The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 26, 2012, 09:17 PM   #76
budd

My Knife

For the last 10 years I have used the COLD STEEL model SRK. A great knife for all kinds of uses and many ocasions. It is a great general purpose knife and a great sheath knife.

V/R
J. Budd
Old March 27, 2012, 12:47 AM   #77
GM2

Buck 110 Folding Hunter have 3 of Them. One I bought years ago and two were gifts.
Old March 31, 2012, 04:43 AM   #78
David_S

Wyosmith wrote
Quote:
I use a large size Swiss Army Knife with a saw and a locking main blade, and I carry a diamond sharpening steel.
x2
Old March 31, 2012, 03:59 PM   #79
roadrunnr72

I used to use a gut hook knife, until I found the "Outdoor edge fip n' blaze". I got to use it this past season, and love it. Got it on sale at Bass Pro. The site pic looks a little weird because both blades are open.
Old March 31, 2012, 05:14 PM   #80
TheBear

I use a Fällkniven F1, great knive, i highly recommend it.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:41 AM   #81
Jack O'Conner

I've owned this Schrade LB7 for a long time. Steel is good but not exceptional. It has just enough nickel alloy for corrosion rersistance but not too hard to make for difficult sharpening. I highly recommend Schrade knives.

New Schrade knives are imports but quality is still right. I bought my nephew a new LB7 last year and it's same as my USA built knife.

Wanting D2 or 440A steel? Look elsewhere than Schrade. But if looking for quality that's affordable in a sturdy kinfe, Schrade deserves a close look.

Jack

Old April 1, 2012, 12:42 PM   #82
tahoe2

hunting knives

hunting knives 003.jpg

hunting knives 002.jpg

All but one of mine have blood on them. When I was doing my Pronghorns, the blade was too long up inside by the neck area, so I bought the short gut hook.
Haven't had a chance to use it yet, maybe next season.
I put cabinet bumpers on the folders so I can open them one handed, they even work when bloody.

Sharade "Field & Stream" gut hook
Gerber "Gator Gut Hook"
Smith & Wesson "Gut Hook" shorty

Gerber "Gator folder"
Gerber "Drop Point folder" camo

Last edited by tahoe2; April 1, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old April 1, 2012, 02:34 PM   #83
Pahoo

Do you ever clean them ??

Quote:
All but one of mine have blood on them.
I sharpen hunting and fishing knives for a few folks around town and one group who is heavy, into trapping, never cleans them. Thinking that what is left on the blades is likely to infect you, if you should happen to cut yourself. I refuse to sharpen them any more, until they are cleaned by them. Knives as well as guns, need routine maintenance as well as observing some safety guidelines. ...

Have any of you ever gotten an infection, off a dirty knife?? ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 2, 2012, 02:18 AM   #84
stevelyn

I finally got fed up with buying knives that later turned out to be junk and not perform as advertised. I educated myself on knife steels and their heat treat and last year ended up buying a Bone Collector trademarked Benchmade skinner.

It's a 4" skinner made from D2 tool steel, heat treated to 61-62 RwC with just the right amount of belly near the end of the blade. It was a bitch to sharpen as I reshaped the edge on my Spyderco Sharpmaker, but the diamond sticks made things go a little easier with shaping and I can now shave with that mirror polished, scary-sharp edge.

I've since peeled out two AKPEN brown bears with it and only had to touch up the blade on the ceramic sticks inspite of the carcass getting a little sandy from being rolled over during skinning. Too bad they don't offer a similar drop-point hunter and a caper made to the same specs. I think they would sell like crazy if they did. I would buy a complete set if one were offered.

I plan on getting another to match it this year. From now on when I buy a knife it's either going to be a high-end production knife like the Benchmade or I'm going the custom route as I've found some knife makers on another forum that turn out really great work at reasonable prices and they tell you what steel they use and what they are heat-treated to. Never again will I purchase a fixed-blade less than 60RwC. It's not worth the aggravation.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old April 2, 2012, 02:54 PM   #85
TX Hunter

Hawg Hagen,

I have one of those Schrade Gut Hook Skinners, Ive used it and it works great, Mine is like yours one of the old American Made ones, Ive had mine for about 20 years. I dont use it much anymore, I usually just use my Case Trapper, but that one comes out from time to time when my Son and I are both shinning a Deer or Hog in the yard.
The New Schrade Knives like that are made in China. Bummer.
Old April 2, 2012, 04:42 PM   #86
Buzzcook

Quote:
Knives as well as guns, need routine maintenance as well as observing some safety guidelines.
+1 Clean that sucker off. Heck many of the modern knives are dish washer safe. Lots of nasty micro bugs stick to your knife along with the blood.
Old April 3, 2012, 07:27 AM   #87
tahoe2

pahoo

that was just an expression, as in they have been used. my wife work's in a kitchen, and makes sure that every utensil is cleaned and disinfected after use.
not cleaning them is just gross!
Old April 3, 2012, 10:55 AM   #88
Pahoo

Christened in blood !!!

Quote:
that was just an expression, as in they have been used.
Missed that and I use to be a Buckskinner.
I now recognize the term and we use to have a small ritual about the mark of the blood or initiation. We used that term on our tomahawks. We also use to make the forehead of the hunter, on his first M/L deer kill. ....

Did not mean to imply that you keep your knives dirty but know that others do. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 5, 2012, 04:01 PM   #89
Daryl

Have used all of mine for the purpose at one time or another. Even dressed an antelope once with a leatherman wave. Favorites include a Scott custom and Marbles fieldcraft,but often enough I just use an old timer pocket knife.
Old April 6, 2012, 08:59 AM   #90
SurplusShooter

My hunting knife of choice is the Gerber Freemen Guide fixed blade and I always have my Swiss army knife out of habit as it's in my pocket just about every day.
Old April 6, 2012, 11:10 AM   #91
briandg

The two sharpest, finest blades I own. A 4" fixed drop point with a blade over an inch from spine to edg, narrow, fine wedge cut steel, it is honestly razor sharp every time it comes off of the strop. The other is an old timer, again plain carbon steel and wedge cut, drop point, folder.

I suspect that most people who buy pocket knives would be absolutely amazed to feel a truly sharp blade.
Old April 7, 2012, 04:12 PM   #92
Jack O'Conner

This is my Schrade USA Golden Spike. Blade design and overall shape are very good for the outdoorsman. Schrade now imports this knife but quality is same as the older USA built ones.

Jack

Old April 10, 2012, 02:59 PM   #93
Daryl

Briandg,

I never strop my blades. A slightly coarser edge works hetter for slicing, and stays sharp longer.

Even so, my hunting blades will shave hair off my arm, but would be hard on a face. Definitely sharp enough for their purpose,
Old April 11, 2012, 12:58 AM   #94
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Daryl, a rougher edge is better than a dull edge for slicing... But once the burring is rolled over, it is a dull knife...

The angle of your edge is what makes a more or less durable edge for a given metal...

A scalpel of fine grade is NO BURR. Unless you misuse it, it will last thru any surgical procedure... If you do dull it, it is easily resharpened...

I run my edge angles like a scalpel I sharpen to a fine smooth edge just under strop polished...

Like I have previously said, these cut fast and deep and you will not feel a burn unless your skin or my blade is dirty!

I have shaved my face with mine and that was done using just Ivory bar soap applied with an antique shaving brush... Not like a quad blade razor but I suffered no rash or irritated skin even...

Brent
Old April 12, 2012, 11:04 AM   #95
Pahoo

Y'all know what works best for you !!

Quote:
I never strop my blades. A slightly coarser edge works hetter for slicing, and stays sharp longer.
I do strop most of my blades but hone very few, mostly some pocket-knives. Through the years, we have all developed our own techniques on knive and guns. I stopped shaving my arms and legs, many years ago and have safer methods of testing sharpness, mostly using a rubber band. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 12, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old April 12, 2012, 06:25 PM   #96
WV_gunner

I just have a cheap fixed Winchester hunting knife for deer. I do have a Case with, if I remember right, a 10 inch blade or so. Now if I only had a reasonable reason to use.
Old April 14, 2012, 05:55 PM   #97
ltc444

i carried an LB7 for years. The lock broke on it and now I carry a custom knife made by Virgil Coresiti. It is extremely light but durable works well for field dressing. For skinning I use an old Hickory skinning knife That has been in my family for 90 years.
Old April 14, 2012, 11:15 PM   #98
aaalaska

What I carry depends on what I'm hunting and how I'm going to get there,If I can drive my truck ,4 wheeler, snowmachine or boat, right into the hunting area then the gear can be a lot heavier .If I'm getting on a bush plane ,or it's all going on my back, then the buck pac lite skinner & caper, and the buck sharpener that is about the size of a credit card, along with a plastic handled utility knife ,the type that you break a section off when it gets dull, that goes everywhere with me, to open the hide up. For fishing my gerber tool and a 6" fillet knife. For small game my gerber tool and a set of game shears.
Old April 16, 2012, 06:30 PM   #99
Deja vu

I use an old buck knife my father gave me. I have no idea what it is other than a buck. It does not fold and has about a 4 inch blade. It has a stag grip and a slightly curved blade.

I looked it up this looks a lot like it. May be it is not as old as I thought it was.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old May 1, 2012, 01:39 AM   #100
Ambishot

I carry a buck zipper (half serrated blade) for the field dressing/butchering portion of the hunt. For snags and misc. items that need cutting, I have a spyderco 3'' folder in my pocket.