The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 11, 2018, 09:28 PM   #1
kymasabe

Good AR parts kit or lower build kit ??

I'm thinking I'd like to buy a stripped lower and build it completely, am thinking of a Ballistic Precision or Aero lower. But, the question then becomes, what parts kit to put in it? I was at my local gun show over the weekend and saw lots of private label lowers and lots of Anderson lowers, and I don' know who's parts kit they were using but they all looked the same, and every trigger had too much creep and was gritty.
Does anyone offer a better than usual mil-spec parts kit without a crappy trigger? I don't need fancy safety switches or different colors or anything, just clean simple black is fine, I just need better than business-as-usual cheapy stuff I've been seeing everywhere. I'm just trying to find an alternative to buying a lower parts kit, plus an ALG ACT trigger or my usual Toms Tactical/Wolff combo.
Old June 11, 2018, 11:04 PM   #2
marine6680

Most parts kits are fairly similar, but you can tell that some are better than others.

PSA parts kits are decent, but not the best.

BCM parts kits cost a lot more, and usually come with their upgraded trigger. Overall fit and finish seems nicer.

But I find that the CMMG parts kits to be reasonably priced if you shop around, and very good quality too.

The CMMG trigger is the best standard mil spec trigger I have felt. Very smooth for bog standard.
Old June 11, 2018, 11:09 PM   #3
KY_blkout

Most mil spec lower parts kits in my experience seem to be the same anymore. I got an out of spec pivot pin from midway's house brand (AR stoner) when I was doing one of my 80 percent lowers but other than that I've used all other brands and I can't seem to find a difference. As far as trigger, if you are unsure what kind of feel you like find an adjustable drop in and tune it to your liking.
Old June 12, 2018, 12:02 AM   #4
rickyrick

I get a milspec parts kit from reputable retailers like aero, cmmg and so on... but I end up ditching the triggers.
The only “stock” trigger that I’ve kept in the original gun was a cmmg trigger. Better than ALS-QMS and others’ enhanced triggers.
I’ll save you some steps and recommend a Geissele G2S trigger.
Old June 12, 2018, 04:15 AM   #5
PatientWolf

Personally, I like the BCM LPK. The triggers in the ones I’ve handles have been a definite upgrade over the typical LPKs. If you are going to upgrade to a premium trigger it may not be worth it though.
Old June 12, 2018, 02:09 PM   #6
Handler62

I'll second cmmg as being "acceptable" enough to keep in a gun and the cmmg lpk is reasonably priced too.

If your planning on a good trigger upgrade then lpk really doesn't matter as long as it's from a reputable company.

On a side note I love the POF single stage dropin triggers, specifically the 3.5lb straight blade. You can get them for about$120 and I'll take them over any $200 trigger. (Gander outdoors has them for$135 with 15% off right now)
Old June 12, 2018, 02:14 PM   #7
rickyrick

I have a POF trigger that I love as well.
Old June 12, 2018, 06:43 PM   #8
Liberate80

Keep it simple and cost effective.
Get a stainless Anderson LPK on EBAY, $42. ALG ACT's are better. Next are drop ins.
Get a Balistic Advantage barrel at monmouthreloading.com
Or a Black Hole Weaponry barrel at surplusammo.com
For flash and brake get an AFAB from precisionarmament.com

These are all middle of the road parts that work great.

For 10 bux on ebay you can get a buffer that weighs just over an H2. Great for recoil

Spend money on the 3 B's. Barrel, Bolt, Buffer spring. Everything else is tailored to how you feel.

And if you want a good oil and lube. 3in1 oil and groil. My groil mix is about 2 parts 3in1 oil, 1 part Lucas molybdenum grease. Mix grease into oil, it mixes quicker. Slather bolt.

NiB bolts run smoother for longer. Get one that is HPT/MPI

Last edited by Liberate80; June 12, 2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old June 12, 2018, 06:58 PM   #9
44caliberkid

You can buy LPK's without the trigger or hammer and their springs. Then buy a better trigger, like ALG or a modular drop in. I've tried most of the drop ins and like them all, so I usually look for them to be on sale at $100 - $115.
Old June 12, 2018, 08:10 PM   #10
rickyrick

Anderson has acceptable stuff in most cases. I hated the Anderson trigger that I got once.

Some sellers do have builders LPKs that don’t have triggers as the above poster mentioned.
Old June 12, 2018, 08:47 PM   #11
Mobuck

"You can buy LPK's without the trigger or hammer and their springs. Then buy a better trigger, like ALG"

One of the better bits of advice.
Old June 13, 2018, 07:23 PM   #12
stagpanther

My favorite lowers are the ones that can hold a trigger and buffer assembly. It helps a lot if they mate well with the upper.
Old June 13, 2018, 09:41 PM   #13
kymasabe

Hey, what about Spikes Tactical parts kits and triggers groups. I see they offer with and without triggers...any good ??
Old June 13, 2018, 10:45 PM   #14
KY_blkout

I realllly want to do a spike hellbreaker lower for my next build. Spikes is considered a quality brand of lowers and parts.
Old June 14, 2018, 12:29 PM   #15
Liberate80

Spikes are nice. Their lowers are good, just as good as Aero, but Aero just put out a new style that look great.

Spikes, CMMG, Colt, BCM, DSArms, PSA, DPMS, and on and on, all basically have the same LPK's for $80 and under. Enhanced and EPT'S are better. Andersons silver stainless works just as well as all the other standard LPK's for half the price, there is a stainless version that is parkerized, not as smooth. That is why I recommend Andersons LPK. An $80 BCM LPK is wasted money that can be used toward a better barrel or bolt. Velocity triggers are $150 with a 4lb pull, get it with a straight trigger and it will feel lower like a 3.5lb pull, the 3.5lb version does not always ignite primers of cheap ammo. Velocity triggers are made by a guy who used to work for Timney. I do not like Geissele triggers for the price point, or that the cheaper ones have way too much creep.

Wolff enhanced buffer springs and H2 buffers, military use H2, help reduce felt recoil and slow the bolt cycle rate, more gases go out barrel than back into receiver. You can save money by taking a cheap buffer and melting lead into it to give you roughly an H2 buffer, again, giving you more money toward a good barrel and bolt.

Remember the 3B's, barrel, bolt, buffer system.

The sky is the limit with AR parts, but as with any gun, barrels and bolts make all the difference.

Go with name brand gas blocks. There is too much Chicom crap on the market, unless you want to chance boring and drilling a gas block to make it work.

If you want fun handguards, get a UniqueAR handguard. The bees knees. Unique-ars.com
Geissele makes superb handguards.

Get a buffer tube made from 7075, 6061 are for commercial size since the tube is thicker and can handle a softer aluminum. For a butt stock get a Magpul CTR. The fat buttstocks cost more and cause your head to tilt while trying to get a good cheekweld, not good. CTR's lock solid, none of the others do at that price point. Worth every penny. Dont waste time and money with other stocks.

If you want to get crazy, Law Tactical makes a great side folding stock adaptor.

Magpul Moe+ or K2+ are the most comfortable cheap grips to shoot with.

Cheap rubber Chicom rail ladders on Ebay are 4 for $10 and just as good as all the rest.

Dont go any cheaper than a Bushnell TRS-25 for a red dot, and that is pushing it.

Last edited by Liberate80; June 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old June 14, 2018, 12:56 PM   #16
44caliberkid

Spikes makes a good product. Yes, I love The Jack lower, with the skull magwell. Just haven't felt like spending the money. However, I have a Fortis Night Rail that I want to build a gun around (just thought it was so darn cool) so maybe a skull lower would be right for that.
Old June 15, 2018, 11:49 AM   #17
kymasabe

Well, my Anderson lower should be arriving at my FFL today and I have a complete PSA lower kit waiting for that lower. Then, I just ordered a Spikes Tactical lower kit, less trigger, for a build I'm planning next month, and thinking of a Ballistic Advantage lower of the new Aero lower that has the built in trigger guard. I have a HiperFire EDT waiting to go in that build. Will report any issues with parts fitment with either kit or lower.