The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 23, 2021, 01:35 PM   #1
ghbucky

Body armor questions

I have a grandson that is an infantryman in the Army.

Educate me on body armor. Is the stuff the Army currently issues the best available? (I sort of doubt that).

What would be your recommendations for what is the most practical for someone in that position?
Old November 23, 2021, 07:11 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

I had a friend of mine, told me he took a 7.62x54R to the chest in Afghanistan. I think he said it was AP, but my memory is a bit fuzzy. The armor stopped it. Think he had some bruised ribs. Main downside of rifle armor is it is heavy. Not sure on current policies, but they may not be able to use personal armor.
Old November 25, 2021, 02:17 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
What would be your recommendations for what is the most practical for someone in that position?
what ever the Army issues.

Plus, what ever can be hidden from officers who throw fits about "unauthorized equipment".

Balanced against what the individual can actually wear/carry.

Good (and smart) officers allow a fair bit of leeway when their troops are "on the sharp end". But not all officers are good or smart. Unauthorized equipment is a violation of regulations, and when you get one of those "by the book and only by the book" types in command, it will be taken away from the troops and sometimes, they will even bring charges against the troop for having it.
Old November 26, 2021, 01:29 PM   #4
Butzbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
what ever the Army issues.

Plus, what ever can be hidden from officers who throw fits about "unauthorized equipment".

Balanced against what the individual can actually wear/carry.

Good (and smart) officers allow a fair bit of leeway when their troops are "on the sharp end". But not all officers are good or smart. Unauthorized equipment is a violation of regulations, and when you get one of those "by the book and only by the book" types in command, it will be taken away from the troops and sometimes, they will even bring charges against the troop for having it.
Yeah those darn officers. Almost as bad as those mid-divorce, alcoholic NCOs that you need to bail out on Monday morning for their weekend DWI. Body armor follows a rating system with I think IIIA being the minimum that will stop 5.56 x 45 and 7.62 x 39. In response to the comment above, I did not think that even plate armor could stop a 7.62 x 54 AP but I guess it would depend on the range. The OP may want to ask his grandson what his armor’s rating is and start from there.
Old November 26, 2021, 03:38 PM   #5
Rob228

Quote:
Yeah those darn officers. Almost as bad as those mid-divorce, alcoholic NCOs that you need to bail out on Monday morning for their weekend DWI.
Been on both sides (flat black and shiny) and neither of you are wrong....

If he is wearing non-issued body armor and sustains loss of life or limb, SOMONE in his chain of command is going to burn because whether or not what he was wearing was better than was issued; it wasn't issued and he suffered loss of life/limb.

Quote:
I did not think that even plate armor could stop a 7.62 x 54 AP but I guess it would depend on the range. The OP may want to ask his grandson what his armor’s rating is and start from there.
The newer (2015 ish I think?) plates have steel over ceramic. They aren't exactly light and will float straight to the bottom of the ocean but they'll stop AP.
Old November 26, 2021, 11:27 PM   #6
armoredman

IIIA is the highest handgun rated, III is the lowest rifle rated. III+ is a factory "rating" for III plates built up to stop 5.56mm AP M855. Level IV is the heaviest rifle plates I have seen on the market today, but armor keeps improving.
As for will they stop 7.62x54R AP? Most assuredly. From the NIJ page,
Quote:
Level IV armor has been tested to stop .30cal steel core armor piercing rifle ammunition.
Old November 27, 2021, 04:11 PM   #7
ghbucky

OK, well I guess I'll need to look elsewhere for Christmas ideas. Thanks for the feedback.
Old November 27, 2021, 05:43 PM   #8
armoredman

Is he deployed? Do you have snacks he likes that are unique to your local area that you can ship? Is he in Indian Country, or someplace with civilization that you could send gift cards for local theaters or sports bars? Favorite local high school/college team that you could find a nice team sweater/shirt he could wear out on liberty?
Just thinking out loud.