The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 29, 2017, 12:50 PM   #26
fourbore

Quote:
After a recent 'divorce' I've been thinking about simplifying other things in my world; one car, one boat, etc..

I'm clearly not reducing down to one gun, but I'm now thinking all of my ARs should be the same caliber. I have a nice ARP upper in 6.8 that shoots great but I never use it, plink, hunt, because i never want to shoot the ammo.

Are many people still interested in these? maybe in the southern states with hog problems? I'm just curious some opinions from outside my own circle of shootin buddies.

vc
I am reading very careful and it seems the question is not trading for another over 224 caliber but more is it worth trying to sell. Considering internet chit chat plus the 6.8 ammo I see on the LGS walls, Yes, it seems like there is enough following to sell a 6.8. its not hot market for anything AR right now. The 6.8 is not new and improved cartridge dejour. Needing money more than multiple guns that never get shot, you should be ok to let it go. For cheap money, perhaps. Same as any others 6.8,6.5 or 30 all the same money.

My concern would be selling now and then deciding to buy another mid bore AR later. If your experience is anything like my typical, that will cost big time.
Boats and trucks, you are looking at tens of thousands of dollars and major square footage. One AR upper is a few hundred bucks and no space at all.
Old October 30, 2017, 08:14 PM   #27
dean1818

The 6.8 is a great rifle. Drops Texas Piggies in their tracks

At 300 Yards and in, the max distance I hunt at, the 6.8 and 6.5 are almost identical

I am looking at getting an new barrel (20 inch) to stretch the max speed out of the SST as well as a new manufacturer Cavity Back Bullets, whuch has a bullet that opens at slower speed

Fo me I still love my 6.8

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old October 30, 2017, 08:42 PM   #28
globemaster3

For me, the 6.8 filled a need for a deer/hog hunting cartridge with more punch than 5.56/.223 would provide for my kids to shoot. I have a .308 AR, but with the weight, it's not fun to carry. I have bolt guns in .308 and .243, and have hunted them, but last season, for kicks, I took one of the kids' 6.8 ARs hunting and enjoyed the light weight as well as familiar ergonomics to what I've carried on active duty.

With Hornady, Remington, and Federal, amongst others, making ammo for it, I don't see a supply problem. With UAE using it as a service cartridge, there is ball ammo being made by Federal as well.

Don't get me wrong, the Grendel is a fine catridge and has its proponents. .300 Blackout could do the same with a reduced range limit. There are other cartridges that will fill the same niche, some are very reloading centric, but 6.8 does a fine job if kept within its capabilities like any catridge, and those capabilities fit very well within my needs.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old October 30, 2017, 08:50 PM   #29
Deaf Smith

I truly wish the 6.8mm or a 7mm SPC would have been adopted back in Nam instead of a varmint caliber.

Something around .277 to .284, to me, is the right balance.

I pick up 6.8 and .300 Whisper brass all the time at the ranges so I think it will be around for a while.

Oh, but if you want to just use a 5.56 don't fret! Noslier now makes a partition 5.56 slug for deer!

http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullet...let-50ct.htmla

And some use it!

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=339471

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=329141

Deaf
Old October 31, 2017, 01:03 AM   #30
globemaster3

Sorry, posted to wrong thread!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old October 31, 2017, 07:26 AM   #31
fourbore

Interesting about the 224 Nosler 60 grain bullets.

I dont see any reason to say 277 to 284 as the ideal jungle carbine round. The 6.5 should be just as effective. Except of course in the context of a 6.5 vs 6.8 debate. That aside anything midway from 224 to 308 seems like the happy compromise.
Old October 31, 2017, 10:33 AM   #32
bedlamite

Starline brass best sellers list:

1. 9MM Luger Brass
2. 10MM Auto Brass
3. 38 Special Brass
4. 357 Mag Brass
5. 6.8 SPC
6. 45 Auto Brass
7. 38 Super Brass
8. 38 Super Comp Brass
9. 45 Colt Brass
10. 44 Mag Brass
Old October 31, 2017, 04:01 PM   #33
Deaf Smith

Quote:
I dont see any reason to say 277 to 284 as the ideal jungle carbine round. The 6.5 should be just as effective. Except of course in the context of a 6.5 vs 6.8 debate. That aside anything midway from 224 to 308 seems like the happy compromise.
It has to do with being able to stuff enough tracer compound into the back of the bullet.

Deaf
Old November 1, 2017, 07:36 PM   #34
amprecon

Quote:
The 6.8 is one of many cartridges that answer an unasked question. It's like the .276 Pedersen. Tried by the U.S. military but found wanting.
The only "wanting" of the .276 Pedersen was that it was not massively stockpiled in our armories when we realized we may be embroiled in another great war.

7mm projectiles were being discovered to be wildly effective and efficient with reduced recoil and the .276 Pedersen was a step ahead in this category and would have been a great choice considering the era in which it was developed.

It's performance is very close to what the 6.8spc is today. The initial M1 Garands were to be chambered in .267 Pedersen, they were smaller and lighter overall and contained 10-round en-bloc clips. If people think the current rendition of the M1 Garand, .30-cal is awesome, the .276 Pedersen Garand would have been even more awesome.

So the moral of this story is that I selected the 6.8spc in an AR because I cannot own an M1 Garand chambered in .276 Pedersen.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."