The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 24, 2008, 09:15 AM   #26
Jack O'Conner

At one time, the 35 Remington was the most powerful semi-auto hunting rifle available in North America. It was named model 8. Remington poster ads of the time often showed hunters reaching for their model 8 while a grizzley or bull moose was bearing down on them. Exciting posters that can be viewed at the Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyoming.

In 2008, specialty ammo from a number of makers offer 225 grain heavy jacketed bullets for 35 Remington. Same makers offer flat nosed 180 grain bullet by Hornady which was designed for .356 Winchester. Hornady offers their widely acclaimed leverevolution ammo in 35 as well. In summary, many choices for the 35 Remington hunter.

These cow elk are tough but not armor-plated. Weight is estimated at 520 lbs. but they can't stand up to a well placed big game bullet!

Good hunting to you.
Jack
Old May 2, 2016, 09:42 AM   #27
noname2031

.35 Remington

Well, I would'nt purposely take mine on a grizzly hunt( only because I have bigger guns), but I'd dang sure shoot one with it if I needed too! Mine has never had any problem with deer and hogs, and I did put down a 1400 lb beefalow for a friend ( thing went nuts, tore up the cattle trailer and half of his barn) that he was trying to load to take to slaughter. Not sure that would count the same way as a grizzly intent on having you for dinner though. But I'm pretty sure with the right ammo/bullet combo and good shot placement, that it would do the job!
Old May 2, 2016, 11:49 AM   #28
hoghunting

While I've seen some old threads brought back to life, this 8 year old thread is probably one of the oldest.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:55 PM   #29
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Bloviating expressed by those owners of the 35 Rem promoting the 35s big game killing efficiency exceeding that of the venerable 30-30. Really?

Federal's ballistic table is typical of today's market place available ammo and its ballistic stats:
Fact: the 30-30 170 gr. betters the Energy stats of a 35 rem 200 gr. from muzzle to 500 yards.
The 30-30 also betters the 35 Rem in Velocity from muzzle to 500 yards.

No bloviating here >those (above) are the facts.
Old May 3, 2016, 08:47 AM   #30
603Country

Many years ago, Dad bought Marlin 336's for himself, my brother, and for me. They chose 30/30 as their caliber and I chose 35 Remington. We each killed a truckload of deer over the years, and we argued long and hard over which caliber was best. There really isn't winner to the argument. I'd still choose the 35.

I eventually moved to the 270 for better accuracy at distances past 200 yards. The 35 and 30/30 are good to 150 yards or a bit more, due to the rainbow bullet trajectory. My longest kill shot was 260 yards. My most effective shooting was 3 deer in about 10 seconds, and 2 of them were running. I could work that lever. Wish I still had that rifle.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:46 AM   #31
jmr40

All modern cartridges from 243 and up will take any game in North America including 30-30 and 35. Some might be on the small side for brown bear including 30-30 and 35, but will take them. The difference is how close are you willing to get. Despite claims by many the 35 has never offered any advantage over 30-30. The 30-30 was introduced in 1895, the 35 Rem in 1906. Both were obsolete in 1893, before they were even introduced and both were a step backwards in firearms development.

Sure you can kill stuff with either. Doesn't make either a good choice. You can kill stuff with a flintlock or spear too. Hunt with what you like, just don't try to convince anyone that there is anything special about them.
Old May 3, 2016, 01:52 PM   #32
alex0535

Zombie thread, oh well I like the 35 rem. Have one that's been putting deer on the ground since the 50's. I don't often feel comfortable with brush shots, but if I did the 200 grain 35 is pretty good for that. I've never lost a deer with it. I find the recoil very manageable. They never run far. Doesn't leave a huge bloodshot exit wound. Outdated or not the deer or hog doesn't know what year it is.

Inside 100 yards, I feel like could hunt any medium to large animal in this state like deer, black bear, feral hog. I'd feel like I had plenty of gun to bring back meat.

All this being said, in the other direction to a much more modern caliber I really would like the 6.5x47 lapua. Similar performance, but much better accuracy out to 1000 yards. The most accurate mild recoiling caliber lapua could design for 300-1000 meter competition. Think it would make a great light deer rifle.
Old May 3, 2016, 03:18 PM   #33
stagpanther

I almost bought one a year ago--but instead built an AR in 358 win. Gamekings work great out of it--but I guess that's not an option for you having a tubular magazine--but I just bought some .358 200 gr ftx's and that might be a good option for you.
Old May 3, 2016, 04:31 PM   #34
eastbank

if you reload, start to pick up cases. when you get to 200-250 you will be set for life. plenty of good .35 bullets available,but cases seem to be getting scarce. eastbank.
Old May 3, 2016, 04:57 PM   #35
979Texas

With proper bullet construction and weight you can take anything in North America with a .35. Its not the best choice for everything but it certainly is capable.

I am rather fond of this cartridge as I inherited a 1925 model Remington Gamemaster pump .35 that had been in the family two generations prior to me. The gun no longer cycles and I dont have the spare money to take it to the smithy, but that is a goal of mine. But for years the gun worked fine in my possession and I had some very enjoyable hunts with it.

I just ran open sights on it and used only Hornady 200 grain leverevolution ammo. I only hunted hogs with it and it would tear them up. It put huge holes in every hog I shot with it and most of them anchored immediately, but for the ones that didnt they never made it far and they were very east to track. Because beside the considerable blood trail alone there were pieces of bone, tissue, muscle, and organs along the blood trail. That .35 BY FAR made for the easiest blood tracking on hogs than any other gun I have wounded a pig with. All other calibers its rare that I will ever get a blood trail, like I havent had a blood trail on a wounded pig in about 4 years. But I never wound many. And with that ol .35 I was pretty much guaranteed a blood if not a blood and chunks of body trail on pigs which are notorious for not leaving any blood trails. Anyone with hog hunting experience knows that.

But it was just a very fun gun to carry and hunt with. I also LITERALLY blew a few nutrias in half with it at very close range
Old May 3, 2016, 05:54 PM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
With proper bullet construction and weight you can take anything in North America with a .35. Its not the best choice for everything but it certainly is capable.

I am rather fond of this cartridge as I inherited a 1925 model Remington Gamemaster pump .35 that had been in the family two generations prior to me. The gun no longer cycles and I dont have the spare money to take it to the smithy, but that is a goal of mine. But for years the gun worked fine in my possession and I had some very enjoyable hunts with it.

I just ran open sights on it and used only Hornady 200 grain leverevolution ammo. I only hunted hogs with it and it would tear them up. It put huge holes in every hog I shot with it and most of them anchored immediately, but for the ones that didnt they never made it far and they were very east to track. Because beside the considerable blood trail alone there were pieces of bone, tissue, muscle, and organs along the blood trail. That .35 BY FAR made for the easiest blood tracking on hogs than any other gun I have wounded a pig with. All other calibers its rare that I will ever get a blood trail, like I havent had a blood trail on a wounded pig in about 4 years. But I never wound many. And with that ol .35 I was pretty much guaranteed a blood if not a blood and chunks of body trail on pigs which are notorious for not leaving any blood trails. Anyone with hog hunting experience knows that.

But it was just a very fun gun to carry and hunt with. I also LITERALLY blew a few nutrias in half with it at very close range
And the moral of that story is--all other things being equal--bigger holes are better! : )
Old May 3, 2016, 09:31 PM   #37
pappa

Most pleasant, totally effective, cartridge to shoot that I have. Second to it is my 7x57. Third surprisingly is my 7 Rem mag (26" barrel). 200 yds or under, .35 Rem drops deer and hog just as quick, just as dead. Love my 06 also, but it in most cases is overkill. If I lived in the great open spaces of the west I'd use the 7 Rem, 30-06, and might buy a round loaded these days getting closer in flat shooting to the 7 mag -- the .270 Winchester. Which one have I shot (almost all one shot neck shots, or just behind the ear on hogs) the most with; my Marlin 336 35Rem. Might just choose to be buried with it. You got yourself one fine rifle.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:32 PM   #38
Wyosmith

I had one 30 years ago and I regret selling it. A marlin 336 rifle with a 1/2 mag and a pistol grip stock. I put a receiver sight on it and it shot very well.
I killed some big western Mule Deer with it. I used 220 grain Speer bullets and some old Remington bullets (200 grain I think)

I also hunting elk with it a few times but never got to shoot an elk when I had it with me, so I have no report to pass on, but I am sure it would have been fine.

I was hunting them in those days in the Selway of Idaho, and shots were always under 50 yards in that thick timber.
My friend Greg also borrowed it one time to kill a bear. One shot and we had a dead bear about 225 pounds.

I can't say I ever had anything bad to say about the rifle or the cartridge.
Old August 10, 2016, 09:23 AM   #39
GarandTd

As long as 35 is Alive and well, there is no need for the thread to die. Every old thread revived is one less useless new one cluttering up the works.

I have a 1946 Remington Gamemaster 141 that dropped my 1st PA whitetail buck, several Montana mule deer for my dad, and who knows what for his father who bought the rifle new. It's a good brush gun and more than adequate for most American large game. I would say it's biggest shortcoming would be range.
Old August 10, 2016, 10:20 AM   #40
shootbrownelk

Think of the .35 Remington as a "Short" .35 Whelen. It'll do anything you want within reason. It's an under 150 yd. proposition, IMO anyway.
Old August 10, 2016, 12:37 PM   #41
mete

While the 35s all work well ,35Rem, 358Win, 35Whelen, They never have been as popular as things like the 30-30 .But bigger holes are better and the 35s just do the job ,not caring about the hype of others.
Old August 11, 2016, 06:50 AM   #42
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
What can I hunt w/ 35 rem?
Anything considered Big Game at close range in the Lower 48.
Old August 11, 2016, 07:29 AM   #43
mavracer

Apparently you can't kill an 8 year old zombie thread with one lol.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 12, 2016, 08:37 PM   #44
Backroad

I've hunted with my Marlin for years and find it safe to say that the .35 Rem will anchor any animal on the north American continent.

al
Old August 17, 2016, 07:43 PM   #45
WVMountaineer

With the Hot Core Speer 220 grain bullets, some AA2520, you can push them in the 2300 fps range according to men on another forum. These were chrono'ed results. Some were going even higher. Folks, that is a freight train. It was rivaling magnum cartridges that are surrounded by lore, with the energy it safely produces with these loads.

As a factory round or, as a loaded plain Jane bullet, you are going to look long and hard to find a harder hitting caliber for big game. In it's effective range, that bullet surface is so big and, the weight of them, equals hammertime. I've killed a lot of deer with them. FLAT. When you start pushing them, they become even more incredible on those through the body shots. It really thumps them.

I love the round. I hand load for it mostly but, still do shoot factory rounds out of one of the two I own. Both do great. Don;t let ballistic tales fool you. A bullet that big, weighing that much, delivers all of it's energy and, has lots more knock down power than those tables can take into account. Use them You'll love 'em. God Bless
Old August 18, 2016, 01:44 AM   #46
stagpanther

Quote:
I love the round. I hand load for it mostly but, still do shoot factory rounds out of one of the two I own. Both do great. Don;t let ballistic tales fool you. A bullet that big, weighing that much, delivers all of it's energy and, has lots more knock down power than those tables can take into account. Use them You'll love 'em. God Bless
Exactly the way I feel about the 358 win--which pushes the 35 even faster.
Old August 18, 2016, 07:49 AM   #47
reynolds357

Even though this is an old thread: I believe the .35 Remington is about the ideal heavy woods deer hunting cartridge.
Old August 20, 2016, 08:15 PM   #48
Mobuck

Something that's not too hard to kill and dumb enough to let you get fairly close.
Old August 20, 2016, 08:45 PM   #49
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
At one time, the 35 Remington was the most powerful semi-auto hunting rifle available in North America.
That must have been a very short reign as the .30-06 came out in the same year.
Old August 21, 2016, 09:40 AM   #50
mavracer

Quote:
That must have been a very short reign as the .30-06 came out in the same year.
The Remington Model 8 came out in 08 the 30/06 wasn't available in a commercial semi auto till after WW2
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."