The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 14, 2009, 07:27 PM   #26
Steviewonder1

3 Headshots

The lifeboat had been gradually pulled towards the destroyer. It was only 40 yards off the tail of the boat. That is just a bit longer than your average range. Caliber was likely .308 and 10 power night vision enhanced scopes. These guys parashooted into the ocean to be picked up and brought on board of the destroyer to do the mission.
What a great way to end the day!
Old April 15, 2009, 09:10 AM   #27
Brit

Possibly aiming down at 30 degree? angle, was not the best bet whilst the Captain was inside that self contained lifeboat.

How about a seal (or two) hanging off the back of the LB, little loops all over, gun of the day in two hands (they would be secured via clips so hands free) ear piece radio in place. "On three, One. two, three!" the one with the AK, history. The two in the hatch, shot from the water, from each side of the hatch. All shots would be frangible 9mm.

Remember bits of body and bone can be lethal, why use a 2700 fps .308 into the skull, when a burst of 9mm frangible would do the trick, especially from sea level aimed up.?

Wondered why no video? That's why, seaborne assault, Navy Seals live in that medium. Do you think they want their tactics played live on the 50" flat screens in Somalia. You can be sure of one thing, how ever that wee scene was played out, it will not be on Utube any time soon.
Old April 15, 2009, 09:21 AM   #28
Creature

Quote:
Possibly aiming down at 30 degree?
No way. The deck of the fantail on a Arliegh Burke DDG (Flight IIA) is about 15 ft above the water line. No way was there a 30 degree angle.

click here for photo

As for actual tactics involved, there isnt a whole lot involved other than positioning on the fantail of the DDG and waiting for clearnace to get a clean shot off.

Last edited by Creature; April 15, 2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added photo link
Old April 15, 2009, 10:00 AM   #29
va87

Just another day at the office

Its hard for us to believe this, but for the guys that did this....it was just another day at the office.

Once those guys get past Hell week, complete BUD/S, finish up all of the other specialized training, and get out to the operational fleet, there is no "gee-whiz" factor there for them. It is their job, just what they do. The guys that pulled the triggers last week have sent untold thousands of rounds down range, likely into human targets, likely in every concievable climate and situation. Popping three sammies at night in a boat was no big deal for them.
IT IS to us and the rest of the nation, but for those guys.....

It was just another day at the office.

Thank GOD for them!
Old April 15, 2009, 11:53 AM   #30
Ian0351

Hoorah SEALs.
Hoorah Practice.

Semper Fidelis
Old April 20, 2009, 10:34 PM   #31
FM12

Never underestimate the effectiveness of a well trained and committed individual, with a good rifle in his hands. Folks fitting that description are precisely the reason we are free.

The BEST two sentenances I've read on any forum in a long time!

We should all be as well trained and committed to something!
Old April 20, 2009, 11:08 PM   #32
Nnobby45

At one time, LE had a device that amounted to a control board monitored by a commander remote from the snipers.

The sniper rifles had a special trigger system that could only be fired from the board. When a sniper had his sight on the target, he pressed the trigger. When the Commander saw each sniper's light lit on the board at the same time, he knew they were all on the target, and could then press the fire button.

Don't remember if he could fire three or five weapons at once.

System was obviously developed for taking out multiple individuals at the same time.

Don't know if that system saw much use, or if it's even still around. Have heard very little about, but it's long enough to have been perfected if it's currently in use.

However the SEALS did it, it's going to remain their secret while the rest of us speculate.
Old April 20, 2009, 11:15 PM   #33
vox rationis

OK here's my Mall Ninja Sniper Simultaneous Shot System (MNSSSS):

Actually I think it might work

Each shooter activates a pressure sensitive switch when he's got a clear shot, that illuminates a green light on a control panel; each shooter is poised to take the shot while he's indicating green. You then have a team leader that is in charge of giving the shoot order. When all shots indicators are green, he gives the order: "shoot". All shooters fire at the same time.

You can also periodically rotate the shooters on station so that they can maintain a ultra high level of concentration.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:22 PM   #34
kraigwy

Some people watch way too much TV

Its TRAINING FOLKS, nothing but good hard consistant TRAINING.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 21, 2009, 05:31 PM   #35
vox rationis

Quote:
Some people watch way too much TV

Its TRAINING FOLKS, nothing but good hard consistant TRAINING.

...oh yeah, well.... you are just jealous that you don't have my fancy system

Old April 23, 2009, 12:05 PM   #36
lawboy

I DO NOT KNOW IF THE SNIPERS USED THIS DEVICE. However, I will mention it here because I do know that such a device was developed and tested for sniper use in the 1980s. I have a book that discusses its use and training and has photos of same in my firearms library. Really, in this day and age a device like this could me made very small, light and reliable, and wireless to boot.

It is a simple computerized firing mechanism that is attached to the three rifles. As the snipers get clear shots on target, each one holds his trigger down. If the shot goes away, the individual snipers release their triggers. If at any time, all three triggers are depressed, the computer fires the guns simultaneously. Simple as that. The system will only fire if the specified number of inputs are occurring at once. With this system, you could have 50 shots taken together on 50 targets by 50 snipers.
Old April 23, 2009, 01:22 PM   #37
Ian0351

While we're at it... I'm sure that CNN gave us all the straight dope on how this whole ordeal went down... No OpSec, no intentional disinformation for potential hijackers. Nope, the American public has a right to know!

Semper Fidelis
Old April 23, 2009, 10:01 PM   #38
2harp2hooter

Quote:
Seriously, does anybody know how those SEALs put 3 bullets in 3 heads at 75 feet at sea, and when it appears from what I've read that one of the pirates was in the cabin (thru-window shot?).. all at the same time? At night?

I'm curious.

Basically, it comes down to Training. The SEAL Teams, along with NavSpecOps in general, train to a very high degree. Others on here have obviously delved into more specifics in relation to such, but I can simply state from experience that SEALs can consistently hit a 2 Inch Target at 1000+ Ft., during Recreational Shooting.

-PO1 Marcus Luttrell [On loudmouth who was bad mouthing the U.S. in front of him].
Old April 24, 2009, 07:53 PM   #39
quinn2187

just an observation

did anyone see the pictures of the liferaft releasedafter the incident was over? i saw one on the news with more than three bullet holes in the boat. maybe not as precise as being said. maybe 3 bad guys standing in boat, one hostage sitting lower. 3 good guys sent 3 busrt high, while the navy makes the 4th bad guy watch. now i have absolutely no idea how this actualy went down, but the picture did show multiple bullet holes in the boat.
Old April 24, 2009, 08:02 PM   #40
zxcvbob

Quote:
Each shooter activates a pressure sensitive switch when he's got a clear shot, that illuminates a green light on a control panel; each shooter is poised to take the shot while he's indicating green. You then have a team leader that is in charge of giving the shoot order. When all shots indicators are green, he gives the order: "shoot". All shooters fire at the same time.
Put all those switches in series (or into an AND gate) and the light or buzzer doesn't come on until all three buttons are pushed simultaneously. They don't need a spotter to tell them when to fire, that only creates a delay.

(I dunno if that's how they did it, but it would be plausible and cheap to implement)
Old April 24, 2009, 09:10 PM   #41
Swampghost

When I was a kid, back in the '50's and 60's, Dad had an 80 ft. sailboat and when we hit bluewater I was allowed to haul out my .22 rifle and shoot at collected trash.

Shooting from a moving vessel at another moving target definitely takes some skill. As far as a spotter, no way, no use other than range and you will NEVER make a distance shot under these conditions.

If you really want to get into details, I have them. Wave lengths/heights, ship roll rates. In the end it all goes back to instinct shooting which is what Dad was teaching me.