The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2019, 09:07 PM   #1
Targa

New RCBS powder dispenser

It might be on my wishlist ..https://www.rcbs.com/home?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgKY3_D_BwE
Old November 2, 2019, 11:24 PM   #2
hounddawg

At $900 bucks they are trying to compete with the Autothrow/trickler.

Personally I would spend the extra $50 on the V3 Autothrow/autotrickler with a A&D FX120i which has a linearity of plus/minus .002g and a repeatability of .001g, and uses magnetic force restoration

https://www.autotrickler.com/v3-for-ad.html

$490 for the Autothrow/trickler, $450 from Cambridge for the scale. If you really want to impress your brother in law you can jazz it up with another thousand or so in bling from Area 419.

https://www.area419.com/product-cate...t-accessories/

Me I am currently using a Lyman 55 and finger trickle. Seems to work well enough
Old November 2, 2019, 11:33 PM   #3
Targa

Good Lord!! I never did see the price on it....not a chance, I will stick with buying the Chargemaster Lite.
Old November 3, 2019, 08:11 AM   #4
hounddawg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021886082?pid=587648

List Price:
$1123.95
Our Price:
$899.00

$899.00 is the sale price. Just my opinion here but I doubt they will be flying off the shelf until they drop below $500
Old November 3, 2019, 08:56 AM   #5
ed308

At that price, go with a A&D Fx120i scale then add the Auto Throw/Trickler. Great system. Mine throws and tricklers up a charge as fast as 10 seconds. I use it in combination with a Dillon 550C with floating tool heads and manual drop the powder. Much faster than any single stage press I've owned and produces ammo just as accurate.
Old November 3, 2019, 08:44 PM   #6
pete2

I'll stick with the RCBS Uniflo and Dillon measure.
Old November 3, 2019, 10:57 PM   #7
GWS

I love RCBS products, but I'm not going to pay $1000 for a powder trickler. That's nuts IMO. Never going to happen. Not even tempted.
Old November 4, 2019, 06:48 AM   #8
higgite

Aw, c'mon, GWS. You know you want one.

Yeah, I'm pretty much an RCBS fanboy, but I'm not interested in it at that price either. They claim it's 2 or 3 times faster than a Chargemaster, but for that price I'll just start loading earlier. Now, if they made a case activated platform assembly that would set it atop a Pro 2000....... hmmmm.
Old November 4, 2019, 09:19 PM   #9
GWS

Higgite: Maybe, but what about this one?

{Edit: Please read the forum policy on posting copyrighted materials.}

$960 combo kit from CL Products: scale, auto trickler, auto thrower....all electronically connected to work together. .02 grains accuracy in 10sec throws.

Nah, too late for this old man, I don't compete at shoots anyway.

Reloading has changed, indeed!

Last edited by GWS; November 4, 2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old November 5, 2019, 03:32 PM   #10
RC20

RCBS is insane on that.

By Xmas it will be $500, by May 2020 it will be $300./
Old November 5, 2019, 07:06 PM   #11
hounddawg

if it uses magnetic force restoration for the scale the price may be justified. If it is a load cell then forget it. Being retired I have more time than money so if I can get fifty rounds per hour seated and have time for a cup of coffee while doing so then I will just continue my old school ways of throw and trickle up regardless
Old November 5, 2019, 07:42 PM   #12
StripesDude

How many people are going to spend that kind of money? How many can they expect to sell?
I assume the sponsored shooters who need this level of accuracy get complimentary equipment. So that leaves the rest of us. Is one granule of powder margin of error going to overcome other variables that non-sponsored non-professional shooters exhibit in their shooting?
Seems like overkill.
Old November 6, 2019, 09:54 AM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Hounddawg,

I know the Autotrickler uses magnetic force restoration. The maker had a table at the last NRA Annual Meeting gun show and had the internal parts from one out on their table to help them explain it. I don't know about the RCBS, but suspect it is the same. Everyone gets fed up with last decimal place drift from strain gauge and capacity load cell drift and the magnetic force restoration method cuts that way down. I have a small, 60-gram auto-calibrating analytical balance made by Torbal that uses that principle to read out to tenths of a milligram (0.00154 grains), and even those tenths drift very little. It is a way better mouse trap, for sure. But you have to pay for it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 6, 2019, 10:22 AM   #14
hounddawg

Uncle Nick I have the A&D 120 FXi and it is a great little scale. It is plenty accurate enough for me but it only reads out in even numbers for the last digit. For example if your charge is 30.03 grains the readout will fluctuate between 30.02 and 30.04 for a couple of seconds while it makes up it's mind. It is a great scale though and very fast in comparison to my backup. You can get them for around $480 from Cambridge.

However if that is beyond your budget there is a alternative that works extremely well for less than 30 dollars. I use a Gem 20 as a backup which will weigh just as precisely as the A&D. It will hang in there with the A&D measurement after measurement. I have had one for over a year now and it is the best small scale I have ever used. It's limitations are it is battery powered and the draft cover is too small. It is slower to settle than the A&D but once settled it holds steady. It also has a auto off which can be annoying if you take over a minute between weighings. You are also limited to 20 grams (308 gns) maximum for the charge and the pan. You can make a better dust cover with a plastic Clauson pickle jar or a Costco mixed nut container and a box cutter. I recommended these a year or so back over at accurate shooter and others have had similar experiences

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...scale.3985753/

It's well worth 20 or 25 dollars just to have as a backup

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-G.../dp/B00ESHDGOI
Old November 6, 2019, 02:03 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. It's got a 0.001-gram native resolution, so when it converts to grains, the most significant digit changes in steps of 0.0154…, the conversion factor. My Acculab scale does the same thing.

I got one of these on sale earlier this year (currently on sale again) to keep as a check scale on a second bench. For $25 I have been very impressed with how much more stable it is than a couple of past scales I've owned. the 1600 grain capacity is a bonus. Seems like even the capacitive load cells are getting better.
Old November 6, 2019, 03:14 PM   #16
rox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
I know the Autotrickler uses magnetic force restoration.
That's interesting. I've been using FX-120s for 8 years, and I don't think I've ever seen A&D actually claim they are genuinely force-restoration. They call it a 'Super-Hybrid' sensor. When I asked them directly if it was force-restoration the answer started with 'well...'.

They actually do drift quite significantly, if you defeat the zero-tracking. All you need to do is hold it at some significantly non-zero weight and leave it for a few hours or overnight. Just a few days ago I left an object on it for a few hours and on my return it had drifted 0.3 grains (in a stable temperature environment, and after days of warm-up). Of course, if it's sitting at or close to zero, it's a different story - it will hold that forever using zero-tracking. Both my FX-120s behave like this, but my genuine force-restoration balace doesn't.

Old November 6, 2019, 05:46 PM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. I forgot they called it a hybrid. I'm not clear what they did as the load element on display was unlike any I had seen previously. It's Japanese, so you can expect that whatever they did, it has been done about as well as it can be.

I don't expect zero drift. Even my analytical balance re-calibrates every five minutes or so until it warms up and periodically after that. The sort of drift I find annoying is when I zero the scale and within a few seconds, I see a couple or three LSDs of drift or offset or when it almost never returns to zero after weighing something.
Old November 6, 2019, 09:25 PM   #18
GWS

I doubt that the RCBS dispensor is magnetic force restoration or they'd be tooting that loudly in the advertising.....besides they are at best claiming a .04grain accuracy and only in "match mode", while A&D claims a .02grain accuracy.
Old November 7, 2019, 05:41 PM   #19
RC20

No matter what it is, Unobtanium is what they use for the frame!

I just use my Lyman 2000 as a cross check on my two dispensers, works fine.
Old November 8, 2019, 03:38 PM   #20
Jasonzee

I have some of their dies everything else is Lee.
Old November 9, 2019, 03:00 AM   #21
ed308

Lots of discussions about RCBS' new scale on the forums lately. Somebody on another forum stated they called RCBS and was told it's a strain gauge scale.
Old November 9, 2019, 03:27 PM   #22
RC20

Well paying for it would for sure be a strain.
Old November 10, 2019, 05:57 PM   #23
Unclenick
Staff

I'm still trying to gauge my reaction.
Old November 10, 2019, 06:52 PM   #24
hounddawg

with it being in the same price range as a Autothrow with A&D price while being slower and with less precision scale wise it only took me about 1 second to gauge my reaction Nick.
Old November 10, 2019, 07:03 PM   #25
GWS

Everybody knows I'm a died in the wool RCBS fan.......but with this one I have to agree....so far.

The only talking points, is the much better "footprint" and simplicity.....meaning one tool instead of 3.

I would like to hear RCBS defend the product......think I'm going to ask my RCBS Engineer friend.

About my last post.....and the only color in the whole thread:

Quote:
{Edit: Please read the forum policy on posting copyrighted materials.}

$960 combo kit from CE Products: scale, auto trickler, auto thrower....all electronically connected to work together. .02 grains accuracy in 10sec throws.

Since when is an advertisement copyrighted. I gave CL Products as the source (typo) should've been CE Products (oops)....even gave the price....and a positive review.....so you think they were against such a post......free advertising? A review without their picture isn't much of a review.....its not like I was abusing them.

Check out this: http://media.vistaoutdoor.com/pressk...Dispenser.aspx

Every picture there is for media use to push their product....Think they don't want those pictures posted everywhere they can? That's what they are for.

Who are we ..... if not media? We're not selling anything, nor stealing products.

Last edited by GWS; November 10, 2019 at 07:52 PM.