The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 1, 1999, 05:02 PM   #26
MAD DOG

I have been commissioned by TFL to fabricate 20 "Lucibella got stuck here" signs.
We have already used ten percent of them...
I have a feeling that they will get used up pretty quick.

Rich has one of those Mercedes SUV thingys.
I call it the "Buchenwald Buggy".
In this case, I think that "SUV" stands for "Stupid Underpowered Vasteofmoney".
Power everything, miniscule motor, and enough ground clearance for even the most agressive shopping mall parking lots. Impressive.
Less than a month in Arizona, and it is already falling apart. The rear left quarterpanel is coming unstuck, and the car actually has dirt on it.
The fog lights have disappeared. Scraped off going through a Taco Bell drive through, no doubt.
And yet:
He has a near religious belief in it's mystic ability to remain unstuck.
He is on the road now, and I made it clear to him that once he was more than 100 miles from me, he was entirely on his own, getting unstuck wise.
Godspeed, Rich.
Old August 3, 1999, 01:32 AM   #27
Long Path

Ah, the new M-Class. Unibody. Built in... Georgia? Arkansas? One of the two...

Reputed to be held to tolerances far in excess of an XT Gremlin or of a Ford Pinto.

But so cute!
Old August 3, 1999, 09:07 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, some folks just haven't fingered out that Mercedes and Poochies are Germany's revenge for WW II...

Mercedes and Cocaine: God's way of telling you that you have too much money!
Old August 5, 1999, 11:09 PM   #29
Rich Lucibella
Staff

In the interests of truth in product reviews:
- I'm not a fan of the ML430.
- It's butt ugly.
- It has few power options
- It was designed to compete with the Explorer, Pathfinder, Land Cruiser etc....not the Suburban Class vehicle.
- It's too low to the ground.
- The 4.3 Liter, Eight provides this vehicle with better torque and HP/Weight of any vehicle in it's class. Plenty of power. Great mid range and high end torque. 5,000 lb towing package....unusual for a normal sized SUV.
- I have yet to get stuck in it, but did pull a Bronco out that was following me.
- The other makers (including Navigator) each rushed to produce more powerful engines as a result of the 430.

Now I do understand Kevin's idea of luxury transport. In fact, I've commisioned him to purchase a 12 year old, beat up, 3/4 ton Chevy Pickup just like his for my own use. I'm looking forward to driving it in the AZ outback. As for taking it 2400 miles from FL to AZ? I'd rather go Greyhound.
Rich

Old August 6, 1999, 08:00 PM   #30
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, Lil Toy has 238,000 miles on it now; it's gettin' broke in pretty good. I don't care much how far into the back country some critter will get you; it's the gettin' back that counts. Ain't had to walk or holler, "Help!"...

Hey, get whatever truck-critter you want. I'll convoy along, and bring my help-them-folks chains along...

Art
Old August 9, 1999, 09:58 PM   #31
Long Path

Art: Likewise for my F-250 diesel with 231,000 miles; she's just beginning to get broken in. What it lacks in traction (2WD), it makes up for in torque. I just leave the towstrap on the rear bumper all the time, now. Every so often the come-along comes out of the toolbox...