The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 5, 2012, 11:16 PM   #151
DaveMN

Grouse hunting in northern Minnesota. I walked way off the main road on a trail that ended and kept going because hunting was good. About 5 miles into my walk I saw something weird next to a down tree in the root ball. It was oddly shaped compared to everything else around it. I walked over and kicked it. Turned out to be 1/2 of a Human skull.

Of course I was sorta of freaking out thinking I found Jimmy Hoffa. A long walk back and a long walk back out there the next day with 7 police and 3 game wardens. Once we got there they started an investigation. I didn't notice the first time I looked at it but it had a bullet hole on the right side above the eye.
They found only a few more of the bones. Well about 3 months goes by and I finally got a call from the PD. They determined that the skull was more than 100 years old and closed the case as archeological.

Kinda freaky someone shot and just left there all those years.
Old April 7, 2012, 11:23 AM   #152
Prof Young

Trapped swan

I was fishing in a small cluster of ponds that had marsh between them and found a swan that was literally encased in a net bag. Not sure how it could have happened but it's head and neck were poked through and the rest of its body was surrounded by the net including its feet. It was floating on the surface like a ball. I cut it loose and it didn't try to bite me once. Next day it was gone.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old April 10, 2012, 12:31 PM   #153
goldbill

Strange sightings in the woods

While returning to my truck during deer season a Mt lion was stalking my incoming trail. I had to wait for him to take a few steps to get a flatter shooting angle. He never lifted his nose off the ground. I shot him at 25 paces, and I have little short legs.Used a 325 WSM, 220 Gr.,it fell over flat dead.Wt. 125 lbs. on an empty gut.
goldbill.
Old April 10, 2012, 01:19 PM   #154
hornetguy

I was hunting deer in west Texas, and was sitting on the edge of a stock tank, waiting for sundown, when a flock of geese flew over. I was enjoying watching them cross at about 40 or 50yds up, when all of a sudden I discovered that they all apparently decided that stock tank was a good spot to relieve themselves. It was a veritable sh**-storm. All I could do was hunker down, covering my head with my arms and wait it out.
My only "injury" was a splatter on my gunstock.
Old April 12, 2012, 02:00 PM   #155
TX Hunter

One Spring I was Turkey Hunting in the Moore Plantation Wildlife unit in Sabine County Texas, I was sitting next to a Pine Tree and Saw a Doe Deer chasing a big Bob Cat. I figure she must have had a fawn near by and was protecting it. It was a strange thing to see indeed.