The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 12, 2020, 12:19 AM   #1
Shadow9mm

Passing on some ammo stockpiling wisdom

So this ammo shortage seems to be a common topic here and in general. Ammo shortages seem to be common and always seems to go in cycles of feast or famine. I learned to shoot when I was 15 and my friend gave me 2 very important rules for ammunition that I wanted to pass on.

Rule 1. Set aside money every payday like it is a bill so you will always have money to buy ammo when you can get it.

Rule 2. Buy an extra box. Buy 1 box to shoot and 1 box to save. When there is a shortage you will have ammo to shoot.

My Rule 2 modification. This is for if you are a new shooter, getting a new caliber or just don't have much on hand. Buy 3 boxes, shoot 1, save the other until you get to a point where you could maintain your normal shooting schedule for about 6 months without buying any ammo at all.

I fully admit I have not followed these rules as well as I should have. With that said I am in a lot better place than I would have been otherwise. These 2 rules have really helped me over the years and I hope they can help some of you too.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; July 12, 2020 at 12:41 AM.
Old July 12, 2020, 03:13 AM   #2
burrhead

When you say box you do mean case don't you?

I have never been really affected by ammo shortages and I shoot 7 to 10K rounds a year. The vast majority are my hand loads but I don't, for instance, load 9mm so I get S&G to send me a couple of cases every once in a while when the price is low.

The bottom line for this problem is roll your own and buy components in bulk. Don't buy powder by the pound but by the jug. Primers in multiples of 10k, etc. And stock up during the good times not the bad. It will be a few years before I start to worry about an "ammo shortage".

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old July 12, 2020, 12:55 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrhead View Post
When you say box you do mean case don't you?

I have never been really affected by ammo shortages and I shoot 7 to 10K rounds a year. The vast majority are my hand loads but I don't, for instance, load 9mm so I get S&G to send me a couple of cases every once in a while when the price is low.

The bottom line for this problem is roll your own and buy components in bulk. Don't buy powder by the pound but by the jug. Primers in multiples of 10k, etc. And stock up during the good times not the bad. It will be a few years before I start to worry about an "ammo shortage".
The rule scales. If you are planning to shoot a case, buy 2 cases, shoot one store the other. If you plan to shoot 2-50rnd boxes buy 4, to to shoot 2 to save. It just depends on how much you normally shoot.

For reloading is an entirely different animal because you generally buying supplies in bulk. I look at it from 2 aspect. How many do I load, and how many can I load. When I load I follow the rule. load double what I plan to shoot, shoot half save half. This way when there is a shortage on supplies I can shoot what I have saved until I can buy components again. I try to keep enough components on hand to load 1000rnds which it just under a 1yr supply for me. I can supplement that with my handloads I have set back when things are scarce for a bit.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; July 12, 2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old July 12, 2020, 01:03 PM   #4
RETG

Whenever I have wanted to purchase ammo in any amount, I just went to the store or ordered via the internet. No rules, just fact.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old July 12, 2020, 01:55 PM   #5
rickyrick

I didn’t know there was an ammunition shortage this time.
I had bought ammunition every payday for several years. Haven’t bought any in probably 18-24 months.
Old July 12, 2020, 11:42 PM   #6
scoobysnacker

Here's an additional tip, to go with the OP.

Have a "reasonable" price set in your mind, for each caliber you want. Do as the OP stated, stock up extra in normal times.

And when things start to seem stressed, find whatever you can at the "reasonable price", and get as much as you can afford/find.

For example, I have a good stash of 9mm. I always thought 20 cents a rd ($200 a case) was reasonable, and happily bought what I wanted when it was lower.
When things started getting squirrelly, first with covid, I stopped cherry-picking "my brands" and "bestest price", and started grabbing a case whenever I could find something at/under $200. Steel... I tend to avoid it, but picked up a case of Tula for $160 shipped. Aluminum, same thing, but when I found a case of Federal Aluminum for $197 shipped, I grabbed it too. Picked up 2 cases of Herters 9mm, both under $200.
I still have a pending order from Fenix for a case of range loads for $190... they sent an email awhile back saying they were backlogged, offered to cancel if I wanted. I said no, send it when you can. I have enough already to shoot, but I absolutely won't bet on prices being lower later, so when it comes, it's going into the stash.

At this point, there's not anything left that I can see; but I added 4k (plus another 1k) at "my reasonable price", once it became clear we were heading for a shortage.
Old July 13, 2020, 10:18 AM   #7
Machineguntony

I agree with rule 1, but not rule 2.

Save up money every payday by putting money into an interest bearing account, but instead of buying ammo haphazardly, save up enough, and then keep a lookout for deeply discounted promotions and sales online, and then buy a large bulk.

Sometimes, sales can get absurd and you want to pounce.
Old July 13, 2020, 10:54 AM   #8
buck460XVR

I rarely buy ammo anymore since I reload. But components I buy when I find them at a good price and I can afford them, not when I need them. I don't dip into any rainy-day monies but when a supplier sends me a discount code or is running a special and I have room on the plastic, I go for it. My boys will be reloading for years I what I have left after I die.

The OP's advice works for him. Others have to find out what works for them. Maybe having a closet full of ammo after very election is not the goal. For some, a box or two extra is all they will ever need, while the next guy gets nervous when he is below a case of every caliber he shoots. Find your own niche. Like when riding motorcycle in a group. You don't have to keep up, you do what makes you comfortable and safe.
Old July 13, 2020, 02:56 PM   #9
Mk VII

Here we can't do this, as we are limited in the amount that the cops will let you buy.
Old July 13, 2020, 03:58 PM   #10
Onward Allusion

Treat ammo purchases like buying stocks - dollar cost averaging... Always be buying...
Old July 14, 2020, 08:21 AM   #11
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
So this ammo shortage seems to be a common topic here and in general. Ammo shortages seem to be common and always seems to go in cycles of feast or famine. I learned to shoot when I was 15 and my friend gave me 2 very important rules for ammunition that I wanted to pass on.

Rule 1. Set aside money every payday like it is a bill so you will always have money to buy ammo when you can get it.

Rule 2. Buy an extra box. Buy 1 box to shoot and 1 box to save. When there is a shortage you will have ammo to shoot.

My Rule 2 modification. This is for if you are a new shooter, getting a new caliber or just don't have much on hand. Buy 3 boxes, shoot 1, save the other until you get to a point where you could maintain your normal shooting schedule for about 6 months without buying any ammo at all.

I fully admit I have not followed these rules as well as I should have. With that said I am in a lot better place than I would have been otherwise. These 2 rules have really helped me over the years and I hope they can help some of you too.
Rule #1: Reload
Rule #2: Always keep a stock pile of componenents on hand.
Rule#3: Dont forget rule # 2.
Old July 14, 2020, 08:33 AM   #12
GE-Minigun

As others have mentioned...reload and purchase components as you can. While starting out is expensive, it's no more expensive than a couple new guns...something to think about
Old July 14, 2020, 09:32 AM   #13
seanc

When I buy loaded cartridges, I buy in bulk. Obviously, now's not the time to stock up. A few months ago, 9mm could be had for $180/1,000 delivered for decent brass cased ammo. That was basically the going price since last summer (various brands).

I reload for 9mm, .380 and now .45ACP. 9mm reloading hardly made sense as cheap as it was before the Wuflu, but now it totally makes sense. Luckily, just before the riots started, I got back into .45 and placed an order for all 3 bullets and now I see even bullets are out of stock everywhere. I have factory rounds but prefer to save those. I can load more accurate rounds for less $$, at least when I have the time to roll my own. For .380 & .45ACP, it always made sense to reload, for cost and more accurate range fodder.
Old July 16, 2020, 10:57 PM   #14
Ignition Override

A) Personal initiative for people who Knew that several previous panics (school tragedies etc) could not have been predicted already knew what to do--all by themselves.

They did Not need to be Directed by other people to plan ahead.

B) Even in non-panic times, always buy a chunk of ammo for a gun in a chambering which is new to you-Before you buy the gun.

Last edited by Ignition Override; July 18, 2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old July 17, 2020, 08:17 AM   #15
7.62 man

The best advice I can give is to keep track of ammo prices. Keep a list of ammo search engines & check them regularly.
No you don't have to buy from them but it will let you know if prices are going up or down.
Buy in bulk when the prices are low, that's usually winter time when it's cold most people don't go to the range to do much shooting.
Keep stocked up on the normal calibers first, if there is a run on ammo it will go first then you can stock up on the odd calibers.
But the ultimate advice is if you shoot a caliber all the time or if you carry for self protection Learn To Reload!
Yes it is a lot of things to buy & a lot of things to learn but it has great rewards.
Old July 18, 2020, 01:05 AM   #16
rc

Extra box? How about buy the best deals you can when you can by the case.
Old July 18, 2020, 02:59 PM   #17
cw308

This time I was cought off guard , first this China flu then a sucker punch with the riots. I have carry ammo 45acp .In my area all the rifles & shotguns were gone in all the LGS. 223 gone , on line , back ordered or out of stock no back order. Found 1000 bulk 223 55gr 45¢ a round , bought it and in 2 hours all was gone. Things will loosen in up and for sure I will keep a good inventory of reloads and store bought , oddly enough 9mm was still on the shelves. World's going wacky, just be ready , pick a side , no gray area.
Old July 18, 2020, 03:04 PM   #18
cw308

MK
You have your hands full too.
Old July 18, 2020, 07:58 PM   #19
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm

Rule #3. Disregard rules #1 and #2. Instead of buying loaded ammo , create TRUE shooting independence and invest all that you can into RELOADING, and even better bullet casting.
Old July 18, 2020, 10:11 PM   #20
seanc

Baby steps Road Clam. Baby steps...stockpile, bulk buying, then reloading .
Old July 20, 2020, 05:41 AM   #21
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
Rule #3. Disregard rules #1 and #2. Instead of buying loaded ammo , create TRUE shooting independence and invest all that you can into RELOADING, and even better bullet casting.
Several shortages ago, that was a good suggestion. Nowadays, if you don't look ahead, and keep your stock up, you can get caught with your pants down and SOL just like factory ammo. All you have to do is go to the reloading forum and see all the "where are the primers/powder/projectile?" threads and you'll see this is not the solution either. Folks buying reloading equipment now are in the same boat as folks buying their first gun.....nuttin' to go with it.
Old July 20, 2020, 08:34 AM   #22
cw308

Looks like the only state that doesn't have a shortage is Chicago.
Old July 20, 2020, 11:56 AM   #23
skywag

I'm still shooting ammo scockpiled in the 1970's

Old July 20, 2020, 02:42 PM   #24
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywag View Post
I'm still shooting ammo scockpiled in the 1970's

I temember paying $19 a thousand for Sidewinder .22LR. that was in the early 90's.
Old July 20, 2020, 07:03 PM   #25
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR
Several shortages ago, that was a good suggestion. Nowadays, if you don't look ahead, and keep your stock up, you can get caught with your pants down and SOL just like factory ammo. All you have to do is go to the reloading forum and see all the "where are the primers/powder/projectile?" threads and you'll see this is not the solution either. Folks buying reloading equipment now are in the same boat as folks buying their first gun.....nuttin' to go with it.
Pretty much agree. Seems to be the common trend is that guys own several guns, and simply way underestimate how quickly guns eat ammo especially if you have a "happy finger". If it's one thing that reloading has taught me is the fact that reloading even with a progressive press takes a LOT of time invested. When you have to spend SO much time reloading you tend to shoot slowly and with purpose and precision.