The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 9, 2004, 11:03 AM   #1
Ohio Annie

Safes and cabinets

Dear Firing Line people,

I recently realized I need a gun safe or cabinet, especially since in my state if your guns are stolen and then used in a crime you can be charged with felony GROSS negligence. I want a safe (expensive, heavy for moving into a new house) or cabinet (lighter, affording less protection). Would you people care to write about what your security solutions are? I am leaning toward a Ft. Knox maverick model which will hold long and handguns. Delivered and installed by my local safe company the total cost is about 1100 bux. Homak makes a nice corner unit that holds long guns and has shelves in the middle but alas no dealers are here. Also a consideration is that I have only a small car and no strong friends with trucks (we are all nerds).

Keep SAFE.
Old September 9, 2004, 09:14 PM   #2
VaughnT

Commendable that you should think about securing your weapons. There are two ways to go.

The 'safe' is a large, very heavy box that is very, very hard to get into unless you have a box full of tools and some time on your hands. You can't go wrong with most any safe on the market. Just be sure that your floors can handle the load. And, don't go with an electronic keypad entry as they are a booger when the power's out.

The cabinets are near worthless as they can be opened with relative ease with simple hand tools, or are so light that you and a buddy can carry them off, fully loaded, to open at your leisure.

If you go with the cheaper cabinet (they're cheaper for a reason), get a smaller model that you can tuck into the closet and keep reasonably hidden. I'm sure it's a violation of some law to suggest a woman give up closet space, but it really is a good way to limit access to the safe and make removal more difficult.
Old January 1, 2005, 01:36 AM   #3
BillCA

If your intent is to safeguard your firearms against someone burglarizing your home then buy the safe.

I had the Homak cabinet in the closet. BGs broke in, found it and managed to defeat a door. 12 hand guns gone.
Old January 7, 2005, 03:21 AM   #4
oakmax1

safes

Annie, Get a safe. I'll help with the move if you're nearby.
Chris
youngstown, oh
[email protected]