The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2016, 01:51 PM   #1
Wendyj

Reloading 45 colt

I've been reloading 357 and 9 mm in handgun and several in rifle. Shot husbands 45 long colt today and honestly thought recoil would be bad but can't tell much difference than the 357 vaquero. Heavier shove than a snap. I'd like to start reloading this with Nosler sportsman bullets. Only handgun powder I have is hp38 and Titegroup. Am looking for dies and am wondering if I should buy rcbs or Lee. I use rcbs on 9 mm and Lee on 357. My only concern is which one will get me a good crimp and best overall oal. Lee fails me sometimes with that. I like there crimp die but would like to eliminate one more step if possible. I'm doing these on a Lee classic cast single stage. Also wondering in the New Vaquero if I can beef the loads up to Ruger only loads.
Old October 12, 2016, 02:23 PM   #2
AVirginian

My Sierra, Lyman and Hornady manuals don't list either of those powders for 45 Colt. Steve's webpage does list both.

I would call Ruger and ask the difference in a Vaquero cylinder and a New Model Blackhawk as the manual only mentions the New Model Blackhawks.

Hope that helps, I am sure others will be alone with more ideas.

As far as dies are concerned, used the Lee dies for years and had good success with them I now use Hornady's dies as the Lee's were too short in my press. I do like the Hornady lock rings over all others and I have tried many.
Old October 12, 2016, 02:25 PM   #3
ligonierbill

New Vaquero = no Ruger only. What bullet weight? I like Unique for standard loads. I have HP-38, but I don't use it for .45 Colt. Forgot why. No experience with Titegroup.

Good luck with both brands of dies, but I use RCBS for this round.
Old October 12, 2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Wendyj

I'm going to use 250 grain Nosler bullets in it. Nosler manual shows Titegroup and 231 for powder among others. My 357 has done better accuracy wise with Titegroup. I think win 231 and hp38 are the same but not willing to risk my life on it. Hp38 shoots great for me but soots up barrels pretty bad. Both meter real good. Got to get some dies, brass and bullets.
Old October 12, 2016, 03:50 PM   #5
1100 tac

New Vaquero=no Ruger only loads, 231/hp38=same powder, will work well in .45 Colt.

http://rugerforum.net/reloading/

Go on over here, you will find LOTS of information about loading your Ruger!

I load tons of .45 Colt from mild to wild!
Old October 12, 2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Minorcan

latest Lee manual lists starting loads for 250 grain Hp38 is 5.8 grains and max load as 7.1 grains.

Tightgroup starting as 5.0 grains and max as 6.2 grains. I would confirm data before loading. There ya go , my lawyer escape hatch is closed ... LOL

I use Lee dies with a Lee factory crimp, works fine for me.
Old October 12, 2016, 06:06 PM   #7
hodaka

8 grains of Unique has been something of a standard for a long time for a 255 lead bullet. 231 is the same as HP-38. I have not used any but there are a number of references and I'm sure it would work. Most of my pistol dies are Lee. I shoot a good bit of .45 LC.
Old October 12, 2016, 09:56 PM   #8
MosinM39

For years I ran 8 gr Unique with a 255 gr LSWC Keith style bullet, or the earlier designed 250 gr flat point lead bullet. This also worked well with Hornady's old 250 gr JHP which was my favorite bullet, now they sell the XTP.

Then I started using 7 gr of W 231 in the 250 gr lead bullets with excellent accuracy. 7 gr is always near max for almost any bullet I used, so if you go there work up and be cautious. Nosler's on line load data for their .45 Colt 250 JHP bullet shows max load 6.9 gr for 231 and 6.7 for HP-38. If I load more .45 Colt in future, it will be with W231 or Unique.
Old October 13, 2016, 01:28 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Am looking for dies and am wondering if I should buy rcbs or Lee.
spend the extra cash, get RCBS Carbide sizer set. I've been using one for decades, and think it worth it.

Quote:
Also wondering in the New Vaquero if I can beef the loads up to Ruger only loads.
NO!!! Not in that gun, despite it being a Ruger. Back in the day when "Ruger Only" loads were developed by handloaders, there was only ONE Ruger in .45 Colt, the Blackhawk, and the heavy loads were possible because the Blackhawk was built on the .44 mag frame.

The New Vaquero is a smaller gun, with a smaller frame, it is the same approximate size as the classic Colt SAA, and is suited for the same level of ammo as the Colt.

In the New Vaquero .45 Colt, careful handloading can get a 250gr slug up in the 1000fps range, at max, depending on barrel length.

See if you can get some Unique powder. Good performer in the .45 Colt case, and bulky enough a double charge is easy to spot.
Old October 13, 2016, 08:07 AM   #10
Sarge

I use HP38 and Winchester 231 interchangeably in handgun cartridges. Either are great in the 45 Colt.

7.1 grains of either under a 250-255 grain lead RNFP produces a fine factory duplication load that has shot well in all the 45 Colts I've used it in. I am unfamiliar with the Nosler bullets you mentioned.
Old October 13, 2016, 10:28 AM   #11
Wendyj

I bought some on sale from Midway once and they mushroomed great and had better penetration in my 357 vaquero than any bullet I have used to date. We ride horses in black bear country so like a good bullet.
Just don't seem right on the back of a horse with a glock or sig. Lol
Old October 13, 2016, 11:33 AM   #12
JeepHammer

Finally! Someone that didnt write ".45 LONG Colt".
(Tip of the hat!)
Old October 13, 2016, 11:55 AM   #13
Longshot4

When I am looking for a powder for a new round I always look for one with lower chamber pressure or (CUP). It is easier on you and the weapon. I'm sure one of the powders that were mentioned will work great. Especially if you use the one with less CUP. All though you might want to try a couple powders since accuracy is a must. Sight in with your arms on a rest for best realistic accuracy. The rest comes with practice.
Old October 13, 2016, 06:28 PM   #14
Pathfinder45

I currently load 6.2 grains of Titegroup under 255 grain cast bullets for my original Vaquero for a chronographed 840 fps out of its 4-5/8" barrel. It is one of the most accurate loads of all. Winchester 231 is also an excellent powder for similar performance. I agree that the New Vaquero should not be hot-rodded. However, it can get a substantial performance within safe pressure limits, but not with those powders. You can get a little more velocity with Unique, which is one of the best all-around powders for the 45 Colt. But to really get the most velocity safely, you will need some slower burning powder. For that I would suggest AA-7, AA-9, 2400, and IMR4227. Avoid W-296 and H-110, as those powders are only suitable in high-pressure loads that are beyond the limitations of the New Vaquero. I use the RCBS carbide die set. The only Lee dies that I have are their, "Factory Crimp Dies", which I find useful. Good luck and be safe.
Old October 13, 2016, 07:25 PM   #15
Sarge

I've had real good luck with HS6 in that 'middle-warm' zone of the 45 Colt, Pathfinder.
Old October 13, 2016, 08:41 PM   #16
Pathfinder45

Sarge, I haven't tried HS-6, but I know that it is one of the powders Linebaugh uses. The closest powder to that, one of my favorites, is HS-7. They don't make it anymore, but thankfully, I'm not out of it. I use it as my standard load for wilderness ammo, driving home-cast, 255 grain bullets at 1,075 fps, with nice groups at 25 yards.
Old October 13, 2016, 10:16 PM   #17
mmb713

I started loading 45 Colt with RCBS carbide dies. I did add a Lee FCP to crimp though. Much easier to adjust the level of crimp with that die when switching from plated to jacketed bullets and it does give a very good roll crimp. Also no need to remove the seating stem every time to crimp in a separate step. Over the years I've added the Lyman M die for expanding and a Redding competition seating die. I now use a mixed four die set, RCBS to resize, Lyman to expand, Redding to seat, and Lee to crimp.

All of my 45 Colt loads have been loaded in Starline brass that I bought when I got my Blackhawk. I have never fired factory 45 Colt ammo. Every round through my Blackhawk and my Redhawk have been my handloads in Starline brass.

As has been posted the New Vaquero in 45 Colt cannot handle the "Ruger-only" 45 Colt loads. Neither can the 45 Colt flattop Blackhawk. They both use the smaller 357 frame. My 44 frame Blackhawk handles them just fine and my Redhawk screams for even more. My wrists and elbows prefer the milder stuff though.
Old October 14, 2016, 03:05 AM   #18
HiBC

You have picked a good path,go ahead with it.I don't intend to distract or derail you.
In my experience,the 45 Colt works really well with cast bullets.There is a little to learn but not too much.
Actually,on something like a black bear,they would be one of my first choices because,cast medium hard,they penetrate.
I have shot hundreds of pounds of then through a 44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk with great results.
I like the Keith type semi-wadcutters. We used wheel weights for alloy.Thats harder than pure lead,and a common hardness for cast bullets.
I had a two cavity mold that was made for gas checks.It was about 245 gr.Gas checks are fine if you need them,but I decided I did not need them.They are a PITA .So I removed that feature.They shoot fine with max H-110 loads.No leading.
(NOT recommending H-110.Just saying the bullets work with hot 44 mag loads)

Key is getting the right diameter bullets.Generally,the size of your cylinder throats is right.You want them to load easy,not tight,but no extra clearance for gas to leak around.That causes problems.

There are a number of outfits that sell a box of 500 lubed bullets considerably cheaper than you can buy jacketed.

Hard cast Keith bullets in a big bore handgun is a natural.

Last edited by HiBC; October 14, 2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old October 14, 2016, 12:15 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

My standard load in .45 Colt is a 250gr hard cast SWC over 10.0gr Unique. I have been using this load almost exclusively for decades. Works real well for me.

It is a max level load for a Colt SAA, so it would also be a top end load for the smaller Ruger (NEW VAQUERO). The big Rugers (New model BLACKHAWK and the VAQUERO) eat it up and say "is that all you got??"

This load clocks just a few fps under 1100 from my 7.5" Blackhawk, while the recoil is stout, it's much more pleasant to shoot than heavier loads, and has all the power I've ever needed.

Accurate in my guns, probably will do well in yours, but every gun is an individual in that regard. I've been shooting that load for over 30 years, and in my heyday, had no trouble ringing the 200yd gong on the rifle range, OFFHAND, one handed. Practice does matter, of course.
Old October 14, 2016, 02:06 PM   #20
ligonierbill

Yeah, after busting my knuckles and rubbing some feeling back in my palm after a few nuclear shots, I've started using 9.6 Unique under a 255 Missouri Bullets "Keith". Averages 1,068 out of my 7 1/2" Blackhawk with 7.5 Std.
Old October 14, 2016, 07:09 PM   #21
black mamba

Herco is a great powder for 45 Colt, similar to Unique, but slightly slower (right around 10% slower in 45 Colt loads). I've had very good accuracy with cast, coated and jacketed bullets in three different revolvers. It is also a little less expensive than Unique, and much easier to find as well.
Old October 14, 2016, 07:41 PM   #22
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepHammer:

Finally! Someone that didnt write ".45 LONG Colt".
(Tip of the hat!)
oh....but the OP did.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wendyj:

I've been reloading 357 and 9 mm in handgun and several in rifle. Shot husbands 45 long colt today
We still knew what the OP was talkin' about, regardless.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wendyj:

I think win 231 and hp38 are the same but not willing to risk my life on it.
....you can risk your life on it. Hodgdon tells us they are the same.

Spend the little bit extra and get the RCBS dies.

Nosler claims W231 gives the best accuracy of the powders tested. They also give a different recipe for HP 38. They show the max load of W231 gave the best accuracy, while with HP 38, their best accuracy came at min. A 20% difference in powder charge. Things that make you go Hmmmm. I would give Unique a try first.
Old October 14, 2016, 09:39 PM   #23
Pathfinder45

Sometimes you have to work with the powders you've got, if at all practical. The two powders Wendyj mentioned, are both excellent for mild loads in the 45 Colt. That being said, there are some powders that every 45 Colt reloader ought to have. I put Unique at or near the top of that list. Another powder I think every 45 Colt shooter ought to try is the powder it started with, real fffg Black Powder. It will launch 255 grain cast bullets right near 1,000 fps if you do it right. It's the original magnum revolver cartridge.
Old October 14, 2016, 11:49 PM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
real fffg Black Powder. It will launch 255 grain cast bullets right near 1,000 fps if you do it right. It's the original magnum revolver cartridge.
You can't get the original 40 gr charge of black powder in modern solid head cases. There just isn't room, and you wind up a couple grains short, at least. There are balloon head cases being made again, for the cowboy shooting crowd, and with them, you can duplicate the original load/

Just be VERY sure to keep balloon head brass separate from solid head brass in your loadings, or you could have some problems, including serious ones, if you accidently put a heavy smokeless powder load in a balloon head case.
Old October 15, 2016, 01:37 AM   #25
Pathfinder45

Well, 44AMP, who is making the new balloon-head cases? I sent my last ones off to another member to experiment with 4 years ago. I could use some more.