The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2019, 01:38 AM   #1
mellow_c

First time loading my own amoo... Ever! 44 magnum. Advice needed.

Hello folks.

I have never loaded a single round of ammunition on my own.

I have had one of these for years and think I might like to finally give it a try...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA5ee2Io1vo

https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-44-mag.html

The process looks pretty straight forward... I think I only need to get a good hammer, some case lube, powder, primers, and bullets. Maybe some calipers.

What I would LIKE to achieve here is to become able to load a 44 magnum case with a copper plated bullet (I just like the idea of it being cleaner than lead) so that it has the power of about a 44 special, more or less.

This kit is only for 44 magnum so I dont think it would work to load 44 special cases, correct?

If this all goes well, I might like to buy the same type of kit to reload 38 specials. (would I need to buy one specifically for 38 specials? Or would I be better off buying one to load 357 magnum, and then just load them with less powder to be closer to 38 special power? Again, I'm assuming you cant load 38 specials with a 357 kit because of sizing the case neck. I have plenty of 38 special cases, and I just want to shoot specials, not magnums, so maybe a 38 special kit specifically would be best? Where as in the case of the 44 magnum... I already have the Lee loading kit in 44 magnum, and I have plenty of 44 magnum cases and pretty much no 44 special cases, but I want to shoot rounds that have power closer to 44 specials, not 44 magnums.

Again, I have plenty of 44 magnum cases, so I'd like to be able to use them instead of 44 specials, but I dont want to be shooting magnum loads all the time. I would rather be shooting loads that were equivalent to 44 special in power, just for fun, plinking, and target shooting.

I have absolutely NO experience with this, and I would love some help with determining what bullets, powder, and primers to use to achieve a comfortable to shoot plinking load.

Information on where to buy these things at the best price would be appreciated too, since my whole reason for doing this is to hopefully be able to afford to shoot more 44's

Also, the only way I have to add powder right now is with the supplied powder scoop that is in the kit, and that is measured for 44 magnum power levels, correct?

Lets just say, if I DID want to load to 44 magnum powder levels, would I always use that same scoop, no matter what powder and bullet combo I was using? Are the only other ways to adjust the powder charge by measuring the powder with a scale, or with a smaller or larger powder scoop?

If I'm trying to load 44 magnum cases to 44 special powers, would the easiest way be to use a smaller scoop to load consistently smaller powder charges? If so, what size scoop should I use? I don't have a scale, and don't really want to buy one if I can just buy a smaller scoop.

I like the idea of using copper plated bullets because I would assume it will be easier to clean the bore than if I'm always shooting lead. Also, I like that they have a little ring around them for crimping on to, and it looks like that is a good visual to use to know that your seating the bullet at the proper depth... with the idea being that you seat the bullet deep enough so that the mouth or top of the case is almost covering the full crimp ring that is around the bullet, and then crimp the case tight to the bullet once at that depth... Then I would assume I could buy and use calipers to measure the overall length of the completed cartridge to make sure all my rounds are fairly consistent and within specifications....

Anyway, as I'm sure you all can tell, I know very little about any of this, but it seems easy enough if someone could help show me the way, so that I can purchase the right powder, primers, and bullets to achieve what I'm after.

I might like to buy enough to load 250 - 500 rounds for my first purchase of primers, powder, and bullets, all the same, mimicking a 44 special in a 44 magnum case. Maybe as much as 1000 if the price is right and I feel confident in the idea of whatever combination of components that are recommended so that I can get everything right on my first try.

Many sincere thank yous to anyone willing to help and guide me though this, my very first time reloading!
Old April 9, 2019, 05:02 AM   #2
DaleA

Well this book is a perennial favorite and I started out with it (although an earlier edition) it's "The ABC's of Reloading" and it will answer *lots* of your questions more quickly and thoroughly than I ever could.

https://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloadin...gateway&sr=8-1

Moreover it will give you a very good foundation for understanding lots of reloading procedures.

In addition to the book it would be really good if you could find someone to give you some hands on training. Sometimes Cabelas has reloading clinics.

Good luck.

Last edited by DaleA; April 9, 2019 at 05:05 AM. Reason: amazon link to the book
Old April 9, 2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Charlie98

TBH, I would just bite the bullet (figuratively...) and buy one of the reloading kits over the Lee Loader. I know we are talking about a bit more money, but you get what you pay for, and for a new loader I think adequate tools are important.

Nothing mysterious about the .44MAG/.44SPC, and it would be a reasonable cartridge to learn to load on... personally, I started with the .41MAG.

You do need to do some research and familiarize yourself with what you will be doing. Dale's suggestion to maybe find a clinic or someone you know to at least give you a cook's tour around the process is correct.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old April 9, 2019, 09:51 AM   #4
F. Guffey

Quote:
This kit is only for 44 magnum so I dont think it would work to load 44 special cases, correct?
In the beginning was the 44 Special and then came the 44 Remington Mag. Reloaders that had 44 Special dies purchased 44 Remington Mag dies for loading the new round; it was not necessary because the 44 Special can be adjusted to load 44 Remington Mag, problem even back then reloaders did not like to change their die settings. Not me, I adjust my dies ever time I use them. A few years later the manufacturers furnished a spacer; with the spacer the reloader could raise the seating die when crimping 44 Remington cases. The spacer was not necessary on the sizing die.

I used feeler gages.

F. Guffey
Old April 9, 2019, 10:10 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

The Lee Loader will do, but is really slow. Those daft scoops(calibrated in CC's, a metric unit of liquid volume, for some reason.) can vary the powder charge plus or minus a full grain, so buy a scale too.
I believe you can load both Magnum and Special with the same Lee Loader. Lee discontinued the Special only Loader.
Buy a manual and read the how to chapter(the reference chapters are a good read too.). Partial to the Lyman book myself. It's far more versatile than any bullet or powder makers book.
Lee does no load testing of any kind themselves. They use the powder maker's data.
"...mimicking a 44 Special in a 44 Magnum case..." There's no mimicking involved. You just load the Magnum case with Special data. Same as you can .357 Mag.
Old April 9, 2019, 10:23 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Unless you are very limited on room or money, I recommend going up to a single stage bench press. You will soon get tired of beating on your ammunition with a mallet.

You can load safe ammunition with dipped powder but it is not a good way to experiment. The loader will come with one dipper and a chart of suitable powders.

The Lee manual covers the Lee Loader and tabulates loads in CCs for convenience with dipper or disk measures. You can get a set of all different size dippers and cover the range fairly well.
Old April 9, 2019, 11:59 AM   #7
RC20

44 special and 44 magnum are easy to load for.

I started with the Lee Whack a Mole and hated it. Cases cracked about the 3rd reload.

I too urge a single stat press, either used or one of the kits.

And if you go that route, for Pistol because of the straight wall case, they have a seater crimp die (needed for 44 mag) - I get the 4 dies sets. It has a separate crimper.

Trying to adjust the seat and crimp is doable but a pain.

https://www.natchezss.com/lee-carbid...pl-44-mag.html

The dies fit almost all presses as threads are common, I like Lee for pistol dies. Lower cost and do the job fine.
Old April 9, 2019, 12:03 PM   #8
Crunchy Frog

Look for published load data from a reliable source. Buy a Reloading manual or see load data on the powder manufacturer’s website. Plenty of .44 Special data out there. Don’t deviate from published minimum or maximum loads.

https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Dippers.pdf is Lee’s chart showing the (approximate) charge of powder that the dippers should throw. It’s different for each powder because the densities vary. Personally I would verify the actual weight using a scale. You can get a decent digital scale for under $50.

I recommend you pick up some Trail Boss powder. It is fluffy. Which makes it easy to verify the powder level, making a double charge unlikely. Look for cowboy action load data; this wil give you an easy to handle load. That data will call for lead bullets but you can substitute a plated bullet of equal weight. Plated bullets are less expensive than jacketed and are fine for the less than full pier ammo.

Use what you have to get started. You will probably want to add a bench mounted press eventually but “run what you brung” first.
Old April 9, 2019, 12:28 PM   #9
Crunchy Frog

About where to source components: if you buy primers or powder online you pay a hazardous materials (hazmat) handling charge on top of regular shipping. Some vendors run free hazmat sales but usually there is a minimum order of $150 or so. For a small order you might do better finding a local store. No hazmat fee on bullets.

If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse in your area that is a good place to buy. Cabelas used to be good but since the merger with Bass Pro Shops the prices are up. Gander Mountain stores are also a bit high. You might find components in local gun stores; it really varies.

If you are a member of a gun club ask about group buys. My club allows members to participate in combined purchases a couple of times a year.
Old April 9, 2019, 02:39 PM   #10
RC20

Best to start out with 100 primers and bullets.

Powder you are stuck with a full 1 lb.

I don't believe it does 44 special but that is simply loading the magnum to lower powder level for less bang (again with the scoops you need the charts to see what you get in what scoop and a manual or loading reference with those powders) .
Old April 9, 2019, 04:49 PM   #11
cw308

Loading for my S&W mod .29 I bought a RCBS Carbide set of 3 44 Mag/ 44 Spl , Size and deprime , expander flare , Seat/ roll Crimp die . Tried the Special but the cylinders were a pain to clean do to the shorter case , just loaded the magnums lighter , made life easy Also only shot copper . Off the top of my head I think I used Universal Clay's , loaded special loads in the magnum .
Old April 9, 2019, 05:30 PM   #12
gwpercle

If You follow the directions in the kit exactly you will do just fine .
No directions ? Lee will gladly furnish them , go to site for download or call them.
You can branch out by buying a loading manual or two and buying a powder scale .
Getting the correct powder and the correct amount of powder in the case is most critical.
I started with a 38 special and 45 acp kits about 50 years ago. The kits load excellant ammo and dipped powder charges are very accurate and safe way to charge cases.
I still use dippers . Be careful and have fun...it's a exciting hobby.
Gary
Old April 9, 2019, 10:16 PM   #13
rg1

Buy a press and a powder scale, a good reloading manual such as Lyman's 50th Edition, along with some tools such as a caliper. I wouldn't recommend plated bullets for 44 Magnum and you won't save a lot shooting plated. I would go with jacketed bullets with a cannelure so you can crimp into the cannelure. Top 44 Magnum loads need a good roll crimp to keep the bullets from moving due to recoil.
Old April 10, 2019, 12:16 AM   #14
50 shooter

Do you know anyone else that reloads? If you do, ask them to help you out, give you some pointers, tips...

Plenty of guys here will help you out but hands on help is always better. If you have the room, try setting up a TV or monitor in your reloading area. Watch YouTube or some other video while doing the same tasks.

That's how myself and a couple friends learned, Dillon had a video on setting up their press and getting started reloading. Just another way to learn how to reload.
No time for rearranging.
Old April 10, 2019, 01:55 AM   #15
mellow_c

Thank you everyone for the input.

First things first...

I would like to start with this Lee kit, because it's simple, although slow. And because I honestly don't have the ability to set up a press (even a single stage) on a bench right now. I hope to learn more down the road and to have an area that I can dedicate to reloading, but for now, I'm perfectly content with taking a long time to meticulously load a full box of 50 rounds.

Sounds like loading 44 mag cases to 44 special specs is a good plan. I agree that it will help keep the magnum chambers cleaner too, than if I were shooting 44 special cases through them!

So does that mean that I should just use 44 special load data but in a 44 magnum case? The extra space inside the case won't matter?

I do have a book on reloading titled "Modern Reloading, Second Edition, Richard Lee". It's still wrapped in plastic, I have never opened it. Is this book a good place to start?

I can get to a Sportsman's Warehouse, maybe that's the place to go for powder and primers.

I will do more reading and research on my own. But if anyone has any recommendations for a good 44 special load for 44 magnum cases that they can share, I would love to know... What type of powder, and how much, what primers, what bullets (I still would prefer jacketed).

Sounds like using a scale would make things easier as far as being able to know how much powder I'm using exactly, now, and in the future... I thought a simple scoop would be nice for now, something for 44 specials, but maybe I should just buy a scale? However, I'd gladly spend a few bucks on a smaller scoop than what came with my Lee 44 mag kit so I can load to 44 special specs just to get by for now.

Again, this is my very first venture in to loading, and I'd like to keep it as simple as possible for now. I'm sure I will want to upgrade to single stage and progressive presses down the road once time, money, and space permit, but for now... I'm just an experienced shooter who would love to try out reloading with what I have at hand for the very first time, and again, as simply as possible.

I could always find someone to show me the ropes in person, but to be honest, I'd really like to just take this one small step at a time in the simplest manner possible. I think once the day comes when I'm ready to start reloading as an actual hobby, I'll be more inclined to seek more advice from experienced reloaders in person to see what I can draw from them as far as good practices, set ups, organization, and general ideas go. But for now, my goal is to find the right powder, the right amount, the right primers, and the right bullets, to load 44 magnum cases to 44 special levels, safely and meticulously, and that IS IT. For now...

Last edited by mellow_c; April 10, 2019 at 02:02 AM.
Old April 10, 2019, 05:32 AM   #16
Woody'sDad

Be very careful my friend-----I started with the Lee Whack-em-in system 50 + years ago and TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS later I am still afflicted.

Hello, my name is Gary and I am a reloader. This will ring true with most here-it is just the start of a long and expensive (albeit fun and rewarding) journey.

As others have responded you will get serviceable ammunition with that system but it will leave you wanting more--I think of it as an "entry level drug" to a full addiction to the shooting sports. LOL

Go slow and enjoy!

Gary
Old April 10, 2019, 01:24 PM   #17
Jim Watson

Sounds like loading 44 mag cases to 44 special specs is a good plan. I agree that it will help keep the magnum chambers cleaner too, than if I were shooting 44 special cases through them!

This is not the problem that the Internet Experts make of it. I have shot a good deal of Specials in Magnums and not run into fouling that a good scrubbing would not remove.

So does that mean that I should just use 44 special load data but in a 44 magnum case? The extra space inside the case won't matter?

You can, but the extra volume does matter. It will reduce pressure and therefore velocity. Since Lee Loader charts are on the conservative side to begin with and Lee dippers are molded with a +0 tolerance, you would have very light loads.

I do have a book on reloading titled "Modern Reloading, Second Edition, Richard Lee". It's still wrapped in plastic, I have never opened it. Is this book a good place to start?

Lee equipment + Lee book = good combination.

I can get to a Sportsman's Warehouse, maybe that's the place to go for powder and primers.

They have a good reputation.

I will do more reading and research on my own. But if anyone has any recommendations for a good 44 special load for 44 magnum cases that they can share, I would love to know... What type of powder, and how much, what primers, what bullets (I still would prefer jacketed).

I don't have the book and dipper chart to furnish a "recipe." Sorry.

Sounds like using a scale would make things easier as far as being able to know how much powder I'm using exactly, now, and in the future... I thought a simple scoop would be nice for now, something for 44 specials, but maybe I should just buy a scale? However, I'd gladly spend a few bucks on a smaller scoop than what came with my Lee 44 mag kit so I can load to 44 special specs just to get by for now.now..

The scale will put you right on, but will slow you down even more.
The full set of dippers is $15 at Amazon. You might only use two or three, though,

FIRST, OPEN THE BOOK! It is tough to learn all that you need to know one question at a time on the Internet. Open the book.
Old April 10, 2019, 01:48 PM   #18
rclark

Quote:
You will lose some velocity if using same amount of powder. For example, to duplicate the Skeeter load in .44Mag your add 1.0g (7.5g to 8.5g of Unique in .44 Magnum under 240-250g SWC) . BTW, I only shoot my .44 Special cartridges in my .44 Special revolvers, and only .44 Mag cartridges in my .44 Magnum revolvers. One nice thing about reloading is you can load 'what-ever-you-prefer' loads in a case (as long as it doesn't exceed SAAMI pressure for the cartridge). From mild to wild as we say.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 10, 2019, 01:56 PM   #19
RC20

As far as a reloading bench goes, I have used one of those fairly heavy duty fold up type benches . Perfect? No. Workable, yes. I don't know whats out there these days.

I also did my first press reloading in a VERY SMALL CLOSET in a very small camping trailer. No more than 2 feet wide opening. Beefed up a shelf and away I went (less stress with pistol rounds). Great pun with my boss when (building campgrounds at the time oddly) he asked me if I was a finish carpenter (campgrounds do not have fine finish work!). No I told him, I am a German Carpenter! - poor guy never learned puns were a family tradition.

Where there is a will there is a way. Necessity is the mother of inovativeness. While my cat would not appreciate it, theorist says there is more than one way to skin him

Damn the impediments and FULL speed ahead.

Any reloading book is a good one, some better than others maybe but they all teach the same basics.
Old April 10, 2019, 01:59 PM   #20
SIGSHR

I started with a Lee "Whack 'em In" and yes I set off several primers.
If space or budget are important considerations, I would look at the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press and one their hand priming tools.
Old April 10, 2019, 02:11 PM   #21
hagar

Couple words of advice. Buy a Lee handpress, Lee carbide dies, a digital scale, a powder measure, and forget about the whackthemin thingy.

Next, the plated bullets are a beech to crimp adequately in my 44, they will slide forward under recoil and lock your cylinder up.

I bought some 240 grain soft point jacketed bullets with cannelure from some outfit in NC for 12 cents each, they work great.

Next, both an overcharge or undercharge is hazardous to your health. For light loads, try 13 grains of Blue Dot.
Old April 10, 2019, 02:14 PM   #22
Dufus

I don't have a 2nd edition, but I do have the 4th edition and it has a column that lists which Lee dipper to use for the different powders and charges.

I started with the Lee Loader (now called the Lee Classic, I think) back in April, 1963.

I loaded rifle, handgun, and shotgun with them. Back then, the kit was $9.95.

Follow instructions that came with the loading kit and you should do well.
Old April 11, 2019, 03:36 PM   #23
mellow_c

*sigh*

I’ve got a few more questions (for now )

I AM going to use this Wack em in kit eventually... BUT, down the road when space permits, I would like to start up more seriously with a single stage press. What would be the best complete single stage press and general loading kit I could buy to keep for the rest of my life? Something I could use to load everything from handgun cartridges all the way up to 50 bmg...?

I know there are lots of starter kits from lots of companies. I also know that not all of them come with everything you would ever need, and some of them come with most of it, but some of it might not be very good, for example, maybe the kit comes with a powder measurer, but not a very good one, so one might end up buying a better one to replace it. So is there a good complete kit that comes with most if not everything you need and with the best stuff so there is no need to upgrade?

How about priming? For now, I guess the wack em in kit would be fine, as long as I’m wearing safety glasses ;-) but a squeeze type hand priming tool might be easier and faster and not a lot of money. If I start loading on a press one day is it better or faster to use the press to prime the cases? Or would I be better off continuing to use the hand priming tool?

What is included in a complete kit to use to seat primers? The press, or a hand priming tool?

As far as measuring powder goes... a little scoop set off amazon for $15 sounds tempting. Maybe using the scoop and then pouring the powder on to a scale to check the weight and then use something like tweezers to add or remove powder for consistent loads?
But there are powder measures that you can set to dispense a pre set amount of powder too right? But then do you still have to check the weight of each powder charge to verify consistency?

How much of this stuff would be included in a single stage starter kit?

Maybe if I could get ahold of an adequate single stage starter kit, I could use the extra stuff it comes with to aid me in reloading with the wack em in kit until I’m ready to actually set up a bench and mount the press.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and comments so far.
Old April 11, 2019, 08:43 PM   #24
Targa

I also just started reloading for .44mag, .454Casull. I have the Lee Classic Turret press that I do everything on...decamp, prime, charge etc.. I use the Lee Auto Drum that dispenses my powder accurately but does tend to leak with the finer H110 powder I am using.
I run about 5 charges into a prepped case and then weigh the charges on my beam scale and electronic scale, once I am happy I begin loading and checking every tenth or so charge on one of the scales, usually the electronic scale once I know it is reading the same as my beam scale.
Old April 11, 2019, 09:36 PM   #25
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow c
I would like to start with this Lee kit, because it's simple, although slow. And because I honestly don't have the ability to set up a press (even a single stage) on a bench right now. I hope to learn more down the road and to have an area that I can dedicate to reloading, but for now, I'm perfectly content with taking a long time to meticulously load a full box of 50 rounds.
It's easy to say that you'll be content with taking a long time to load 50 rounds, but that will last about ten rounds. That Lee Loader kit will allow you to make shootable ammunition ... but not in shootable quantities. You will grow tired of it very quickly.

You can mount any press to an 18" or 24" length of 2x10 and use C-clamps to attach it to a bench or table for loading and then put it away when done. But, if you absolutely can't do even that, I'll strongly suggest that you consider Lee's hand press. It uses regular reloading dies and will allow you to produce ammunition faster and with more consistency than the Lee Loader kit allows.

https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html

You should be able to find the Lee hand press through retailers such as Natchez or Titan Reloading for quite a bit less than what Lee sells it for directly. Lee doesn't undercut their dealers.

As for single stage kits -- I'd say skip it. Get a Lee turret press kit. You can run it as a single stage, then when you're more comfortable you engage the auto advance and run it as a turret press to speed up the rate of production. This kit has most of what you need to get started (except dies, which are caliber specific, of course): it has a serviceable beam balance, a powder dispenser, and a couple of other accessories. I would add a Lee Autoprime hand priming tool to round out the kit.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...rret-press-kit

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; April 11, 2019 at 09:44 PM.