The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 25, 2009, 10:47 AM   #1
boatmonkey82

Just wondering here

What is the smallest target or object shot and what range did you shoot it at ? like a thumb tack @ 500 yrds with a .22 .I feel some lies on the way here lol
Old January 25, 2009, 10:53 AM   #2
noyes

Mouse (actually lots of mice ) in barn 30 feet with bb gun.
Old January 25, 2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Bee at 1000 yards?

OK, this is not my story. I read about it a gun magazine (Shooting Times, I think) a few decades ago, but I believe it. It is too preposterous not to.

In a 1000 yard match the back half of a bee was found crushed to the paper target (the front half, presumably went throught the bullethole adjacent to the unfortunate insect).

The shooter, of course, claimed credit for the kill.

Lost Sheep.

P.S. I have no idea how to field dress a bee, but I once filetted a 3" trout.
Old January 26, 2009, 05:23 AM   #4
larvatus

Quote:
In a 1000 yard match the back half of a bee was found crushed to the paper target (the front half, presumably went throught the bullethole adjacent to the unfortunate insect).
Was its name Eric?
Old January 30, 2009, 12:53 PM   #5
oldkim

Honest... it's true

Fly at 36 ft (12 yards) with my Walther P22 (.22LR)

I was shooting at an outdoor range on a nice clear day. Only 2 other shooters but they were down the line away from me. Shooting at my target and as I was taking a break I saw the fly land on the clear white section of the lower left of my target. Fortunately for me I had warmed up that day and I was shooting pretty well.

Sat down and took aim. Took 95% of the fly out. Only 2 legs sticking out.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old February 1, 2009, 02:00 AM   #6
Cobra_Jet

I shot a golf ball at around 65 yards with my 10/22, took me three tries and I had a rest. I barely knicked the left side and sent it spinning off into the dirt. No mods to the 10/22 (yet) It's not amazing but I was proud none the less.
Old February 1, 2009, 08:04 AM   #7
mikeovers

Some of the best target pratice I have ever had was shooting golf tees at 50yards then at 75 yards and then at 100yards. For anyone out there that does not feel 100 yards is very far try hitting the head of a golf tee at that range. I would not be truthfull if I said I hit my mark every time, but it sure puts a smile on your face when you can take 5 tees in a row at 100yards.
Old February 1, 2009, 10:31 PM   #8
MosinM38

Gophers (Okay, okay. Richardson ground squirrels). A blast trying them at anywhere between 50-and 350 yards.

Believe it or not (You'd probably have to be there), but a decent rest, and half a day (700-100 rounds already) of shooting and you can nail them suckers regularly (With a ruger 96 Lever action.22).

Pistols: Charter Arms Explorer II can take gophers out to 50 yards at least 1/2 the time.....That big, long 8" barrle and 12(?)" sight radiius sure helps.

Are we talking regularly? or flukes? Above is regular.

Below is the most fluke shot:

First day after I had my Ruger single-six .22 Saw a gopher out (Mid-february...poor dumb..uhhm..) First shot, only half-trying. Tipped him over at a paced off 175 yards.......I'd never be able to do that again in a million years.

Either that or the time I dusted a pheasent 6 feet off the barrel of my 12 gauge....Needless to say we did NOT eat him.
Old March 1, 2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Double J

5 gallon bucket,1500 yards with 2.5" bore smoothbore cannon. The second ball hit dead on. The rest of the day was wasted trying to repeat it. Most shots hit in a 25+ foot circle.
Old March 5, 2009, 02:52 AM   #10
btl55823

damn double J thats nuts.

my best is I knicked a quarter from 400 yrds with a mini 14/with scope.

but just for practice and also hella fun is whackin off really shakin 2 liter bottles of orange soda (label takin off, shove them upside down in the dirt and they become neon orange in the sun) from 550 yrds with the mini 14.

the best shot I have seen...
My old boss shot clear through a quarter with the whole rim of it in tact from 800 yrds.
Old March 7, 2009, 05:26 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I routinely, as a child along with my "shootin' buddy", called our bb gun shots on sparrows and pigeons. Through the eye was one call as was top or bottom beak and left or right leg... we also cleared the grain bins of mice by climbing in and scuffin our feet and when they ran the wall we picked them off on the run. Also kicked over the clumped wheat stalks after harvest to root out field rats and get them as they ran from us.
One of the best mornings of shooting was my only negative contact with a conservation officer... we saw fingerling trout swimming in a creek under the bridge so we commenced to shooting them. I told "SB" that my mom would fry them up for us with eggs from his aunts hen house. I found an empty bread sack and we crammed it slap full... had to be 25-50 fish in their... We were walking along when the DNR officer pulled up. Asked in a nice way what we had... I tried to say "got us some smelt" He said "you boys know dang well them are trout!" He then goes on to tell us of bag limit, size limit and method of take violations... Next he says "see the tanker stoppin' back there?" He just dumped those upstream in a re-stocking program...
He asked what we were gonna do with 'em. I said I am gonna ask momma to cook 'em for breakfast. He loads us, our bb guns and fish and heads to the house. I am crappin' thinkin' my po' parents ain't gonna be happy with a fine and I am losing my bb gun too.
he walks to the door and momma is there in her 20 year old pink house robe. Officer asks her if she knew what we were up to... She said "He is gone shootin' every morning before sunup unless he is in school."
He commenced to tell her of our heinous violation of michigan fishing regs and shows the bag. He then tells her I intended to have her fry them up and her reply was... "If it is edible and hogdogs cleans it, we cook it and eat it." I then pipe up and say with a smug look... "Tell me them ain't gonna be a sweet meat with eggs" He tells her the only reason we were not cited was her corroborating my intent to eat them. She then asked if he would like a trout and eggs sandwich to go... he looks at me and says "SEE YER MOM EVEN KNEW THEY ARE TROUT" He then declined to take her up on the offer as "A conflict of interest" (first time I remember hearing that term)... And yes they were the tastiest breakfast meat I ever had!

As an adult I used to shoot 20 gauge hulls at 100 yards with my Marlin 60 and S&W .22 auto loader...
Brent
Old March 7, 2009, 09:42 AM   #12
kraigwy

Laugh all you want, but go to a high power match. Take a trip to the pits and check out all the broken spindles laying around.

At slow fire 600 & 1000 yard matches, its not unhead of for one to catch the wind just right and shoot the crap out of a 3 inch spotter, many times I've had to dig up a new spindle.

The spindles as we know are a pincel shaped device to hold the spotter on the target. If you've ever pulled targets you'll quickly see the need for eye protection in the pits.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 8, 2009, 09:29 PM   #13
HiBC

There is a book "Precision Shooting at 1000 yards"
(I think that is the right book) anyway,these guys set up a shot on a prairie dog and shot it from so far away,I'm not even going to tell you,because you wouldn't believe it! It was a.338 Lapua.
But,that wasn't me.

Grapefruits are easy to see and hard to hit sitting @ 300,but fun when you hit them,and biodegrade.
Old March 13, 2009, 12:15 PM   #14
utsandmann

Let's see, I've gotten a sqirrel at about 25 yards dead in the heart with a Glock 23. Round went through so clean that he didn't even move for the couple of seconds it took him to bleed out, then he just toppled straight back off the tree.
Old March 13, 2009, 12:36 PM   #15
protectedbyglock

Remember back when sunoco had those presidential coins? They were gold colored, about the size of a $.50 piece, They each had the head of a different president on them. They would give you one every time you got gas. Well, me and my buddy were on our way to the range with his M1 Garand and we got one (Bill Clinton LOL) when we filled up his truck with gas.
Well, when we got to the range and were setting up targets, I taped it to the backstop and we laughed.
I had never shot an M1, and my VERY first shot I nailed it at 100yrds. Right between Bills eyes...with open sights.
It took me about 30mins to find the damn coin, though, because it flew off into the woods.
I still have the coin somewhere, and if I can find it I'll take a pic. It was great. I forgot all about it until now.
Old March 13, 2009, 09:21 PM   #16
THEZACHARIAS

Tie between an 8" hanging steel plate with a walther sp22 & iron sights from 100yds and a stretched 550cord with a glock .40 from 15yds
Old March 14, 2009, 09:46 AM   #17
Re4mer

I suck a distance shooting so this is not an impressive feat but I did get a small orange at 20 yards with my Glock 17 once.
Old April 8, 2009, 08:46 AM   #18
Hog head

When I was eight or so bumble bees at 15-20 yards,79 of 'em if i rember right.It was a crossman pellet rifle.A ground hog at 100 yards with iron sights with a buckmark.
Old April 8, 2009, 09:29 AM   #19
a7mmnut

My dad had repeatedly told me over and over in the 1960's and 1970's to NEVER mount a scope on a rifle or I wouldn't ever learn how to shoot. About the age of 16 or so (cockiness extreme), I decided I'd had enough squirrels get away, and mounted one of those cheap 3/4" 4x scopes on my Ithaca 72 lever rifle. It took several shots to get it just like I wanted it in the 40 yard range of our back yard.

My dad laughed at me for "shooting all my ammunition up" with the new scope, and offered a challenge with his little Winchester single shot. I put a new tuna can up with a nail sticking through the center. We flipped for first go, and dad won. He blared out, "Step back and let the old man show you how it's done, and save some ammo to boot." I'll admit I was a little worried. I'd hunted with this rifle, too, and it was a tack driver at this range. He propped over the towel laid across our aluminum step ladder "bench". At the crack, I instantly saw a good hit near the center, and we walked down to check. It was about 3/4" low @ 7 o'clock from dead center. My turn.

I can remember sweating the shot, the ribbing he gave me on the way back, and trying to calm my breathing as I looked through the blurry glass in the early fall morning heat. Then I thought about missing one squirrel in particular years before, at a range I stepped off at 45 paces. He only had his head stuck out from behind a fork of a huge beech tree, and was barking at me. I knew that this tuna can was a lot bigger than that squirrel's head, and I could focus very clearly now on the center ring of the can with 4 power help. I tried to catch those cross hairs as they fell back down across the ring.

At my shot, the sound was all wrong--sorta like "tick-plank", instead of the usual "tick-pow" that echoed through the back field and woods. "Oh Lord, I don't know what that was all about?", was dad's reply. I just smiled and nervously crossed my fingers. We walked to the board we used as a back stop to check for any sign of the apparently errant shot. There was only the hole of my dad's-a little low, and a bent-over 6P nail that was used to mount the can driven deeply into the center. What was our bet?", Daddy asked with a big "'backer-chewin'" grin. "That you'd let me 'be sick' on Friday so I could get my limit this year?", I questionably replied.

I killed 62 that year, mostly with that little Model 72. It still kills them today, but wearing a better 4x scope, and occasionally makes a miss when it's tired. As for me and my tiring eyes, I've got two squirrel busters to train of my own--or with the help of my little Ithaca friend. I don't doubt they'll outshoot me, as well.

<7><))))))))))))))))))))))