The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 20, 2017, 12:16 AM   #1
Jeryray

Smith model 14 eject problem.

Stating shooting a 480 match, on my final target, when I tried to reject, one round caught under the star. By the time I cleared it, time was over. Blew my aggregate average..

I have been reloading for my matches for 40 years.

I also have never had to re-load and continue shooting.

The guys I am shooting with say they always use Remington new ammo for matches.

Thoughts?
Old October 20, 2017, 03:06 AM   #2
10-96

I would like to hear their reasoning behind using new Rem ammo for matches- there wouldn't be a little leg pulling on their part, would there?

As far as jumping the star- sometimes that just happens, not very common though. Does anything look wrong with it? Or can you replicate the issue with your loaded dummy's? It may have been just a one-off weird angle or something. If you can't get it to do it again, then I wouldn't worry too much. But if it does, holler back at us and we'll cuss and discuss the issue and set about finding you a cure.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 20, 2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Don P

Quote:
I also have never had to re-load and continue shooting.

The guys I am shooting with say they always use Remington new ammo for matches.

Thoughts?
I have added the emphasis to your statement. Practice is what is needed. Nothing to do with ammo. I shoot revolver competition and part of your problem is you need to get the muzzle vertical and let gravity plus the ejector remove the cases from the cylinder. From the sound of your issue you are keeping the gun at an angle far less than vertical which will cause the cases to get caught under the star.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 20, 2017, 11:57 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...one round caught under the star..." That's neither the revolver or the ammo. Like 10-96 says, it's an 'excrement happens' thing. Your 14 probably needs a good solid thump on the extractor rod to clear 'em reliably.
"...using new Rem ammo..." Works in their firearm. My Smith 41 won't shoot or cycle with anything else but Remington Target. Well, it'll shoot IVI Standard velocity but that's not made any more.
Old October 20, 2017, 12:41 PM   #5
MrBorland

Did someone chamfer the chamber mouths at some point? If yes, did that someone chamfer the entire chamber mouth - including the ejector star? Unless it's a dedicated moonclip gun, when chamfering the chamber mouths, the ejector star should only get a very minor chamfering - just enough to take the edge off. Any more than this can easily lead to cases getting stuck under the ejector.

Does the ejector operate smoothly? If the shaft of the ejector star is a teensy bent, it could lead to cases getting stuck as well.

Or, as others suggest - get that gun vertical, and be authoritative with your ejection stroke.
Old October 21, 2017, 12:08 AM   #6
Jeryray

OK, once more tomorrow, And I will hold the barrel vertical, which I did not.

The factory ammo is just a sales pitch to purchase the inflated ammo at the range, of which they only sell 5 boxes as a package.
Old October 21, 2017, 11:38 PM   #7
Jeryray

OK, went to the match, put my reloads away, purchased Factory Remington ammo. 4th target 2nd attempted load of 6 rounds failed. One of the Factory ammo bullets failed to fir in the chamber.

Going back to my SIG P226
Old October 22, 2017, 08:29 AM   #8
straightshooterjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeryray View Post
OK, went to the match, put my reloads away, purchased Factory Remington ammo. 4th target 2nd attempted load of 6 rounds failed. One of the Factory ammo bullets failed to fir in the chamber.
I am not sure that I understand exactly what failure happened here. Was there one round that misfired?

I have fired quite a bit of Remington factory .38 special rounds. I have found them to be a little bit dirtier than some other factory rounds, but basically they are fine. When they are on sale at a good price, I buy them. I have not had problems with misfires.

It is my understanding that Remington primers require a slightly harder firing pin strike than some other primers. Does your revolver have a trigger job or a lightened mainspring? Sometimes a revolver that has been tuned to reduce the double action pull weight will have misfires with certain primers. In these cases, slightly increasing the mainspring tension usually solves the problem.
Old October 23, 2017, 01:56 PM   #9
Jeryray

No Misfire, would not drop into the cylinder.
Crimped improperly.

At lease every round I make goes in the case gauge.

When I resume using my k38, it will be with my own loads..
Old October 23, 2017, 02:34 PM   #10
Jeryray

Photo of the defective .38 round
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fedtraget38.jpg (88.1 KB, 44 views)
Old October 24, 2017, 08:06 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

When loading a gun for ANY serious purpose, inspect all ammo, whether reloads or factory. And that does mean your own reloads; you may have inspected them before but another look doesn't hurt.

(My own practice is to never use any reloads except my own; that way if I get a bad round, I know who messed up and I can kick him in the fanny.)

Jim
Old October 24, 2017, 09:05 PM   #12
ammo.crafter

reloads

Looks like a reloading press issue which caused the spent round to remain in the cylinder.
Old October 24, 2017, 11:31 PM   #13
Jeryray

No more factory ammo for me.

My ammo goes through my case gauge before any match.

What was I thinking using "new" range expensive target ammo....
Old January 9, 2018, 05:58 PM   #14
otasan

That's why when you open the cylinder to reload you elevate your muzzle straight uo and then hit the ejector rod. In this way it is impossible for a casing to end up under the star.