The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 5, 2017, 12:32 AM   #1
T_PRO_Z

Dan wesson .357 magnum ctg info

I recently bought a Dan wesson .357 mag at a local gun show. It is in good shape other than a small amount of holster wear. It has fixed sights on both the 4 in barrel and the 8 in barrel. I payed 450 out the door for it and the barrel removal tool. This is also a monson era revolver.

So the question is, did I do bad? Should I just try and sell it or will it be sturdy enough to provide years of service and fun?

I have heard good things about this pistol and have wanted one for a while. This brings me to a few questions that some of you kind folk may be able to answer:

If taken care of, should I expect a long life out of the gun?( hog hunting with the 8" barrel and the occasional carry with the 4")

Were there any problems with this firearm, weather it be qc problems or bad metal?

And I'd like some personal experience info on the's revolvers.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by T_PRO_Z; November 5, 2017 at 03:08 AM.
Old November 5, 2017, 06:15 AM   #2
MC 1911

I've had several and they were all accurate and reliable. You did fine, shoot it and enjoy!
Old November 5, 2017, 06:24 AM   #3
UncleEd

As the signs say in the London Tube: "Mind the gap"
Old November 5, 2017, 07:24 AM   #4
mdemetz

Have you been to?
https://www.danwessonforum.com/
Old November 5, 2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Smoke & Recoil

Dan Wesson 15-2, .375 mag, 8" VH...27 years of shooting and still going strong.
Old November 5, 2017, 08:13 AM   #6
T_PRO_Z

I tried uploading pictures but it said error so there won't be any pictures to show. Sorry guys.

It feels well made and if I'm just ringing steel I'll probably be usin .38 special but for huntil it will be loaded with appropriate rounds for the task.

I will probably end up with a stainless version with adjustable sights
Old November 5, 2017, 01:59 PM   #7
SIGSHR

Fixed sights on the 4" and 8 " barrel ? My Model 15 was made in 1979, has the interchangeable blades on the barrel shrouds . I have a Model 12 as well, both are accurate, some differences in small parts-the side plate screws, e.g. and the Model 12 requires the older "pork chop" shroud, barrels interchange. Both are accurate.
Old November 5, 2017, 05:50 PM   #8
T_PRO_Z

My barrel nut sits on the inside of the barrel shroud. There is a pin in the frame that aligns the barrel shroud.

What do you mean by por
chop lol
Old November 6, 2017, 12:28 AM   #9
warnerwh

The pork chop shroud is a shroud that looks similar to a pork chop. Been a while since I have seen one but it is just a shroud that was on the earlier models. Here is a picture: https://danwessonforum.com/wp-conten...s/barrel_p.jpg
Btw the Dan Wesson forum is where you can get tons of info.
Old November 6, 2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Sevens

I've had two different Dan Wesson .357's, both Monson guns. In my experience, good and bad. First off, you did fine at that price considering you got two barrels... mostly because you got the more elusive 8-inch barrel that sometimes goes for hundreds all by itself at auction.

I'm curious at your report of "both barrels have fixed sights", each barrel should have a front sight that is fixed, but the top strap of the frame likely has an adjustable rear sight?

The good: the Dan Wesson is an extremely strong design and it forged this reputation in the long range metallic silhouette game. It is almost universally agreed upon that in a double-action .357, the Dan Wesson is a ROCK. What I find interesting is that the cylinder itself is smaller and uses dimensions similar to a K-frame rather than a slightly larger, beefier L-frame or N-frame, but still, the reputation for toughness is long-standing.

Also very good: these revolvers are inherently accurate by design, something about the barrel being locked to the frame at both ends lends itself extremely well to accuracy, and both of the ones I had agreed with this.

Not so good-- the double action trigger on the Dan Wesson is genuinely lacking, in my opinion, and I use the S&W as the standard. Both DW's I had were fine guns but my affinity for shooting double action meant that these simply didn't have a home with me.

Furthermore-- the double action on BOTH of mine would actually get worse in each/every shooting session and for absolute CERTAIN, it was not any manner of binding at the forcing cone from a barrel screwed on without enough clearance. I'm completely certain of this. I believe the cylinder would expand slightly with great heat and the rear of it would bind slightly around the ball bearing on the cylinder face.

BEWARE: never ever ever torque that barrel nut on too tightly. You gain nothing whatsoever, it absolutely does not need to be on gorilla tight and it's a nightmare to remove if you do.

In summary, I think they are extremely durable and extremely accurate. If you would do the lion's share of your shooting in single action, this is a fantastic choice and a lot of gun for the money. But if you love to shoot in double action (and especially if you have honed your love for revolvers with S&W K and L-frame .38's and .357's) then the Dan Wesson will never feel up to the task. It didn't for me and I have them years and many hundreds of rounds to do it and neither could.

Final word: I have handled just one example of the new production CZ-made Dan Wesson revolver and I was impressed at the build quality, feel and lock-up. I think these are precision built and simply impressive revolvers. I believe these may be of utmost quality and everything that CZ does just drips of top-notch quality and production. These new revolvers follow the earlier ones in design very, very closely (but I am no expert), they basically seem like the same exact guns, except built NOW and made even better. However... wait for it... the double action feels basically the same to me.

I'd own one of these new CZ-made Dan Wessons, but only if I could find a used one at deep discount. And I have made peace with the older ones... I honestly think they are darn good guns, but the double action makes them "not for me."
Old November 7, 2017, 01:28 AM   #11
DWFan

The M14 has a front sight that is fixed and rear sight that is part of the frame. The M15 has an adjustable rear sight and a front sight that is held in place with a set screw (just above the muzzle nut) and is easily replaced. Dan Wesson was one of the first revolvers to have an easily replaceable front sight. Several different profiles are available from EWK Arms. He also sells a conversion sight to use an M15 shroud on an M14 frame. An M14 8" barrel/shroud set is extremely rare.
I've owned several of these, my current M14 has an EWK 3" EH (extra heavy) shroud and barrel and a factory "combat" grip. As noted, the DA trigger pull isn't the best but the SA pull is superb. Mine is exceptionally accurate with Barnes 140gr VOR-TX ammo and a .004" barrel gap.

Last edited by DWFan; November 7, 2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old November 7, 2017, 03:09 PM   #12
SIGSHR

The Dan Wesson was designed by Karl Lewes who also designed the Colt Mark III and Browning Lever Rifle.
Old November 9, 2017, 08:50 AM   #13
RUT

They sure are pretty! Here's my 715 with 4" barrel. I also have the 6" too.

Old November 10, 2017, 02:29 AM   #14
warnerwh

My favorite gun I have ever had is a 6" Dan Wesson model 15. I only shoot single action and the springs have been replaced as well as removing all creep and it is very accurate. Locks up tight and that's after thousands of rounds. They are very under rated guns if you ask me.
Old November 10, 2017, 03:52 PM   #15
Hal

Quote:
Should I just try and sell it or will it be sturdy enough to provide years of service and fun?
Funny you should ask about the strength & phrase the title to the thread "Dan Wesson .357 magnum ctg".

The .357 Dan Wesson ctg was known as the .360 Dan Wesson.
It split the difference between the .357 magnum and the .357 max.

AFAIK - all Dan Wesson did was increase the length of the chambers slightly so they would accept the longer case.

Here's some interesting info on this fairly unknown offering.
http://www.lasc.us/RangingShotDanWesson360Revolver.htm
Old November 17, 2017, 12:54 AM   #16
DWFan

The .360 Dan Wesson was never offered in the small-frame revolver. It simply won't fit. It was only available in a limited production large frame (same as .44 Magnum) revolver.
The caliber designation on the shroud of the M14 and M15 does indeed say ".357 Magnum CTG." EWK shrouds for the M15-2 also say ".357 Magnum CTG".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 350px-Danwesson357_web.jpg (22.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 350px-P1060906.JPG (33.0 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by DWFan; November 17, 2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old November 17, 2017, 01:37 AM   #17
Radny97

Love Dans.
Learned something new here. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 17, 2017, 10:29 AM   #18
micromontenegro

Love my porkchop