The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2015, 03:46 AM   #26
Hammerhead

I use the RCBS Ram prime on top of my press. Not the fastest, but it gives great feel when seating primers.
Old January 13, 2015, 05:48 AM   #27
hartcreek

BUt Hamerhead you get your grubby fingers on each primer so not only is it slow you have more of a chance of having a squib.
Old January 13, 2015, 01:42 PM   #28
daboone

"BUt Hamerhead you get your grubby fingers on each primer so not only is it slow you have more of a chance of having a squib. "

I've heard this myth many times that handling individual primer is "BAD". Maybe if your fingers are "Grubby", filthy, oily or sweaty maybe so. I bet those "grimy" guys have other problems as well. There are many who have loaded a tons of primers one at a time on single stage presses by various means with out this being an issue other than being slow. The CO-AX press has one of the most precise priming systems available and it requires a one at a time hands on process.
Old January 13, 2015, 04:21 PM   #29
MarkGlazer

RKGs' press looks "cool." I'm putting it on my list.....
Old January 13, 2015, 09:23 PM   #30
A pause for the COZ

The only issue I found with priming one at a time by hand. I think ( not sure) that primers have Nitro Glycerin in them.
I have a bad habit of going to my mouth all the time.

I have had a few bouts of racing heart after loading sessions priming by hand.

I still load some by hand. But I try to stay aware of the risks and wear rubber gloves and try not to go to mouth with my hand.
Since I work not to contaminate my self I had not had a bout of racing heart after loading.

Need to be aware of it though.
Old January 13, 2015, 10:44 PM   #31
Heavy Metal 1

"hahahaha welcome to my world. I gave up priming on my progressives a while ago."

I found out that at least on a Lee Pro 1000 one can prime 30-06 and similar cases such as 8mm using the 45ACP shellplate. Like a ram prime it seats to a consistent depth that has never failed me and the speed is only limited by my coordination.
Old January 13, 2015, 11:10 PM   #32
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
"hahahaha welcome to my world. I gave up priming on my progressives a while ago."

I found out that at least on a Lee Pro 1000 one can prime 30-06 and similar cases such as 8mm using the 45ACP shellplate. Like a ram prime it seats to a consistent depth that has never failed me and the speed is only limited by my coordination.
I have tried that too. Except using a LNL AP. Makes hammering out 1000 or so 9mm's or 45's pretty easy.
De prime/ Size and re prime.
Thats it, then set up the machine for loading.

I have enough crap that I can fill all 5 stations with out re sizing any way.
#1 Powder drop/ expand
#2 Powder check die
#3 Bullet feed die
#4 Bullet seat die
#5 Crimp die.
Old January 13, 2015, 11:10 PM   #33
Panfisher

I use both at times
Only have my old Rock Chucker for a press so only single stage for me. I have better feel on the big press but it is slow. Small primers get done with a Lee hand primed and fully seat. I have another Lee for large primers but it doesn't quite fully seat them, but it is faster, so I quickly install them them a fast run through the big press to fully seat them, also pretty fast since I don't have to put each primer into the little cup on the press. Not the best system obviously, but it's what have.
Old January 15, 2015, 12:57 AM   #34
Hammerhead

Quote:
BUt Hamerhead you get your grubby fingers on each primer so not only is it slow you have more of a chance of having a squib.
Your fingers would have to be pretty oily for enough oil to get on the outside of the primer, then migrate all the way around to the inside of the cup.

I've handled every primer I've ever loaded, 20 years worth, and never had that happen. If my hands feel oily, I wash them before I start. Much ado about nothing.
Old January 15, 2015, 08:05 AM   #35
gman3

Yes, I agree. Much Ado about nothing. If you are not using a progressive, then just get a RCBS universal hand priming tool and get on with your life.

Very easy to use, and you want have to wonder about a priming tool anymore.

They are cheap enough that if it should ever break, which it probably will not if you use it right, you can just get another one to replace it.