The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2022, 01:58 PM   #1
Bill DeShivs

Keltec P15

Keltec discontinued the old P11, and has replaced it with the P15.
New gun is striker fired, holds 12 in "compact" mode, 15 with larger mag. Weighs about the same as the old P11.
The gun has a grip safety, rather than the ever-popular trigger dingus.
Tritium/fiber optic sights.
Old January 17, 2022, 08:09 PM   #2
Super Sneaky Steve

They really hopped on the aggressive texture train.

I happen to prefer smooth sides so the gun doesn't grind into my side. I've never had a hard time holding onto a pistol.

Kel Tec should make about 10 pistols a year and we'll never see one for sale in the wild.
Old January 18, 2022, 12:56 AM   #3
TruthTellers

I'm not a fan of grip safeties, but looking at this I won't immediately say no. For $250 it would be worth trying, but I doubt we'll ever see them selling that low due to typical Kel Tec low production.

Does make me wonder what the future is for the PF9.
Old January 18, 2022, 03:12 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Keltec actually makes pretty good guns, and I say this with 50+ years of experience working on guns.

Their production is pretty high, too. It's just demand far outstrips production capacity. This is a good thing-you want to sell everything you make, not make more than you can sell.

I didn't know this would be a Keltec bashing post.

I simply saw a new gun and thought some might like to know of it. Steve obviously didn't want to, did he? And he has lots of evidence to back him up....
Old January 18, 2022, 03:23 PM   #5
MarkCO

Pretty intrigued by it. I might pick one up. Going to stop by the factory in February and take a tour.
Old January 18, 2022, 05:35 PM   #6
Super Sneaky Steve

Hey Bill, this is a forum for posting opinions about guns. If you just want the facts go read a review from a website. I own Kel Tec products and have shot many more. Some of their stuff works some of it is garbage. That's what you get for trying something new and I'm glad they aren't afraid to try.
Old January 18, 2022, 11:36 PM   #7
totaldla

This is an interesting design. I'd love to know how they did the magazine.
Old January 19, 2022, 06:54 PM   #8
Ed4032

Yes but does it still take the old s&w magazines? JK It looks so cool. Perfect for the target market that they sell to. Good gun.
Old January 19, 2022, 08:01 PM   #9
Super Sneaky Steve

Looks better in aluminum with wood grips, but still not what I'd call good looking.
Old January 19, 2022, 11:20 PM   #10
armoredman

That is one ugly pistol, looks like a Stechkin had a baby with a P-11. Be interested to see how well it works.
Old January 21, 2022, 07:43 AM   #11
cnj

My experience with Keltec has been great. Although I don't shoot them often, my two P32s have been flawless. I can't say the same for the last 4 out of 5 new pistols I have purchased in the past few months (all of those being from major manufacturers). Had I not just picked up a Ruger LCP Max and Smith CSX, I would likely be very interested in this new P15.
Old January 23, 2022, 12:41 AM   #12
TruthTellers

Yeah, I don't get the hate for the Kel Tecs, two I have are fine and they both cost about $400 new. All those who swore it off because they bought a PF9 within the first year it came out and had issues... it's like, that seems to be the deal with all new handguns these days.

I will not rush out to buy one this year, but excluding the P50, Kel Tec hasn't released a new centerfire pistol since the PF9. Kel Tec has learned much since then...
Old January 23, 2022, 02:09 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

As Armoredman wrote, that IS one ugly-looking pistol. That said, any new pistol that doesn't have that trigger dingus is worth a look, in my opinion.
Jeepaholic
Old January 23, 2022, 07:09 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

You know what Louis Sullivan said . . . . "Form follows function"

i have no dog in this fight . . . but I also know that there re guns that look good bu aren't reliable . . . .

Will be interesting to hear from somebody who actually gets one to hear what they think of it after they have put actual rounds through it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 26, 2022, 09:51 AM   #15
Shadow9mm

I have had 2 kel-tek pistols, and shot one other. Of those 3, 2 were incredibly unreliable. I will most likely never buy a kel-tek ever again.
Old January 26, 2022, 10:11 AM   #16
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
I have had 2 kel-tek pistols, and shot one other. Of those 3, 2 were incredibly unreliable. I will most likely never buy a kel-tek ever again.
Kel Tec fans thank you. They have, for years, sold everything they make keeping almost no inventory. They have a great warranty department as well.
Old January 26, 2022, 10:37 AM   #17
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
Kel Tec fans thank you. They have, for years, sold everything they make keeping almost no inventory. They have a great warranty department as well.
I've used KelTec's warranty on a shot out PF9 and I was quite pleased.
https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyh...slide-cracking

And that PF9 is still my favorite concealment weapon for all day every day carry.
https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyh...ec-pf-9-review
Old January 26, 2022, 10:55 AM   #18
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldla View Post
And that PF9 is still my favorite concealment weapon for all day every day carry.
My NiB slide PF9 is my most carried pistol as well. I have a few Kahrs, but carry the PF9 a lot more. When I am working security I carry the CZP07 or for funerals or weddings, the 3" 1911, but the PF9 is at least 300 days a year.
Old January 26, 2022, 12:46 PM   #19
Bill DeShivs

Some people simply can't shoot Keltecs.
Old January 26, 2022, 01:20 PM   #20
wild cat mccane

To be fair, my PF-9 couldn't hit crap on it's best day.

That said, that thing doesn't look particularly small? or is it just how disproportional the slide looks to the grip area?
Old January 26, 2022, 01:40 PM   #21
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
To be fair, my PF-9 couldn't hit crap on it's best day.

That said, that thing doesn't look particularly small? or is it just how disproportional the slide looks to the grip area?
Inanimate objects don't have good and bad days. People shooting guns do. I still think the G23 is one of the best all-around CCW pistols. I can't shoot it well, so I don't have one.

The P15 is not small per se. It is a medium sized pistol.
Old January 26, 2022, 02:22 PM   #22
wild cat mccane

Gotcha.

The mention of the P11 had me thinking it was a replacement of the p11 which is small.
Old January 26, 2022, 04:18 PM   #23
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Some people simply can't shoot Keltecs.
I had 2 pf9s at different times. Both worked functionally operated the same as many others. I bought both new. Both had failures to extract and or stove pipes 1 to 2 times every 50rnds. Kel tek sent me a new extractor and spring for the first one. Did not fix the problem. Sold it. Bought the 2nd one a couple years later, same problems, sold it. Bought a ruger lc9s, no issues. Both pf9s were taken to the range and had 250rnds through them after purchasing to ensure they were broken in. Despite this I could trust neither.

Friend had a p32. Only shot 2 mags out of the gun. Pinched my finger under recoil. Was reliable though.

In short, I won't be trying the p15. It looks like any other keltek gun, and I trust it the same.
Old January 26, 2022, 05:22 PM   #24
wild cat mccane

What in the heck am I missing about the back of that slide that makes it so ridiculous in form?
Old January 26, 2022, 09:11 PM   #25
DubC-Hicks

Quote:
What in the heck am I missing about the back of that slide that makes it so ridiculous in form?
From my understanding, the whole rear shell of the slide comes off and gets replaced with optics mounts.