The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2020, 06:35 PM   #1
TXAZ

10 Gauge, does anyone still make them?

Does anyone still make (or use) 10 gauge shotguns?
Old September 16, 2020, 07:02 PM   #2
FITASC

I believe the advent of the 12 gauge with 3.5" chambers led to its demise as well as the outlawing of lead
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 16, 2020, 08:12 PM   #3
ocharry

I have one....i love the thing....bought it for turkey years ago...when I got the gun I also got several boxes of copper plated federal shells...got several boxes....2-4-6....4 buck....never had a turkey or anything else walk away from it...it is a killing machine at 60 yards+....killed a coyote one time with no. 2 at 80 yrds...it knocked him down and he never got up....my buddy looked at me and said if I wouldn't have seen it I wouldn't believe it

My boy has one of the shoulder breaker 3 1/2 guns....I wouldn't trade him....I like the 10 much better...and I think it hits harder

My .02

Ocharry
Old September 16, 2020, 09:42 PM   #4
Virginian

Browning still lists the BPS. I had about 7 or 8 rifferent 10 gauges and the BPS was the lightest. I had 3 and none ever missed a beat. With steel we were shooting LESS weight of shot and the gn makers thought we needed 3 more pounds of gun to do it with. My last one a machinist friend and I figured out how to get about 2 pounds off of it. For big birds and/or big shot, nothing beats a 10 gauge.

I do not trust Remington's dating service accuracy. If they were Match.com, you could end up with Nancy Pelosi.
Old September 17, 2020, 05:36 PM   #5
44caliberkid

The Ten had a brief resurgence in the late 80's - 90's, as turkey hunting boomed. H&R, Marlin and Mossberg all had big single shots with 30"+ barrels. Some had a pump and even some semiautos. Great for geese too. Cowboy shooting keeps some antique guns shooting. I have a 1882 Remington SxS 10 gauge. I load black powder shells for it.
Old September 17, 2020, 07:12 PM   #6
stephen426

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=2190673

I just happened to see this on Sportsman's Guide. I was thinking that I never saw any 10 GA ammo, but it wasn't really looking for it anyway. My shoulder hurts enough with 12 GA slugs.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM   #7
bamaranger

occasionally

I have, in the course of nearly 50 yrs of gobbler hunting, crossed paths with 3 other hunters carrying 10 gauges in the woods. In two of those instances, it was the same guy, though a couple of years apart, and on two entirely separate WMA's, a hundred miles or so apart (gobbler hunters get around). That fella's 10ga was an H&R, with a short factory say 24-26" barrel and very stout. The gun was actually quite heavy, more so than my short barreled 12ga Rem 870. He claimed it killed gobblers with authority.

The other 10 ga belonged to my pal Sammy, and was a customized Browning BPS. The barrel had been shortened to 24", and a tight turkey tube swaged/pressed permanently flush with the muzzle. All the metal work had been done with some type of custom high tech drab coating, and the stock had been epoxy painted with a dull color as well. It shot 2-1/4 oz of #4 lead into patterns to point of aim with a bead sight, that were astounding, and Sammy (more honest than Lincoln) claimed it killed gobblers cleanly to 60 yds plus. We named it the turkey bazooka, and I wanted it if he ever thought to sell it.

To keep my post short, I will tell the story of that shotgun later.