The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 23, 2015, 06:44 AM   #26
green_MTman

should be slightly below flush.i would tend to doubt that a few rounds even flush would ignite when you close the bolt face.you have to be a bit above flush generaly for that to happen.but double check with an expert
Old May 23, 2015, 06:21 PM   #27
4runnerman

Most timmes with a bolt rifle if your primer is seated above the base, the bolt will not close.
Old May 24, 2015, 02:37 AM   #28
green_MTman

Right

and the idiots who force it closed are the ones who set the round off.

i prime by feel,if it looks flush but when you touch the bottom of the shell you cant feel the primer.then you know its slightly below flush.i dont know if the eye cant detect slighty bellow flush.if the eye see's below flush you may get a misfire
Old May 26, 2015, 11:08 PM   #29
Prof Young

Follow up on "flush primer" question.

Well I got the Horndy reamer package. It included a handle and reamer for both small and large primer pockets. I put the small one in the chuck of a cordless drill, clamped the drill to my reloading bench, and put a second clamp on the drill trigger. Did a couple hundred 223 in a very short time. Primed them and only had one offer any serious resistance. Good deal.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old May 27, 2015, 12:56 PM   #30
WIL TERRY

Properly made primer pockets with properly dimentioned SAAMI spec primers will seat .005" BELOW flush with the case head.
And so it goes...
Old May 30, 2015, 04:29 PM   #31
Longshot4

For many years I would have many issues seating primers. Finally I purchased a Redding primer pocket uniformer with the handle. I found that it will cut the bottom of the pockets to the corners... I haven't had a single primer seating problem since I have been using the uniformer. The friction is consistent and the depth is also consistent. You will be surprised how much material gets removed when unfirming. The reamer may be the same thing.
Old May 31, 2015, 01:54 PM   #32
thump_rrr

I use a primer pocket uniformer to get all primer pockets to maximum SAAMI depth.

Old June 4, 2015, 05:38 PM   #33
bungiex88

Do you have to remove crimp because I was reloading 308 and didn't know some of the primers were crimped I felt a very little resistance with my hand primer but it seated just like it was a none crimped pocket.