The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 26, 2017, 07:03 AM   #1
stagpanther

Hornady's new 6.5 PRC--is this a creedmoor killer?

So Hornady has rolled out a new cartridge with up to 10% more horsepower than their own creedmoor design. This was no arbitrary "let's see if the wildcat will stick" considering they had a battery of manufacturers lined up for both ammo and barrels. These guys are pretty much the cutting-edge in the industry IMO when it comes to custom ammunition design.

Since I've invested considerable time and money into their creedmoor design--I'm intrigued by the "vigorous" roll-out of this precision cartridge. At first blush, the extra power may not seem like much--but the downrange performance at longer distances with larger bullets appears to be a significant advantage over the creedmoor. Spending the time "under the hood" that I have tuning rifles for the creedmoor I can't help but notice some tweaking to the case design--which knowing Hornady--I'm willing to bet addresses some of the cycling vulnerabilities of the creedmoor in semi-automatics. Interesting timing as the creedmoor and it's cats were just taking off--I suspect that there will be no reason for the creedmoor if this one functions well and reliably.
Old October 26, 2017, 09:41 AM   #2
ed308

I suspect that there will be no reason for the creedmoor if this one functions well and reliably.

Figures. And I just built a CM gasser and purchased everything needed to reload it. Maybe I'll wait until the 6 PRC comes out then migrate to that caliber.
Old October 26, 2017, 11:52 AM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

I can't see how using a fatter case is going to serve it well in AR10-type designs, given the constraints of the magwell. I'd imagine that is probably the major semi-auto chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The PRC seems like a downsized 7mm SAUM to me.
Old October 26, 2017, 12:44 PM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
Figures. And I just built a CM gasser and purchased everything needed to reload it. Maybe I'll wait until the 6 PRC comes out then migrate to that caliber.
Well-there are other reasons to have a CR even if it doesn't do as well at long range--it still does better than most other mid-power cartridges. Remains to be seen how much of a barrel burner the PRC is too. I will say this--the 6 mm CR I just built with the rifle+2" gas system is quite novel--never shot anything with that much power with that little felt recoil. Tricky tuning though.
Old October 26, 2017, 01:42 PM   #5
TXAZ

Time (the market) will tell.
I'm betting not.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 26, 2017, 01:49 PM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
Time (the market) will tell.
I'm betting not.
I don't know--Hornady's timing seems unusual--but like you say we shall see. Notice they specifically worked with some makers of semi-auto AR barrels.
Old October 27, 2017, 06:06 AM   #7
stagpanther

Bit more net research--apparently a joint project between Hornady and Ruger based on ruger's compact magnum case. These guys have collaborated on really good design improvements before--the 375 ruger comes readily to mind. Ruger has made a big push into the "affordable" precision rifle market--so this makes total sense--and it appears the PRC is going to marketed through the boutique custom rifle manufacturers first--I couldn't find anyone listing a complete ready-to-go barrel. I suppose Ruger and maybe Savage will be rolling out new rifles with fanfare at the next shot show.

Last edited by stagpanther; October 27, 2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old October 27, 2017, 02:29 PM   #8
bfoosh006

Time will tell... yes, it is interesting with the added velocity.

But, it might be to late for the majority of us... in other words I am not going to trade in the 6.5CM yet.

A key benefit to the 6.5CM is reduced recoil... I am curious what the 6.5 PRC's recoil figures are.

The .22 Nosler looked VERY interesting when it first came out... but ( Imho ) it didn't live up to the velocity claims...

So you ended up with a .22 Nosler with marginally better velocities, and using up brass and barrel life to do it.
Old October 27, 2017, 03:00 PM   #9
stagpanther

It looks like the precision match custom makers are the only ones privy to the barrels at the moment--or is this just passing time as ruger ramps up production of a 6.5 PRC Precision Rifle? I've been having some fun breaking in my new 6mm creedmoor build--it has the XL rifle + 2" gas system and it seems to significantly reduce felt recoil. I wonder if this will make it's way into "match standard" barrels for AR's on a widespread basis.
Old October 28, 2017, 11:40 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

It seems like I read about a new wonder caliber just about every week. I don't see them killing off much of anything, not for decades.

So there is the 6.5 PRC and the .244 Valkyrie. Apparently they are both going to change the world and how we think about shooting, or more than likely, probably not.
Old October 28, 2017, 01:48 PM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
So there is the 6.5 PRC and the .244 Valkyrie. Apparently they are both going to change the world and how we think about shooting, or more than likely, probably not.
The difference being the 6.5 PRC was jointly developed by hornady and ruger--two of the best designer/marketers in the business.
Old October 29, 2017, 04:04 PM   #12
jmr40

I don't think so. The 6.5 PRC is about 200 fps faster than the 6.5 Creed, but still 300 fps slower than the 26 Nosler. We have always had faster, flatter shooting, more powerful rounds than the 6.5 Creed. The 6.5 Creed's appeal is it's efficiency. It burns small powder charges, generates moderate recoil and velocity but used well designed bullets achieve it's goals. If someone really wants a fast 6.5 there are already better options.

Quote:
The difference being the 6.5 PRC was jointly developed by hornady and ruger--two of the best designer/marketers in the business.
I won't argue that, but the Ruger Compact Magnums didn't go anywhere. If someone wants a short magnum the Winchester version is the best way to go. The ONLY reason Ruger and Remington developed their own versions was to get around having to pay a royalty on the WSM's. In fact both Ruger and Remington both offered WSM cartridges briefly. Until Rick Jamison won his lawsuit forcing manufactures to pay him for each WSM rifle and box of ammo sold.

For those not familiar Jamison developed and patented a wildcat round called the 300 Jamison. Winchester stole his idea in creating the WSM line of cartridges and lost the lawsuit.

Winston Churchill
Old October 29, 2017, 04:20 PM   #13
stagpanther

Roger that.
Old October 30, 2017, 11:52 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I am not sure that really even matters.

The question that has to be asked is whether or not this new round is really sufficiently superior and different enough to take significant market share away from other established calibers. I don't think Hornady or Ruger has thought this through very well. As noted, there has always been more velocity and more than the 6.5 PRC. So what is it that is going to make the 6.5 PRC a winner with the consumers? Other than velocity for which it doesn't hold top ranking, what is great about it?
Old October 30, 2017, 12:37 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...r-eld-match#!/
VS
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...r-eld-match#!/
The PRC is another answer to an unasked question. Slightly higher MV with a slightly flatter trajectory. And the Creedmoor is Hornady's invention too. The PRC is another publish or perish thing.
"...Ruger's compact magnum case..." Except that Ruger doesn't make cases or ammo.
Old October 31, 2017, 06:14 AM   #16
fourbore

Quote:
I don't think so. The 6.5 PRC is about 200 fps faster than the 6.5 Creed, but still 300 fps slower than the 26 Nosler. We have always had faster, flatter shooting, more powerful rounds than the 6.5 Creed. The 6.5 Creed's appeal is it's efficiency. It burns small powder charges, generates moderate recoil and velocity but used well designed bullets achieve it's goals. If someone really wants a fast 6.5 there are already better options.

Quote:
I won't argue that, but the Ruger Compact Magnums didn't go anywhere. If someone wants a short magnum the Winchester version is the best way to go. The ONLY reason Ruger and Remington developed their own versions was to get around having to pay a royalty on the WSM's. In fact both Ruger and Remington both offered WSM cartridges briefly. Until Rick Jamison won his lawsuit forcing manufactures to pay him for each WSM rifle and box of ammo sold.

For those not familiar Jamison developed and patented a wildcat round called the 300 Jamison. Winchester stole his idea in creating the WSM line of cartridges and lost the lawsuit.
In this situation, the WSM should be immediately killed and forgotten by the industry. Mistake to steal. Although it was most likely unintended. In my not so humble opinion, it is a big MISTAKE to ever build factory guns around a proprietary round. There is no reason.

Assuming everything I read here today is right. Ruger and Hornady did it right and they deserve the success. I maybe assuming a lot.

The new round is a short magnum and should not be a direct threat to 6.5 cm from "thinking" shooters who know what they want and why. Again, assuming a lot.