The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 21, 2004, 05:53 PM   #26
1KPerDay

Stupid rule. Makes no sense.
Old May 21, 2004, 10:12 PM   #27
guy sajer

One only has to remember the source of the rules . That will pretty much sum it up . Remember , they're here to help us .

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .
Old May 21, 2004, 10:19 PM   #28
RenegadeX

Quote:

Oh, if you decide to get a suppressor, get a wipeless type (sionic, I think). Wipes are generally unavailable and expensive. You can buy the suppressor, but nobody will sell you wipes!?!!?!?!?

Wipe designs are old technology. The idea that the bullet actually touches something as it passes through the can is insane. Besides, they were only good for a few hundred rounds (or less), before they needed new wipes.
Old May 22, 2004, 08:13 PM   #29
1KPerDay

Yes, yes. Unfortunately, I was not instructed in the proper way by my dealer. He just said, "Meh, you can make your own wipes."

Ummmm... yeeeeah.
Old May 28, 2004, 04:42 PM   #30
Sleuth

In keeping with my military arms collection, I have a 1928AC Thompson, a BAR, and a 1919A4. Noth'in says lovin like a belt in the 1919A4. The MP5 (W/can) is just for fun.
Old May 28, 2004, 05:02 PM   #31
guy sajer

I miss my BAR

I had a Winchester M1918 . What's yours Sleuth ? Also sold my BSA Lewis M1914 .

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .
Old June 1, 2004, 11:43 AM   #32
Sleuth

Mine is a Group Industries - which is a good thing, as I am NOT reluctant to shoot it. And I got a great deal on it, about 10 years ago.
Old June 7, 2004, 04:20 PM   #33
FirstFreedom

I've never had a class III license or weapon, but in analyzing the situation from my viewpoint, I've come to a couple of general observations:

1. The cost of the license itself is not so bad; nor does the red tape seem too extensive. BUT, unfortunately, what's prohibitive is the actual cost of the WEAPONS to non-LEO's. On a principle basis, and a budget basis both, I refuse to pay $5,000 to $15,000 for the exact same weapon that my local LEOA can get for $525.

2. My gun range doesn't allow full auto, license or not, so what's the point until I can buy some land of my own? Ostensibly, the reason behind the prohibition is that the muzzle climb in the hands of a noob will result in bullets flying over the berm and land on the neighbors a mile down the way...

Also, BTW, you're obviously going to have trouble if you have any felonies or domestic violence misdemeanors or even a domestic civil TRO. Not sure about other misdemeanors. I don't have a problem there, but some do....

Also, word to the wise: don't ever, in any way, file down the sear on a Bushy M17 Bullpup like I did, or you WILL have a full-auto rifle on your hands, like it or not, and no select-fire option for semi auto (I did not like it one bit, specially since I have no license for same). There is NO room on that sear for getting a better trigger without going full auto. NONE. I went through 3 sears before giving up on a better trigger. If you want a good trigger, get a different rifle. But don't take even a few thousandths off the m17 sear, or you'll be sorry.
Old June 7, 2004, 04:58 PM   #34
Sleuth

First, let me clarify that you do not get a license to own, you purchase a stamp (remember the Stamp Act????) for each C3 gun. You cannot buy the stamp with any felonys or a DV order.
Licencees (dealers) get to by pre and post samples at much lower prices, but you need to be activly engaged in the bussiness.
Too bad there is no place near you to shoot C3 - they are FUN.
Old June 7, 2004, 05:21 PM   #35
RenegadeX

Quote:
1. The cost of the license itself is not so bad; nor does the red tape seem too extensive. BUT, unfortunately, what's prohibitive is the actual cost of the WEAPONS to non-LEO's. On a principle basis, and a budget basis both, I refuse to pay $5,000 to $15,000 for the exact same weapon that my local LEOA can get for $525.
While this is true, it is also true that in 3 years that LEO weapon will sell for $100 less than when it was new, and your weapon will sell for $5000 more than whatever you paid for it.

Don't view it as a gun, view it as an investment.

Quote:

Also, BTW, you're obviously going to have trouble if you have any felonies or domestic violence misdemeanors or even a domestic civil TRO. Not sure about other misdemeanors. I don't have a problem there, but some do....
If you have felonies or DVs you can not own a semi-auto weapon either, so there is no difference with regards to disqualifiers.
Old June 8, 2004, 08:50 PM   #36
Chipperman

"If you have felonies or DVs you can not own a semi-auto weapon either, so there is no difference with regards to disqualifiers."

That's not exactly true, if you count age as a disqualifier.

From Full-auto.com:
• WHO CAN OWN A MACHINE GUN?
GENERALLY IF YOU MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA YOU CAN OWN A MACHINEGUN. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW OWNERSHIP OF NFA ITEMS, PLEASE CHECK OUR STATE LAWS LIST HERE.
1. OVER 21 YEARS OF AGE
2. NO DISHONORABLE DISCHARGED FROM THE ARMED SERVICES
3. NOT AN ALIEN ILLEGALLY IN THE U.S.
4. NOT ADJUDICATED MENTALLY DEFECTIVE, OR COMMITTED TO A MENTAL INSTITUTION
5. NOT AN UNLAWFUL USER OF DRUGS OR CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
6. NEVER RENOUNCED YOUR U.S. CITIZENSHIP
7. NOT A FUGITIVE FROM JUSTICE
8. NOT UNDER INDICTMENT FOR A CRIME PUNISHABLE BY MORE THAN A YEAR
9. NOT CONVICTED OF A CRIME WHERE YOU COULD HAVE BEEN SENTENCED FOR MORE THAN A YEAR. USUALLY A FELONY.
10. NOT SUBJECT TO A COURT ORDER RESTRAINING YOU FROM HARASSING, STALKING, OR THREATENING AN INTIMATE PARTNER OR CHILD OF SUCH PARTNER.
Old June 8, 2004, 09:37 PM   #37
MeekAndMild

Quote:
While this is true, it is also true that in 3 years that LEO weapon will sell for $100 less than when it was new, and your weapon will sell for $5000 more than whatever you paid for it.
That is really kind of scary. My SMG has doubled in value in 4 years. On a smaller scale of things that is better than paintings, gold and diamonds in the same time frame.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.