The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2019, 11:41 AM   #76
Unclenick
Staff

Powder energy content is metered more consistently by weight than by volume, but once your volume is dialed in, that may no longer be the dominant error term. Yes, the scale has a second function of determining how consistently a volume drops a charge weight, but that scale doesn't tell you anything about the packing density of the drop. That's where things can get turned around.

An example: In the 1995 Precision Shooting Reloading guide, Dan Hackett described a load that worked great when he loaded it at home, but when he loaded it at the range he got sticky bolt lift. He finally figured out the vibration of driving to the range was settling the powder and lowering its burn rate, so the fact the charge weighed the same at home and at the range didn't keep pressure and velocity the same. The bulk density had to match, too.

I think that is one reason the Federal GM308 ammunition with 168-grain MatchKing is so successful. When you pull some down you find the load is very slightly (about 0.4%) compressed. That locks their 43.5 grains of special order IMR 4064 in place and keeps them from settling to a different packing density. It's something to consider, as 4064 can pack down a lot if you let it.

Regarding the Borg comment, for those who didn't see it, here's a link to an article I already shared with RC20.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 23, 2019, 02:41 PM   #77
RC20

Unclenick" Thank you, that makes sense.

This falls under the

If you told me this cold with no gun knodlged or history at all I would say you wold be lucky to hit a 6 inch circle at 100 yards with a modern rifle.

Lets see, powder/variations, case right, barrel harmonics, a big boom, going from 0 to 3000 fps (roughly) and you say you can do WHAT?

Yank the other one.

And the really good ones shoot holes in 1 at 100 yards. Amazing.
Old April 23, 2019, 02:50 PM   #78
F. Guffey

What we need not is a way to fluff our powder or go back to driving to the range on large tires with wide white-wall.

F. Guffey
Old April 23, 2019, 04:41 PM   #79
Unclenick
Staff

There are a number of reloaders who charge their cases then set them on the lid of their vibratory tumbler long enough to settle the powder. There's always another step or process you can get involved with.
Old April 23, 2019, 06:40 PM   #80
RC20

It was so simple when I started, now? Ok, somewhere there has to be lines we don't cross. I think I am pretty much there, maybe a refinement or two but then that it!

I think the road to hell has nothing on reloading.
Old April 24, 2019, 08:39 AM   #81
F. Guffey

Quote:
There's always another step or process you can get involved with.
I have a powder measure that came with 4 drop tubes, it is the one with the small glass window and appropriately called 'the VISABLE'. As far as getting involved with claims by reloaders; there was a time I would suggest some of them start their stories with "Once upon a time". that is like Mother Goose and Brothers Grim, most of those stories start with Once upon a time because it did not happen.

I doubt he had solid rubber tires, had I been involved I would change my route to the range and if distance was a factor I would determine if driving 100 miles to the range made a difference over one that was 10 miles from my home.

F. Guffey
Old April 24, 2019, 09:57 AM   #82
Unclenick
Staff

It depends a lot on the powder. Sphericals pack very little, which is why they meter so consistently; vibration in the powder measure from operation or grain cutting doesn't affect their bulk density like it does the coarse sticks. Coarse sticks can pack a lot. If you use a drop tube you usually have it packed enough to avoid some of that issue.

You have it easy in the South. If you drove around here in the wheel-bending, axel-shearing post-winter pothole season, you would realize solid tires weren't always necessary to get a good jolt. Even the patched roads are often uneven enough to feel pretty rough. So location is a factor.