The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 9, 2007, 12:59 AM   #1
FrontSight

Funny thing happenned to me tonight

So I'm riding the NYC Subway home, and the yankee game was on tonight, so of course there are 100,000 yuppies riding on it, too. None of whom, in all likelyhood, have ever hunted before, nor even ever held - let alone fired - a gun. Everytime there's a yankee game, these yuppies cause me to get home 45 minutes later than I should, but that's another story.

So I'm standing, reading the current issue of Outdoor Life, and two of these male yuppy yankee fans are sitting down in front of me. And soon I start to notice that they are looking up at my magazine and chuckling. They are actually nudging each other and trying to hold in their laughter at the hunting articles and ads. As if it's funny that I'm a hunter.

They can't see the irony of how they are on their way to be mere spectators of other people's feats, while I am the one who actually participates in my chosen sport, benefit wildlife in the process, and take part in nature on a personal level. I felt sorry for these two.

Well, after a while, it was getting more & more annoying, as their laughter and face-making increased. Well, I always believed in speak lightly and carry a big stick...

I waited till I couldn't take it anymore, just to see if it would stop. But it didn't. So, remembering that there was an article on the Sabre AR-type rifle (thanks Jim Zumbo for making that possible in a twisted way) with a nice, big picture of the "Evil Black Rifle", I turned to that page and flipped it over so it was displayed prominently in their direction.

Their faces literally went from to

In the middle of their "oh my gods" and "holy craps" I peeked out from the side of the magazine and said "Don't worry guys...I'm not dangerous."

They said a few barely coherent words, I believe the jist being "we were hoping that you aren't." And their faces went from to

They didn't laugh, giggle, or even talk much after that.

When they were getting off, I was done reading the magazine, so I tore my subscription info off and gave them the issue, suggesting they take a look and see if they would maybe become interested in hunting or fishing one day. I figured better to have them learn a little something from our sport and MAYBE appreciate it one day, instead of running to tell their friends about how they had just been really freaked out by some crazy guy with a picture of an "evil black rifle" in his magazine.

For all I know they threw it into the first garbage can they found, but it still made me feel really good, and yet really sad, all at the same time.

It's ignorant fools like this that are as much a threat to our heritage as any politician who strives to get their vote.
Old October 9, 2007, 01:03 AM   #2
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
That was great LOL. But yeah it's sad. You practically gave them the bird by showing them that EBR ad in you magazine. How old were these guys?
Old October 9, 2007, 01:20 AM   #3
FrontSight

Yeah, it was a moment of inspiration, lol. They looked to be about 30 or so (I'm 34). Definitely not kids. Well, maybe "big kids".
Old October 9, 2007, 01:59 AM   #4
Dirty_Harry

Good call on giving them the magazine. I would have guessed that they were younger than 30 though. Wow immature. Good post.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 9, 2007, 08:14 AM   #5
News Shooter

About every three or four months I take all my American Rifleman's and Cowboy CHronicles over to the Starbucks at Harvard Square and scatter them around. Then I stand across the street for a few minutes to see if the police show up