The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 4, 2017, 01:20 AM   #1
marine6680

AR Front Sight Post Adjustments

I put a carry handle on my Colt 6920. I zeroed it in a few weeks back for 100yds, with the rear sight set to 6/3.

Today, I decided to adjust the rear sight drum for the IBZO. Where the default configuration has the 6/3 mark bottoming out the sight... The IBZO has the sight bottom out at 6/3 -4. (minus four clicks)

This -4 position, is to provide a rear elevation setting for a 50yd zero, and maintain the other rear sight markings for their intended ranges. Basically this increases the usefulness of the standard A2 or A4 sight.

Most of you probably know this basic info already...

While doing this, I decided to make the adjustments to the front sight to make it basically hit center when I rezero/confirm zero this weekend. Basically, a 100yd zero shoots around an inch to an inch and a half low at 50yds. So, two clicks up on the FSB should get me in the ballpark.

BUT I noticed something... My sight post is very low, well below flush. I didn't pay it any mind when zeroing at 100yds, as I assumed it was due to the fact I was using the 300yd setting for a 100yd zero.

I do not remember ever sighting in an AR and having the front sight sit so low. Its always been fairly close to flush, usually high.

In fact, the instructions on setting up an IBZO or RIBZO state that using a taller than normal FSP may be needed if you have to adjust the post too high above the sight base.

Anyone else have this happen, where they need to adjust the front sight so low?

Or am I screwing up the sighting somehow. (my contacts do make an odd double vision effect when focusing through the sights, if I don't blink a lot first... maybe that is causing an issue.)
Old November 4, 2017, 05:32 AM   #2
9x19

I only have one AR with a front sight post but it is near flush (sighted in with Magpul folding rear).

I use optics on all of mine.
Old November 4, 2017, 11:56 AM   #3
marine6680

Yeah... I think I need to reset and start over on my zero.
Old November 4, 2017, 12:18 PM   #4
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
I only have one AR with a front sight post but it is near flush (sighted in with Magpul folding rear).

I use optics on all of mine.
Same here.
Old November 5, 2017, 12:44 AM   #5
Stats Shooter

I have a 6920 with colt carry handle.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also use backup irons either 45 degree offset or cowitness on all my other AR's.

The front sight post at 100 yard zero is pretty close to flush on all but one of them, which is about a full turn above flush.

One option is, if you find that it's too low, is to file it down some until you have it where you want it. And if you screw it up, a new one is like $5.
Old November 6, 2017, 05:27 PM   #6
marine6680

Either I screwed up the zero, the sight post is a tall version... Or I just happen to have a rifle that is a bit out of the norm.