The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 23, 1999, 08:45 PM   #1
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

I shoot and enjoy Browning HPs in 9mm and .40S&W. I shoot the nines most, however. I've been shooting fairly warm handloads through my Brownings for years with no ill-effects (115 gr JHP @ 1270 ft/sec or 124 gr.JHP @ about 1240 ft/sec). Defensive loads are Triton 115 gr HiVel or QuikShok. Every so often I hear that Brownings will not stand up to hot loads. One of mine has been shot since '71 with the loads mentioned and remains sound and tight. I know that the hotter rounds accelerate wear, but does anyone know of a bonafide instance where a HP cratered because of hot, but within specs, load? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old May 25, 1999, 04:50 AM   #2
Tom B

I don't think the Hi Powers are affected anymore than most guns by hot loads. I own 2 9mm and one 40. The 40 comes with a 20lb recoil spring. I changed to an 18.5lb spring because of problems with the original spring crimping therefore I try to stay away from many hot loads in it. The Hi Power 9mm is the only handgun that I have found to be as accurate as Sigs out of the box. I think +p loads will only increase wear as other pistols.
Old May 25, 1999, 10:47 PM   #3
tanstaafl

Stephen A Camp: How's your brass look? Especially out of the .40S&W? Any signs of excessive "bulging" down by the case head? The Glock .40s are notorious for undersupported barrels in that area and have given rise to the ubiquitous "Glock kB" stories. My BHP in .40S&W shows no signs of a problem in this regard but I only shoot standard pressure .40S&W ammo in it. Stay Safe.
Tom B: I'm curious about your spring problem with your .40S&W. Mine has run a-ok for a thousand rounds or so. It was tuned up by Bill Laughridge right after pruchase, but recoil spring is original.

[This message has been edited by tanstaafl (edited May 25, 1999).]
Old May 25, 1999, 11:57 PM   #4
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

In answer to your question, NO. My cases do not bulge and I know, as that's one of the first things I check with any autoloader. Also, firing pin indentions in primers are nice and round, not a trough or line caused by premature unlocking of the slide and barrel before the bullet's left the barrel. I use the standard factory spring in the .40, but I do replace my 9mm Hi Power recoil springs with 18.5lb springs. These have caused no problems and I hope, prevent battering. Best.
Old May 26, 1999, 05:36 AM   #5
Tom B

Tanstaafl - Spring on my 40 was first crimped while at Alpa Precision while Jim Srogh was fitting Bar Sto. I don't know how. When replacing it I noticed that new spring was bending when I installed it and could also easily crimp. I checked Wolff chart and went down to the next size. This is mostly a range gun and not many hot loads. The crimped spring did cause reliabilty problems so keep a check on yours after disassembly. Rack your slide several times and check for smoothness.
Old June 7, 1999, 12:47 PM   #6
POGO

I remembered a Chas. Petty article in "American Rifleman". Sorry, it took a while to find but this may help. November 1989 "9mm ammunition" page36. "Browning on the other hand, forwarded a copy of an internal test report in which it fired 5,000 rds. of Remington +P+ 9mm ammunition in a Browning Hi Power pistol. "Inspection of the Hi Power system revealed no unnatural wear to the locking surfaces or any other area. Headspace was checked and found to be acceptable." The conclusion:"...the 9mm Hi Power system appears to be durable enough to withstand long term shooting of the new +P+ ammunition from Remington." This article did'nt say which P-35, was the MkIII out then? POGO
Old June 7, 1999, 06:09 PM   #7
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

POGO, greetings and thanks for the information. I'm not really sure when the MkIIIs came out, but it has been a few years.
Anyway, thanks again for the post. Best.
Old June 8, 1999, 03:31 PM   #8
chargar

The Browning Hi-Power was designed to use Euro-spec ammo which is like out +P stuff.
Old June 9, 1999, 12:33 AM   #9
BOGE

If I remember correctly the MKIII came out in '82. Don't quote me.