The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 15, 2018, 07:20 PM   #51
labnoti

As you pointed out, there's a lot more to this than gun selection, but since you only asked about that.
The new S&W .380 "EZ" is easy to run. The one without a safety lever is better. Other than the questionable practice of running a revolver in single-action, I can't think of a handgun that is easier.

A long gun has a lot of advantages. If she can't handle the recoil of a 20 ga, consider a "pistol caliber carbine" which could include semi-autos and lever guns. A lever .357 can be short with light recoil. A semi-auto carbine in 9mm that takes common magazines like Glock or Beretta is another good idea.

Better train hard no matter what. How she stores it is important too. She'd really be better off if she'd carry something. If you're staring down an assailant in the living room, the LCP in your pocket is better than the AR in your sock drawer or the back of the closet in the other room. It's also true when you walk to your car, the mailbox, or anywhere else.
Old June 15, 2018, 07:48 PM   #52
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Dayacetah View Post
A 22 rifle would be far better in a house than a shotgun. Ever fire a shotgun indoors?
That's why they provide subtitles with movies.
Yes I have and it's not worse than being dead.
Old June 17, 2018, 08:47 AM   #53
rodfac

A shotgun that you can handle and your wife if that's possible is my recommendation...bird shot is good at close range, and you can use it for fun shooting clay birds as well as home defense.

This is a handgun forum so I assume you're interested in that type of weapon. I'd recommend good training if you go that route as well as a lot of practice to gain proficiency. A handgun's pluses are portability and the ability to carry concealed...but requires far more skill (read; training) to wield effectively in a dire emergency than a shotgun. So it you don't plan to carry away from home, the shotgun would be my choice, were I you.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 18, 2018, 01:12 AM   #54
KY_blkout

The only thing that turns me off with shotguns for home defense is shot capacity on most. I could be wrong in my concern or way of thinking but if I have multiple people breaking in I for sure dont want to be reloading or trying to while getting fired at.

Last edited by KY_blkout; June 18, 2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old June 18, 2018, 05:59 AM   #55
FITASC

I would imagine after you splatter the first two coming through the door, the others won't stick around
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 19, 2018, 05:28 PM   #56
peacefulgary

Get her a Glock 19.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:22 PM   #57
Colorado Redneck

Bear Mace

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/bearspray.htm

Easy to use. Easy to carry around. Won't kill some drunk that got into the wrong house. Cheap. No hearing damage.
Old June 19, 2018, 11:20 PM   #58
Buzzcook

I'm kinda shocked that no one has posted this link yet.
http://www.corneredcat.com/

This is a firearms site for women, but anyone can learn from it. This would be my forst stop when looking for a first gun for someone new to firearms.

My first question of the OP would be, is there a race? Does this person need a firearm now or else?

If not, gift her with an introductory class where she can become familiar with different types of firearms. Take her to a gun range that rents and let her try a variety of guns.

The best thing you can do is give this person access to information so she can make her own choice and support her to the best of your ability.
Old June 20, 2018, 06:11 AM   #59
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Redneck View Post
Bear Mace

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/bearspray.htm

Easy to use. Easy to carry around. Won't kill some drunk that got into the wrong house. Cheap. No hearing damage.
How effective is bear mace against someone who is on alcohol and/or on drugs?
Old June 20, 2018, 06:18 AM   #60
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcook View Post
I'm kinda shocked that no one has posted this link yet.
http://www.corneredcat.com/

This is a firearms site for women, but anyone can learn from it. This would be my forst stop when looking for a first gun for someone new to firearms.

My first question of the OP would be, is there a race? Does this person need a firearm now or else?

If not, gift her with an introductory class where she can become familiar with different types of firearms. Take her to a gun range that rents and let her try a variety of guns.

The best thing you can do is give this person access to information so she can make her own choice and support her to the best of your ability.
There isn't a race in that there isn't a known life or death situation. I'll let my step daughter use some of my firearms to get an idea of what she wants. I don't have a ton of guns but they do cover a fairly wide range of platforms. She can use one of my firearms until she gets what she wants or if she is happy with one of mine, I'll probably give it to her as a gift.
Old June 20, 2018, 08:42 AM   #61
K_Mac

I think she needs to try many of the weapons listed in this thread in order to make her own informed decision.

I think a shotgun with #4 buckshot or bigger is a reasonable choice for hunkering down and waiting for help, but my wife hates the noise, weight, and recoil.

Bear spray for bears in the woods is likely OK, but using it in your house is not.

I would not rule out a 9 mm pistol or carbine. An AR carbine is also worth a look.

Let her choose what she is most comfortable with, after using them all. Good luck.
Old June 20, 2018, 09:59 AM   #62
Colorado Redneck

Quote:
How effective is bear mace against someone who is on alcohol and/or on drugs?
How effective is a gun against that kind of assailant? The OP is referencing a young lady with limited experience with firearms. Lots of gun owners might feel safe with that gun in the sock drawer, but when an intense situation unfolds how many will have the presence of mind to get the gun, call 911 and be capable of firing shots that will effectively stop an attack? I have no doubt that some people can use a gun effectively AND legally. But IMO many people are kidding themselves.

Just pointing out there are other options. We have both guns and mace.
Old June 20, 2018, 10:27 AM   #63
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Redneck View Post
How effective is a gun against that kind of assailant? The OP is referencing a young lady with limited experience with firearms. Lots of gun owners might feel safe with that gun in the sock drawer, but when an intense situation unfolds how many will have the presence of mind to get the gun, call 911 and be capable of firing shots that will effectively stop an attack? I have no doubt that some people can use a gun effectively AND legally. But IMO many people are kidding themselves.

Just pointing out there are other options. We have both guns and mace.
I wasn't trying to slam your suggestion, just asking about some of its effectiveness since I've never owned/used Bear Spray. As far as the effectiveness of a gun against someone on drugs and/or alcohol, a lot of it would depend on where they were hit.
Old June 20, 2018, 11:04 AM   #64
K_Mac

Using bear spray or any other pepper or chemical spray inside the house will quickly change your mind about its effectiveness for home defense. I carry a spray often, and have convinced a couple of aggressive dogs to go away by using it. Outdoors.

A woman spraying an attacker inside will almost immediately receive enough to give advantage to the assailant. Bear spray is readily available. Give it a try and report back to us.
Old June 20, 2018, 11:46 AM   #65
Colorado Redneck

There is a chance the person using pepper spray inside might be affected. Cops use it often inside. As with any interaction with a bad guy, there is risk. Better than nothing, but imperfect. Shooting a gun inside is not risk free either.

I get that many posters here would prefer a gun and would recommend a gun for self defense/home defense. Personally a gun is my preferance as well. Each of us has to weight the risks and benefits of any self defense technique.
Old June 20, 2018, 01:26 PM   #66
SIGSHR

A new shooter should start with a 22. I recommend a full size CZ with their Kadet unit.
Old June 20, 2018, 10:44 PM   #67
Water-Man

I think your original train of thought was a good one.

Something like a used S&W Model 10 3" or 4" .38spl.
Old June 21, 2018, 10:56 AM   #68
Kirosha

There is no any 1 gun to beat all home defense guns.

The reality is, 95% of home intruders aren't willing to stick around after the first shot fired. The other 5% are mentally unstable or on reality changing substances.

Any gun owner, no matter the excuse, should have adequate training in the gun they own. So if she can shoot and learns to handle a S&W 500 then That's the gun for her. So semi or revolver, doesn't matter. Most home defense scenarios dont require more than 5 shots, and most that shoot more are proven that it wasnt necessary to do so.

I would honestly recommend a .22lr like the SR22. If you want to upgrade that you can choose a .357 revolver and load .38 or go with a G19.

For a long gun, I would again recommend an AR platform .22lr like the S&W M&P 15-22. You can upgrade that to a 12 ga shotgun with reduced recoil 00 buckshot or a PCC in the AR platform.

I've shot thousands of rounds of CCI Mini Mags with no issue from both the SR22 and the M&P 15-22. Again, no home intruder in their right mind is going to stick around and risk getting shot. Every situation causes a person to assess the situation to decide if it is worth going for the gun, even at your hip.
Old June 24, 2018, 09:45 AM   #69
PatientWolf

Quote:
A woman spraying an attacker inside will almost immediately receive enough to give advantage to the assailant. Bear spray is readily available. Give it a try and report back to us.
I was at Yellowstone last year and a youngster fired some bear spray in the Visitor Center at Old Faithful. They called rescue for multiple individuals and closed the Visitor Center for the remainder of the day.

I'm not sure bear spray indoors would be my first choice. On the other hand, nobody was severely injured.
Old June 24, 2018, 10:28 AM   #70
Glenn E. Meyer

Before you recommend a shotgun, I might suggest that one find a local shotgun IDPA or USPSA style match and see how you handle it in a movement and stress situation. I don't like it as a suggestion for a newbie who doesn't practice. Will it work for some and has it, sure - but not optimal in my opinion.

A mild shooting handgun in 38 SPL or 9mm with some training and practice should work just fine.
Old June 24, 2018, 09:07 PM   #71
Red Devil

RUGER LCRx 38+P 3"/Winchester 130 gr. PDX1 +P.

Red
Old June 25, 2018, 12:30 PM   #72
Chainsaw.

If it were my daughter, of which I have none. I would give/recommend a "compact" auto loader of very reliable fashion like a glock or S&W m&p, with the biggest mag I could stuff in it with high quality ammo. 20 odd shots will get alot more work done than 6, especially if Im worried about "her" hitting something while scared to death.

Or better still a 9mm AR pistol, easy to use, shake awake red dot, flash light mounted on the gun, 33 rounds of "get the heck outta my house" hanging below.

Situation would dictate alot.