The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2022, 06:20 PM   #1
TonyRogo

HD shotgun Maverick 88 vs Mossberg shockwave

Hello everyone, not new to shotgun shooting but having a tough time deciding mad looking for opinions,advice and such. I want a dedicated home defense shotgun (12 gauge) and looking current at 2. At my local fin feather and fur they have a Maverick 88 12g with and 18' barrel with either a collapsible stco, regular stock or pistol grip for $219 or I can spend the extra dough and get a 590 shock wave 12gauge for $450. Obviously I want something reliable and feeds reliably. I definitely won't be using this shotgun for anything other then home defense. The safety it's an issue with either. I want this gun to last so the pinned forearm is a minor concern for me on the 88. Just can't decide if paying am extra $200+ for the shock wave is worth it or not. If anyone has either of these I'd definitely like their input. Thank you.
Old January 12, 2022, 01:14 AM   #2
Virginian

Get the Maverick with the regular stock and never look back. I can't think of a worse gun to start on than a Shockwave or a pistol grip shotgun.
Old January 12, 2022, 11:19 AM   #3
jmr40

I'm not a fan of the shockwave style guns. And I think you can do better than a Maverick. If you were even considering $450 for the shockwave I think you can spend roughly the same on a better gun than the Maverick.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ss+121853+hdwd

Winston Churchill
Old January 12, 2022, 12:05 PM   #4
TonyRogo

Thanks for the feedback. This would be used strictly for HD and nothing else. Ill take a better look at the Remington security model. What intrigued me was the 14' barrel on the shockwave.
Old January 12, 2022, 12:59 PM   #5
FITASC

Go with a regular stocked gun. That third point of contact will lead to better shooting
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 12, 2022, 07:48 PM   #6
TBM900

For HD I would take a PCC long before any shotgun

Thats said...
If I had to use a shotgun it would be a full stock model
Old January 12, 2022, 09:34 PM   #7
kenny53

The Mavrick 88, they are good shotguns, cost less and easier to aim under stress.
Old January 13, 2022, 11:56 AM   #8
10-96

+1 on anything but a Shockwave.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 13, 2022, 06:12 PM   #9
ZEBRARANGER

I agree with the others. I have a Mossberg 500 combo (18" & 26" barrels) and other than the location of the safety, they're virtually the same gun. its about 22 years old now and has never failed to function. Definitely more accurate with the standard stock vs the pistol grip.
Old January 14, 2022, 06:50 AM   #10
kymasabe

My worthless opinion:
Shockwave is out, pistol grip shotguns are terrible.
Given the choice of the two you listed, I'd go for the Mav88.
Other options, I'd also be looking for a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870. I've had 870's for most if my life, and while the slide release and safety are in the wrong place, muscle memory makes using an 870 a breeze, and they shoulder and aim naturally for me.
I moved, I sold the 870, and bought a Mossy500. It cycles beautifully, the slide release and safety are in the right place but year later I still have to hunt for them, the factory safety sucked so I replaced it with a VangComp big speed safety (excellent upgrade by the way) and this gun shoulders differently and I can't hit a damn thing with it (in trap or sporting clays) but its 100% reliable, I have 3 barrels for it, and with its 18 inch security barrel is an excellent choice for home defense.
If you can afford the shockwave, I'd invest in the 870 or 500 instead, depending on which fits you better.
Old January 14, 2022, 07:46 AM   #11
TBM900

How much experience do you have with shotguns?

Given the incredible chasm between your two choices I would assume little to none
Nothing wrong with that, it's just that shotguns do require some effort to learn to run well
Do you know what you're getting into with one?
Old January 14, 2022, 01:08 PM   #12
TonyRogo

I have some experience with shotguns and but it's been a good few years since shooting. I wanted a reliable durable HD shotgun. There really wasn't much of a criteria other then that.
I knew I wanted to keep the price to about 400$ or less. The Remingtons coming out now are priced above that. Not interested in any shotgun that doesn't have a track tlrecord yet for reliability. They are currently selling full stock Mossberg 590s for 400$ that I'm gonna take a look at as well. I understand the raptor grip isn't ideal, the 14' barrel and build using a 590 housing was the appeal. Also was looking at using mini shells to help with recoil.
Old January 14, 2022, 05:44 PM   #13
Siggy-06

Go with the full stock maverick 88. Better control and aiming. Grab a few boxes of 2 3/4 low recoil buckshot.
Old January 14, 2022, 08:20 PM   #14
Sharkbite

I have a shockwave and a few other defensive shotguns. A 590 (full stock) a Benelli M1 and a cpl others.

The shockwave is by FAR my least favorite 12ga. Ive got considerable experience with defensive 12ga guns and i find it hard to recommend the shockwave except for very limited uses.
Old January 14, 2022, 08:34 PM   #15
TonyRogo

So to add to this would people recommend the 18' barrel Mossberg 590 for $400 or Maverick 88 with the same barrel length for $239? I like Mossberg for their reliability. I want a sturdy, durable shotgun.
Old January 14, 2022, 11:17 PM   #16
PatientWolf

I’d go for the regular 590 over the maverick 88.
Old January 15, 2022, 04:03 AM   #17
Bill DeShivs

The maverick is basically the same gun as the Mossberg.
If it's just for home defense, get the Maverick.
Old January 15, 2022, 09:30 AM   #18
Siggy-06

The 590 will have a thicker/heavier barrel, and the safety will be in a different location. If you plan on customizing the shotgun, the 590 is the wat to go. The extra weight will help with recoil too.
Old January 15, 2022, 09:54 AM   #19
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRogo View Post
Also was looking at using mini shells to help with recoil.
Yea if you are already looking at was to reduce recoil with such I would seriously suggest reconsidering a shotgun, especially accounting for my earlier comment. I know there is a psychological draw to them but after about half a century of shooting and instructing I've come to the conclusion that they are the last thing I recommend to people.

In that price range you can get a new 9mm Sub2k or other used PCC and will likely have much better results and experience. I'm sure you don't want to hear that but that is reality.

Further, the Mini Shells can be problematic, enough that if I just had to have a shotgun and was considering them to reduce recoil... I would just get a 410. I like the idea of the Mini's but they simply aren't reliable. Yes there are devices you can insert to help with feeding, but I've found them to not be 100%. There are even a few shotguns that will supposedly feed them well but not 100%. I know because I've tried them as I like the idea of the Mini Shells and really hoped to find a reliable platform.

410 will give you roughly the same performance and in platforms that are far more reliable as they were designed from the start around the shell. You can also often find some really nice high quality vintage brand name 410's on the used market (Winchester, Remington, Mossberg) in your price range.

A good option is the Mossberg 505 at a bit over 36" and 5# it is compact and light, a solid shotgun that is easy on the shoulder but very effective. It may not look "tact-cool" but it will get the HD job done as well as a 12ga. I've seen them in local shops right at your price range.

Just some free advice
Old January 16, 2022, 12:23 PM   #20
TonyRogo

Appreciate everyone's comments and advice. I really have my heart set on a shotgun as I do miss shooting one and miss having one. I looked at 5 gun stores in my area ( it was a long day) every carbine was way out of my price range for one, and after handling the Maverick 88,590, and a 590 shockwave I decided to go with the 590. Gonna put a few hundred rounds of bird shot and perhaps some buck before deciding if I want a rail,laser and any other ninja stuff. I prefer to keep it as basic and practical as possible. Heading out today in this freezing weather to put my first 50 rounds of shot down range. Appreciate everyone's advice again. God bless.
Old January 21, 2022, 01:49 PM   #21
bamaranger

Better

Anything you can do with a shockwave or pistol gripped gun, you can do better with the full stocked version.

Buy the Mav88, spend the difference on ammo, light loads for initiation and training, some heavy buck for familiarzation and ready use.

The shockwave and PG look cool and stow well, but have a very,very small niche in application and use.
Old January 22, 2022, 10:47 AM   #22
Rob228

I know it takes some time and paperwork.....

When I was working at Dam Neck the gate guards had 14" full stocked Mossbergs that looked just about perfect.

Tony, after you run a few hundred rounds for reliability it may not hurt to get a few different brands of buckshot and see which ones pattern the way you want at indoor ranges. Some (Hornady, Federal Flight control) will be within the size of a fist at any distance you might shoot inside of your house (even at 25 yards in a few of my guns the Federal stays amazingly tight).

Also consider your current living situation. I live in an apartment so I have #4 Buck at the ready, LESS chance (not no chance) of over penetration being an issue.
Old February 3, 2022, 04:39 PM   #23
wild cat mccane

Interestingly, the cheap Maverick barrels are thick.
Old February 4, 2022, 03:40 PM   #24
dgludwig

Like some others have opined, I have no use for a "shockwave" style stock nor what's now termed a "pistol grip" configuration. My brother likes his Model 88 but he hasn't shot it much. I think the "Fin" and/or the Sportsman's Den in Shelby still carry the Benelli Nova; a reasonably priced pump shotgun that I've got along well with.

To edit: Oops-I didn't notice that you've already decided on the Model 590, which I'm sure you'll be happy with.
Old February 5, 2022, 02:24 AM   #25
BourbonCowboy

The 590 is a great shotgun, and I think you'll be happy with it.

However, the Shockwave, when forced into use inside a home, will be a devastating weapon. That's why I own one.

With that being said, I outfitted mine with a Crimson Trace Laser Saddle and Streamlight TL-Racker forend light. With that combination, I can be relatively sure that an intruder won't grab the (extremely short) barrel while I'm searching my house. And the laser and light assures me that I won't need to shoulder the weapon to insure decent accuracy.

Most people dismiss the Shockwave as a novelty/niche weapon. It definitely is. But the niche is close-quarters, self-defense usage. It fits the bill just fine.

In a few years, I plan to retire. My wife and I are planning to tour the country in an RV. I'm sure that I'll sell off a number of my guns, but the Shockwave won't be one of them. I suspect that it'll be the perfect self-defense weapon in the RV.