The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2022, 12:43 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

Canik Rival finally coming to US

Not newly announced, but it is now coming.

Thought about the METE, but think the RIVAL will get my dollars. Interesting barrel hood and I think Canik had the front slide profile before Sig did it on the Pro. Guess we'll see on price.

https://www.canikarms.com/en/products_detail/sfx-rival
Old January 18, 2022, 01:36 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Would be nice if they said what optics fit the optic cut, especially if this is geared towards the competition scene. One of the few downsides of the Mete was the inability to use full-size optics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 18, 2022, 07:23 PM   #3
GarandTd

Looks like a cheese grater with a pistol grip.
Old January 18, 2022, 07:55 PM   #4
Shotgun Slim

Really like my SFX. Kinda makes some of the comparable Brand Name models seem very overpriced. This new Rival is what the gun should have been the first time so there's nothing to do but add it to the herd. Here's hoping the aftermarket will fall in love with this one. Trigger kits here we come!
Old January 18, 2022, 08:07 PM   #5
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
Looks like a cheese grater with a pistol grip.
Certainly in the running for the ugliest gun out there in my eyes.
Old January 18, 2022, 09:30 PM   #6
wild cat mccane

It fits the micros only.

Canik is a direct copy of the P99/PPQ slide. Unlike the Q5 that takes off the rear sight set, it keeps the rear sights. Canik made the SFX, SFX METE, and RIVAL before Walther backwardly made the PDP slide.

It's why Walther went with the horribly stupid design of the PDP. Because of your red dot lovers have to destroy everything
Old January 18, 2022, 09:36 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Canik Rival finally coming to US

Yeah functionality is a terrible thing.

Canik had previous models that used the RMR footprint, such as the TP9SFX, so no it’s not a case of you can’t mount wider dots onto the original P99/PPQ contour. Heck Walther did it as well on the Q5 and SF series. The downside was doing so lost you the rear iron sight. On a competition pistol I don’t see why that’s a problem. You’re either shooting in an optic event or not.

Old January 18, 2022, 09:57 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Wait, are you 100% sure it can’t accept larger optics? The cut on the slide would seem to suggest it could take larger optics and this video mentions 5 optic plates available as well as some plates having the rear sight built in. There aren’t 5 different optic footprints for the compact optics, at least as far as I know.

https://youtu.be/lg36IYBAK14

Old January 19, 2022, 06:43 PM   #9
GarandTd

It looks like the Rival loses its rear sight with the plate. This would suggest room for a full size optic, wouldn't it? On the Elite SC, the rear sight remains on the slide in addition to the optic, but can only accommodate the micro optics.
Old January 20, 2022, 09:17 AM   #10
wild cat mccane

Ha. No I am not 100%. The METE is set up this way and I didn't look at it. That's an improvement.

I thought not because I think the this one was actually announced before the mete series.