The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 19, 2014, 10:36 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Ruger Hawkeye Predator floating the barrel

My .204 Ruger predator has the laminate factory stock. Seems like when the rifle starts to get warm (shooting prairie dogs --lots of shots in a short time and air temp is 80 degrees or so) the accuracy suffers. When I first got the gun, I worked things up and tested at a shooting range, and it is really accurate. It was late fall and the shooting was at a relaxed pace, so the steel never got really heated up. It irritates me to no end that after several quick shots, the accuracy starts to suffer. My old Savage 22-250 is floated, and I can run 20-25 rounds through it with no change in accuracy. And my CZ American chambered in 222 Remington is the same way.

The gun comes from the factory with a "press bedding" and the barrel channel is fitted tightly to the barrel itself. No free floating on this firearm! So the next thing is to open up the channel, which is no great shakes. The thing that worries me is that the action screw is tightened to 95 inch pounds, and according to Ruger this seats the action and the barrel into the stock. If the barrel is relieved of any contact with the stock, is this going to screw up how the action fits? Would any of you be reluctant to sand the channel? Before plowing into this, it would be reassuring to hear from experienced gun guys.

Thanks for any help!
Old June 20, 2014, 01:54 AM   #2
Scorch

Open her up! If the action is not inletted correctly, it may tip towards the front, but that can be corrected by glass bedding. I wouldn't expect any issues.
Old June 20, 2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Colorado Redneck

Thanks, Scorch. This will be fun---I was feeling kinda lost without a "project" that needed some kind of work to try and make it right. Then this showed up. If time allows will get the results back here on this thread. Maybe someone else will use whatever it turns up.
Old June 22, 2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Bart B.

Virtually all commercial rifles walk shot impact as their barrels heat up. Such is life when the receiver face ain't squared up with the barrel tenon and chamber axis. The high point the barrel shoulder fits against the receiver increases its force at that part as the metal expands from heat. That makes the barrel bend and whip more in that direction before the bullet exits.

It would cost another $30 to $40 per rifle to square up their receiver faces when the action's finished and ready for the barrel. I'd ask the factory folks why they don't choose to do that.