The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 5, 2007, 09:32 PM   #1
chris in va

Never hunted before...maybe this year?

Hunting was not in my family lineage. For some odd reason, it got me curious this year. I know nothing about deer hunting, can someone send me a link they recommend...'Hunting for Dummies' etc?

Another thing that struck me as odd, the hunter safety course here locally in VA is two days of instruction (free). My CHP was an afternoon.
Old October 6, 2007, 12:13 AM   #2
Scorch

Quote:
the hunter safety course here locally in VA is two days of instruction (free). My CHP was an afternoon
That's because hopefully you won't be shooting your carry handgun. Most people who go hunting want to shoot. Also, most people who decide to carry a concealed personal defense handgun already know how to use a gun.
Old October 8, 2007, 05:37 PM   #3
22-rimfire

I'd head to the bookstore and do some browsing in the hunting/fishing section. I grew up with it so it is hard to simplify the whole hunting deal. I would suggest you take the hunter safety class (all two days of it ), and buy your license. I believe you have a good place to potentially hunt if I recall your old posts. I assume you have a suitable rifle or firearm.

If I knew nothing at all about hunting in the East, I'd choose a ridge and stand along a natural gap where deer frequently cross. Deer will often bed down on the ridges and migrate down to the lower elevations to feed during the night and vice versa. So, you will be sitting where they are coming to you after their nights feed. If there is hunting pressure, deer will be moving around and the gaps or saddles are perfect spots to watch for your deer.

You can hunt fields too or the woods along the edges of fields. Unless you catch them feeding in the fields, it is a hit or miss thing. This is rifle season vs bow season. Archery season is different as you often hunt closer to the food source area along trails that feed into or out of that area.
Old October 8, 2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

If you are on YAHOO, go to the maps section and bring up your area where you intend to hunt. You will notice fingers of timber that narrow down from one place to another place of timber. These are called funnel points. Most deer don't like to travel across open areas and will tend to travel through the funnel points. These are generally where I will put my stands, if I am hunting an area that is unfamiliar to me. It is a good place to start, and with a little scouting, it is easy to see if the deer in that area are using them. Hope this helps a little.
Old October 8, 2007, 05:56 PM   #5
davlandrum

Might be a little late this year, depending on availability of hunter's safety course, but by your post - it sounds like you can make one.

There is a lot to learn that might be hard to learn on your own, i.e. gutting, processing meat, tree stand site selection, safety, etc.

I know it can be done on your own, but finding a co-worker/relative/mentor that can help you through that first year would make it a lot easier.

Also, reading most hunting regs these days takes a law degree. My buddy and I were looking at this years regs at hunting camp this year trying to decide where to put in for tags next year and the two of us combined, with a lot of hunting under our boots, couldn't figure out some of the units and restrictions.

I started late (almost 30), but had some good (and some bad) mentors.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 8, 2007, 05:59 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

I would not be surprised at all if in the bookstore there is indeed a "hunting for dummies" book out there - they make them for *everything* under the sun, so that wouldn't be a bad place to start in all seriousness. As mentioned, ask a lot of questions at the hunter safety course, and see if anyone seems willing to take you under their wing and be your mentor. If not, just starting asking many *specific* questions right here on gun boards as you do your reading of books. I would not rely on magazine articles, but books - mag articles will be from hunting magazines, which cater to their readers who are on average, somewhat seasoned, and thus will be advanced or moderately advanced, not the basic info you need. Good luck and report back.

Oh yeah, as mentioned, get a copy of the hunting regs from the wildlife department or a retail store, and read them through - and peruse the state wildlife dept's website for info on public hunting lands (if you need that), etc.
Old October 8, 2007, 06:01 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Check in the Hunting forum at http://www.thehighroad.org. There's a "mentors" thread there, stickied, with posts from folks who are willing to help newbies. Might be one from your area...

Art
Old October 8, 2007, 07:54 PM   #8
chris in va

Thanks guys, looks like I have some reading to do.
Old October 8, 2007, 08:00 PM   #9
fisherman66

You can learn a lot from books, but some of the practical knowledge comes from experience. While it may not be vital, it sure would help if you had a mentor. Hunter safety class may provide you with a lead or two.
Old October 8, 2007, 09:10 PM   #10
bswiv

Take a look at the thread on the forum titled "How picky are you".............some valuable insight for the new hunter from the old.
Old October 8, 2007, 10:04 PM   #11
Ian2005

Im still a relatively new hunter, and although I would like to go deer hunting, the cost & time is high compared to all the time I spend duck hunting. Not to mention, it's less messier