The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2016, 09:20 AM   #51
Boogershooter

For those of you familiar with hunting dogs I will add a bit of extra info. I've been on coon hunts and seen these dogs win high level competitions but that is a rarity. All the kemmer curs I've hunted with and know their owners, do not bark on a track. They will bark once or twice before they lock down on a tree. So if you take them in the woods at night they will tree a coon but they may be a mile away before they do.

For hog dogs they really are fun to see but my experience so far is that they often don't bark til they actually see or hear the hog. They work great in a mixed pack because your other dogs will bark while trailing a hog but when you hear the cur open up you know for sure they are on him. If it's the only kemmer cur in the pack and has been hunting with the pack for several years they sometimes will bark more but not always.

Robert Kemmer special bred mountain curs for the traits he wanted and that was for squirrel dogs. They truely shine at this. It's common for 8 week old pups to tree squirrels all by its self if you imprint them on squirrel scent from the day they are born. Put squirrel scent in their kennel. Put a squirrel tail under their feed bowl. Show them a live squirrel in a cage as soon as they are old enuf to start crawling around and using their noses. All they know is squirrel scent is good. They smell it when they eat and sleep. So when they hit the woods for the first time they will automatically be looking for squirrels.
Old October 24, 2016, 01:16 AM   #52
Zorro

Squirrel is a lean and dry meat.

MUST add some fatty sausage in there for the gumbo.
Old October 24, 2016, 10:08 AM   #53
buck460XVR

While at the grocery store the other day, I came across this on sale and it reminded me of this thread. Thought I'd give it a try using some home ground sausage....about three pounds worth. Also added about a cup of corn and a cup of peas. Turned out great.....