The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2015, 08:34 AM   #1
goochster

lyman 600 tumbler

I waiting to receive this item today. I only clean small amounts of brass(50 to 100) 9mm or 243. I read something about wet cleaning but haven't found much info on it? Also someone mentioned steel pins?? Can those be used in the lyman? Any links or info would be appreciated.
Old June 3, 2015, 08:46 AM   #2
madmo44mag

The lyman 600 tumbler is a dry tumbler for dry media.
The wet tumble system is a completely different set up.
Old June 3, 2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Nick_C_S

If one attempts to wet tumble using a dry "vibra-tumble" device, the SS pins will vibrate to the bottom and the brass will displace to the top. i.e., they won't mix and thus, no cleaning will occur.

That alone is a show-stopper. But there are other problematic issues. Such as, putting water in an electrical device that isn't designed for it. And the total load would weigh much more than the motor's design capabilities. There are probably other issues that I hadn't pondered.
Old June 3, 2015, 12:08 PM   #4
goochster

I'm thinking maybe returning the unit unopened and switch to ultrasonic.
Old June 3, 2015, 12:31 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

I have a Lyman 600. Good unit. I also have a Frankford Arsenal SS pin tumbler. I use both.

If you want your brass clean on the outside, with no regard to the primer pockets, the L600 is the brass cleaner for you. What it doesn't do is clean the inside of the case (I don't know why because media gets inside the case '??'), and it won't clean primer pockets. In fact, vibratumbling de-capped brass is a total pain because media gets stuck in the flash holes and will need to be picked out - one at a time - with a dental pick or similar instrument that most don't have.

SS pin tumbling cleans inside n out, and the primer pockets (if decapped, of course). It has lots of advantages. But it also has drawbacks. Getting started is more expensive. And separating the pins from the brass - and just dealing with them in general - is a lot more difficult. A magnet is a good investment here . Then there's also the rinsing and drying of the brass n pins to deal with.

What do I do? Well, both are indispensable tools for my process. I vibratumble the brass from the range first. Once the outside is clean, I decap/resize, and flair. Then I wet tumble w/ the SS pins. Once dried, I have awesome brass - cleaned inside n out - and that makes me feel good.

But my process isn't necessary. If you just want clean brass on the outside to preserve your dies and to look nice, the vibratumble will do it. That leaves the issue of the primer pockets - but that's a whole 'nother post .

Last edited by Nick_C_S; June 3, 2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old June 4, 2015, 08:59 AM   #6
goochster

kept it and ran some brass through it... worked fantastic.. didn't clean the inside of case like out but did somewhat clean it so you at least new it was brass. Left primers in and some had media stuck in primer whole but 99% I could just tap the brass down on a piece of wood and it would dislodge it. I have also a lee decapper and once cleaned I will then decap the brass and that should insure the primer whole is clear.
Old June 5, 2015, 04:11 AM   #7
Tony Z

If you want to help the media you're using (probably corn cob or walnut), get the Dillon polishing products for "charging" the media. a capful or two is all it takes to make brass shine like new.

Tags
lyman 600 , tumbler