The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2013, 05:59 AM   #1
rebs

primed brass ?

I clean my brass, remove the primer and size them, then I put in a new primer and put the primed cases in zip lock bags until I am ready to load them.
How long do you guys store primed brass ?
Old March 19, 2013, 06:30 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I've used some boxed factory primed 45 Colt cases from the 70's with no issues, so if you are keeping them clean & dry, I'd suspect they'd last as long as the primers stored in the primer boxes...
Old March 19, 2013, 08:07 AM   #3
mxsailor803

+1 What Magnum said. Clean and dry, who knows how long they will last.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:08 AM   #4
nglayton

13+ years

I stored 500 9mm primed brass in an open coffee can, sitting on a shelf in the storage shed for over 13 years. No heat either. Worked it all up last month. Took it out to the range for some practice and not a single issue with it. Every single one fired like it was new.

I was worried because I had totally forgotten about it. BTW the powder and all the components were 13+ years old. Works just fine. No worries.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:10 AM   #5
rebs

Thanks, your replies made me feel better about storing primes brass
Old March 20, 2013, 01:41 PM   #6
gundog5

Not sure if this is relevent to your primed cases but felt the need to imput. I recently found a lost 40cal clip that I had placed in a plastic baggie. The bullets and cases were all corroded from the moisture the plastic bags collected. I have primed cases and left them for long periods of time before reloading them but have always kept them in a cardboard box. Not sure how your primers will react to the moisture buildup in plastic bags.
Old March 20, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
rebs

what would be the best way to store primed brass ?
Old March 20, 2013, 02:21 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I think as long as they are stored in a cool, dry, temperature stable place they would be fine... i.e. if the humidity was high, & your hands were sweating, when they got bagged up, you could run into issues... if you wanted to use plastic bags, a pouch of disectant would help... otherwise I put all mine back into boxes... though now I use the plastic ammo boxes...
Old March 20, 2013, 02:39 PM   #9
lamarw

The best seal is to go ahead and load the round. I would have the same concern as others about moisture when storing primed brass in a plastic bag. I leave my primers in the original new box containers until I am ready to fully reload the round.

Do you find any sort of an advantage for pre-priming your brass? Although, I know you can purchase pre-primed brass.

I understand there is a safety reason for having each little primer in its own little separated partition. You do not want to empty them out in bulk in a single container for extended periods such as a can or jar. Others have warned against this practice in prevous Forum postings.

Last edited by lamarw; March 20, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:12 PM   #10
rebs

I already have the cases primed and probably won't have a chance to load and shoot til warmer weather. Right now I have them in ziploc bags, I guess that is a no no ?
Old March 20, 2013, 07:20 PM   #11
lamarw

My mis-communication - When I said load I meant add the powder and the bullet and not load and shoot. Not sure how I messed with your mind on that one. LOL

I have reloads from over thirty years ago, and it is as good as the day I reloaded it.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:36 PM   #12
serf 'rett

I use Ziploc bags, but store the primed brass inside. If the bag is sealed, in theory, there shouldn't be addition moisture entering the bag.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:02 AM   #13
dacaur

I keep my primed 9mm in a big tupperware type container with a desiccant. When I open it to add brass or reload some, I chuck the desiccant in the oven on low to "recharge it", then seal it back in when I'm done...

The problem with ziplocks (or any sealed container) isn't moisture getting added, obviously that doesn't happen, the issue is if you have wide temperature swings, and other conditions are just right, what moisture that's in there can condense into water before being reabsorbed into the air.... When its in its water state, it can tarnish stuff, and, perhaps damage the primer.... But, it the area they are stored is temperature stable, you will be fine.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:06 AM   #14
swcc22

Re: primed brass ?

Vacuum seal
Old March 21, 2013, 04:17 AM   #15
Fire_Moose

Re: primed brass ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
what would be the best way to store primed brass ?
Wooden cigar boxes.

I'm fancy.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:00 AM   #16
oldmanFCSA

ZipLoc and other bags

Some "ZipLoc" style bags are porous and meant to breathe. Be sure to verify before use.

I too use ZipLoc Freezer bags BUT also store inside large ammo cans with a good seal. Controlled temperature and humidity are the biggest factors for long term storage.

I have stored 25-06 match ammo this way since loading date of 12November1980 and it still shoots just fine, better than my old eyes.

Old March 21, 2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Daggitt

Plastic ammo boxes are really handy. I put mine in these and store in cool and dry basement. No problems. I like some cleaned and primed brass so I can load a few up without case prep and priming. I don't preprime hundreds of them at a time. Maybe 50 or 100.