The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 19, 2010, 09:49 AM   #1
LordTio3

SKS Magazine Swap

I'm thinking about getting an SKS. I have a solid 5.56mm platform and I like the accuracy of the round and the capacity of my 30 round magazines for it. But I'm seriously thinking about adding a 7.62mm to my case. I'm seeing a lot of great deals locally on SKS rifles, and I've found one that is in mint condition. It's got a smooth dark red grain stock and the metal is all flawless. It's even got a polished Bayonet. But it's got that 10 round internal magazine.

I'm wanting to know how big of a deal it would be to swap that out to receive external magazines. I'd like to be able to use some 30 rounders in it, but don't know if that would entail just a few minutes of swapping, or getting a whole new receiver for it.

So, what's the consensus? Big deal?

~LT
Old November 19, 2010, 10:22 AM   #2
goodspeed(TPF)

It's not a big deal to swap out the internal 10 rounder and have the ability to use detachable magazines. Just keep in mind that some of the aftermarket detachable magazines work with some SKSs and some don't. You may have to try a few different brands before you find one that works in your particular SKS. Don't get frustrated iffin the first mag you buy doesn't fit/work all that well. Tolerances and all. Buying a polymer (plastic) magazine is usually recommended as you can trim/shape the plastic if it doesn't fit "just right". Heck, you might even luck out the first time. Once you have one that works, buy more of that brand. Pretty simple and loads of fun when you're done. Hows about a pic of before and after? Good luck. -Goodspeed

P.S. Reloading an SKS with a clip is MUCH faster than reloading one with a magazine. No foolin

I have a Yugo that takes mags and a Russian that is all original. The Yugo is fun indeed but the Russian is just soooo cool as is. Enjoy.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml

Tags
external , internal , magazine , sks