The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 24, 2017, 08:05 AM   #1
jad0110

Non FFL holder shipping C&R rifle to C&R holder out of state

Background: I do not hold an FFL license of any type. I bought a Yugo M48 from a Gunbroker seller and C&R FFL 03 holder. He resides in NY and I am in NC. Obviously, to ship the rifle to me it had to go through an FFL on my end.

Anyway, the rifle was damaged in shipment and the shipper refused to honor the insurance claim because the rifle was not "adequately packaged for shipment". The seller / C&R holder in NY has agreed to take the rifle back.

Question: what options do I have to send a long gun (C&R eligible M48 Yugo Mauser) from NC to a C&R holder in NY? If I can ship directly to him via USPS, FedEx or UPS, would I need to obtain a copy of his C&R as CYA for me?

Thank you!
Old September 24, 2017, 08:49 AM   #2
zipspyder

I would assume you always need (or want) a copy of their FFL or C&R to ship to anyone. Cover your butt and ship it through an FFL. May take a financial hit but better safe than sorry. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old September 24, 2017, 09:23 AM   #3
FITASC

Did he send a copy with the gun originally?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 24, 2017, 03:47 PM   #4
tobnpr

I'm confused.
Did the licensee on your end do the 4473 and transfer the rifle to you, or did you reject it?

If the rifle were damaged in shipment, it should have been determined before the 4473 was done- you should have refused acceptance/transfer and the seller pay the licensee for return shipment.

Even before I had my FFL, any firearm I purchased online- even brandy-new ones from Bud's- would be opened and inspected before consenting to the transfer. Once the 4473 is done, you own it.

Sounds like water under the bridge, but important to remember for the future. If it's damaged, or not what you ordered, do not take possession. Inform the seller of the problem and have them contact your FFL to arrange/pay for return shipping.

You definitely need a copy of his 03 (should have been sent with the rifle as your FFL would have needed the info for his Bound Book entry) before shipping back to him.

You can ship a rifle to a licensee however you like. Be sure to double-box it and pack securely. I generally ship via USPS Priority Mail, insured as it's usually lowest cost and I like the idea of it being in transit only 2-3 days. In my experience, they and the common carriers all beat the crap out of the packages with equal brutality.
www.biggorillagunworks.com

Last edited by tobnpr; September 24, 2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old September 24, 2017, 05:39 PM   #5
FITASC

Before you ship it back, TAKE PICTURES! That way the seller can't claim it was delivered fine and got damaged when you sent it back.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 1, 2017, 09:06 AM   #6
Ibmikey

Obtain a copy of his C&R and include a copy with the rifle when you send it back ( not required but just in case package is opened). As others have stated take photos and keep all correspondence involved, ship it fed ex or ups from a distribution center as the package stores are often anti firearms and will cause you frustration with their own made up rules.