The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 3, 2019, 04:14 AM   #1
NHSHOOTER

Game Cameras

Looking for some ideas on a decent, not too expensive, easy to operate game camera..
Old January 3, 2019, 05:27 AM   #2
std7mag

Moultrie, Wild Game are the ones i use the most.
Just be aware, i haven't had any issues with bear, but the 2 legged criters will mess with, even take them.
I did have an elk lick one for quite some time...
Anyways, i'd recommend bolting/screwing to a tree, with one of those steel covers on them.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 3, 2019, 07:11 AM   #3
Old Stony

I normally use the Wild Game cameras. I catch them on sale and buy 5 or 6 of them at a time. If you watch, you can generally find them for around 59.95 or in that vicinity when the sales hit. I stock up now and then as they don't last all that long generally. I just hook then to a tree and let the weather do what it will with them.....and they don't necessarily handle the rain and stuff very well.

All said, I do have a few that have made it for 3 or so years before giving up. Don't expect any help from the mfg. if you have any defective ones necessarily. Since I stock up on them, they can lay around here for some time before used and the mfg. dates them from the time they are made as far as warranties.
Old January 3, 2019, 08:25 AM   #4
Mobuck

"I normally use the Wild Game cameras"

They're not the fastest trigger speed nor the best quality pics but they hold up pretty well and don't seem to scare the critters. Mine have taken pics of nothing but buck nose in the dark as the deer nuzzled the lens.
I'd rather have 6 cheap cams checking 1/2 dozen spots than 1-2 high $$ cams watching nothing.
Old January 3, 2019, 10:28 AM   #5
ocharry

i use the bushnell trophy cams,,,little more expensive,,,100-125 dollars

i have 4 of them,,,,got them on ebay for less than that

they all have been soaking for 4 years,,,out year round,,,collected thousands of pics,,,i change batteries in the fall,,once a year,,,,and i collect pictures 3 times a year,,,every 4 months i make the rounds to check on them and change cards,,,,,not unusual to have couple thousand pics on 1 cam

they take great pics,,,,

i think they are the best bang for the buck

my .02

ocharry
Old January 3, 2019, 10:50 AM   #6
AmmunitionDepot

For cheaper trail cams i've had good luck with Cuddeback and Covert brand.
Old January 3, 2019, 01:29 PM   #7
Blindstitch

Walmart sells some cheap Tasco 6mp cameras for $25. I bought a few of them and they paid for themselves quickly. I have a moultrie camera and it was just short of garbage. I think it was an A5 or something sounding like that.
Old January 3, 2019, 02:52 PM   #8
NHSHOOTER

I just bought a Wildgame Innovations Blade X7 for 25 bucks on ebay, let the trials begin!!! Thanks for the feedback..
Old January 3, 2019, 08:01 PM   #9
BIGR

Moultrie cameras have done real well for me.
Old January 3, 2019, 09:27 PM   #10
wild willy

I have Bushnell,Browning,MOULTRIE AND WILD GAME INNOVATION cameras the only brand I will never buy again is WGI. I had a WGI In a spot didn’t seem like it was getting many pictures put another camera covering same area with WGI got ten times the pictures on the other camera good game pictures not leaves blowing the Wild Game wasn’t getting pictures it should have.If you don’t put two cameras covering the same area you never got know if your camera any good or not