The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2016, 06:18 PM   #1
axis223

Neck sizing mixed 233?

Looking at either bulk fc or mixed brass and wondering if I can neck size mixed brass for a bolt gun?
Old April 29, 2016, 07:11 PM   #2
condor bravo

Most probably consider it to be neck sizing only when using a full length die if the shoulder is not set back and the cases will chamber properly. But that may be the problem when neck sizing mixed cases fired in a variety of firearms. If that will work, fine, and should be ideal but for 100 mixed cases you might have to try each one for chamber fit. You never know if some might have been fired in a longer chamber than others or may lengthen during sizing and may require some shoulder set back for any individual rifle. The situation would be simplified if all cases were fired in the same rifle. But since they probably were not, my approach would probably be to screw the die down to where contact is made with the shell holder. Size a number of cases and if they all chamber properly, you may be good for all but of course not necessarily. If some chamber with resistance, meaning the case length has stretched during sizing, the die may have to be turned down a little farther to contact the shoulder. I think most of that was discussed in your previous post.

With mixed brass, most will probably recommend to full length to begin with and be done with it and then possibly readjust the die for neck sizing after they have been fired in your rifle. There's not just one size that works for all with every firearm.

Last edited by condor bravo; April 29, 2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old April 29, 2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Mobuck

"Looking at either bulk fc or mixed brass and wondering if I can neck size mixed brass for a bolt gun?"

Generally speaking, you only neck size brass that was originally fired in your gun. If the "mixed brass" (or any other brass) is from an unknown source, it MUST be FL sized and maybe even SB sized to fit your rifle's chamber.
Old April 29, 2016, 08:05 PM   #4
axis223

I know I have to FL and then fire form in one gun but if its different brass would neck sizing say lc 11 and 12, 13 and wcc for the same loads make a difference if the brass is different?
Old April 29, 2016, 08:45 PM   #5
condor bravo

Theoretically it should not make a difference if the mixed brass were fired in the same gun but you would have to try them to see. They should all size the same but they all may need to be full length sized. You just never know if say heavier Federal brass would size differently than lighter Winchester brass even when fired in the same rifle but I don't recall ever finding that to be the case. Try to get brass with the same headstamp, preferably commercial. I would suggest Remington since it is generally on the heavier side.

Last edited by condor bravo; April 29, 2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old April 29, 2016, 09:35 PM   #6
wpsdlrg

Mixed brass should not be a problem for neck sizing. As others already said, generally, you neck size cases for one particular rifle, after those cases have been fired in that rifle. Problems that do occur will be with cases significantly different in wall thickness from others. If you have two different rifles with chambers that are very very close to each other (virtually the same).....it is possible to share neck sized cases between them. I do this, as a matter of fact, with a bolt gun I have, as well as an AR. Defies conventional practice.....but it works in this circumstance.

The two chambers in question (on my rifles) happen to be as close to identical as I can measure.....well less than 0.001" in any dimension. Carefully measured chamber casts of each proved this. The shared brass works perfectly in both rifles, so far. But, I am vigilant in keeping an eye out for cases that might not fit both.

If neck sizing mixed brass for only one rifle, your chances of problems are much smaller. All of my .223 brass, for example, is VERY mixed. Lots and lots of different brands. Lots of military spec brass, in addition to commercial stuff. All of it seems to work just fine.
Old April 29, 2016, 09:40 PM   #7
603Country

FL size them if they have not already been fired in your rifle. Then load and shoot them. Neck sizing after that will work till the cases grow to be snug in the chamber. Then FL resize again. This is a basic outline of the process and says it in about the fewest words I can manage.

If you are looking for the max accuracy you can get, mixed cases aren't likely to get you there, but neck sizing (in my experience) won't either unless you are using a Lee Collet Die.

A couple of years ago I did an in depth work up with a number of die types on loads for a new 223. When I had finished up, just for grins, I loaded up a lot of mixed brass with that best load and shot groups, just to see what would result. I was surprised to find that the 10 shot groups with mixed brass weren't much worse. They had a bit more scatter, but would work just fine for hunting purposes.
Old April 29, 2016, 09:41 PM   #8
Mobuck

"would neck sizing say lc 11 and 12, 13 and wcc for the same loads make a difference if the brass is different?"

My experience is there's a wee bit of difference between WCC and FC (not sure you can get by with equal max loads) but neck sizing won't be a problem.
Old April 29, 2016, 10:07 PM   #9
cw308

Chambers in the same caliber aren't cut exactly the same. CB gave you good advise, F/L size first, don't oversize, easy way just let the die make light contact with the shell holder. After it chambers & fires in your rifle, if you rather neck size then go from there.