The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2009, 06:18 AM   #51
dcobler

Quote:
You see a vehicle hit deer and wait around for the cop to show up and kill it so you can snag his brass.
Okay, I think I woke the kiddo up I burst out so loud on this one.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:19 AM   #52
dcobler

You know you are a reloading addict - when .... you take wolf ammo to the range just to have the chance to pick up everyone elses brass
(yes, this directly violates post #38)
(no, I don't even have all the components required to reload yet, but I do have brass for each caliber I own, and a few that I dont)
Old April 29, 2009, 11:04 AM   #53
E.J.W.

You know you're a reloading addict when.......

Your range bag weighs more on the trip home than it did on the way to the range.

The wife keeps finding empty brass at the bottom of the clothes washer instead of coins.

You have the mindset that no piece of brass cannot be reloaded. No matter how long it's been laying there in the dirt.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:05 PM   #54
Lunicy

"Your range bag weighs more on the trip home than it did on the way to the range.

The wife keeps finding empty brass at the bottom of the clothes washer instead of coins.

You have the mindset that no piece of brass cannot be reloaded. No matter how long it's been laying there in the dirt."

Oh my god, you pegged me.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:52 PM   #55
FrankenMauser

Quote:
You have the mindset that no piece of brass cannot be reloaded. No matter how long it's been laying there in the dirt."
When your family understands the notes in your reloading data of "summer brass" and "winter brass".

(Summer brass being the typical specimen. Winter brass being the 15-years-in-the-sun, tarnished stuff; called winter brass because you don't care if it vanishes in the snow, but the dark color helps it stand out to be recovered.)
Old April 29, 2009, 07:16 PM   #56
Whisper 300

....when you have collected well over 1000 rounds of 308 that the police SWAT team left on the range knowing that you did not YET own a 308(now have 3).

....when you cannot pass on a good price on any component regardless of how much you have in the reloading room. My 20,000 primers however makes me feel pretty good right about now. No I have not hoarded in this period of scarcity- they have been with me for over a year now, hence, the addiction not a hoarder.
Old April 29, 2009, 07:59 PM   #57
Samdweezel05

Did someone say gladwear?

Phil
Old April 29, 2009, 08:56 PM   #58
jfrey

You know you are a reloading addict when: You get Christmas cards from Midway, Cabelas, Berry's, DillonPrecision and your favorite local gun dealer.

You're an addict when your kids learn math by counting bullets, powder grains and the number of primers you have left in your for your next reloading session.

You're an addict when the only math problem your kids can solve is how many loads in each caliber you can get out of a pound of powder.
Old April 29, 2009, 09:53 PM   #59
teeroux

You roll a burn barrel away from the awning for burning at the range and hear brass tumbling around at the bottom with old rotten food on top and dive in anyway.
Old April 30, 2009, 07:43 AM   #60
Xwrench3

you know youre a reloading addict when.... the first thing you do when you get to your shooting spot is hunt for brass.

....you save all of your cracked /destroyed brass, and actually contemplate melting it down and trying to make new cases from it. (to much machinery needed)

....you slam on the brakes, and cross a busy highway to retrive the wheel weight you saw laying on the road.

.....you think to yourself about buying a small lathe to cut your own solid copper bullets.

....you wonder if the military sells off 55 gallon drums of old pwder.

....your electric bill has doubled since you started casting your own bullets.

....your kids beg to "help" you reload just so they can get some one on one time with you.

....you wonder if there is an atf regulation on ordering 100,000 primers at one time.
Old May 1, 2009, 08:11 PM   #61
HAMMER1DOWN

OH NO!!!!
I've been found out time to make a run fer canada
Old May 1, 2009, 08:43 PM   #62
grymster2007

When, without even referring to the spreadsheet, you know you have 2371 fully loaded 45 Colt, 1986 9mm, 749 44 special... 1417 de-primed 38 special, 1125 tumbled 38 special...... 5416 large pistol primers, only 3423 small pistol primers.... 9516 grains of Trail Boss..... 7 hopelessly deformed 255 gr 45 LRNFP, three you think you can file back into shape and one pretty good looking 25 auto case for which you're seriously considering buying a matching gun.
Old May 1, 2009, 08:46 PM   #63
Dingoboyx

You are a sick puppy, Grim

That must be why I think you are so cool
Old May 1, 2009, 08:57 PM   #64
bigautomatic

Let me know when you guys are ready to get serious.

I named my first born child..........Varget! (sshhh. this is a sore spot with the wife).
Old May 1, 2009, 09:00 PM   #65
grymster2007

When you happily laugh off the water-cooler whispers about your 20 inch right bicep and 11 inch left one.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:02 PM   #66
grymster2007

Quote:
I named my first born child..........Varget!
You spelled her name wrong? Vargent, dude! Your daughter's name is Vargent!
Old May 1, 2009, 10:03 PM   #67
Apache6

A little OT, but my buddy named his first son Briley. He is commonly referred to as "choke tube"!
Old May 2, 2009, 02:58 PM   #68
Cult .44

... when you give pet names to your favorite loads.

... when firing factory ammo is kinda ho hum.
Old May 2, 2009, 03:22 PM   #69
Crosshair

You stopped buying scrap wheel weights for a few months and caused a local crash in the value of scrap lead.

The FAA declares the airspace around your home a "No fly Zone" because of the dangerous updrafts your smelter produces.
Old May 2, 2009, 03:32 PM   #70
madmo44mag

You know you are a reloading "mad scientist" when your already 3 grains over max but the pressure signs are not bad enough yet and the brass still ejects so can I get another grain in there?

You know your an addict when the cases are so badly bulged that they won't fit up inside the re-sizing die so you heat them till they are almost red and drop them in cold water to shrink them back down to go through the die.
Old May 2, 2009, 08:50 PM   #71
Crosshair

Quote:
You know your an addict when the cases are so badly bulged that they won't fit up inside the re-sizing die so you heat them till they are almost red and drop them in cold water to shrink them back down to go through the die.
You know you're a reloading addict when you know that won't work and may very well result in catastrophic case failure due to annealing of the case head.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:39 PM   #72
Whitworth

You know you're a reloading addict. . .

when they foreclose on your house, and you have to find a place to store the half a ton of reloading components.

...when you studied, daily, the price of copper, lead, zinc, and tin on the commodities market.

...you're the only shooter at the range, as you had some spare ammunition you reloaded twenty years ago.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:40 PM   #73
tmd47762

When you keep all of the Berdan primed Wolf cases, just on the off chance that one day you're reloading supply store will have Berdan primers.

When you take up bicycling as a hobby and always ride through the part of town where all the tire shops are. (I've found that 90% of the bad wheel weights come off within about 200m of the shop).

When you buy a box of loaded ammunition just because that size brass is on backorder at your favorite suppliers...

When you pick up the defective and also fired bullets from the dirt downrange because if nothing else, you could load that into a shotgun shell somehow...
Old May 5, 2009, 01:02 PM   #74
Crosshair

Quote:
When you take up bicycling as a hobby and always ride through the part of town where all the tire shops are. (I've found that 90% of the bad wheel weights come off within about 200m of the shop)
Writes that down, looks up the locations of all the tire shops in town.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:02 AM   #75
woolleyworm

great thread

When the other guys from work head to the gym for 20 reps at 200 lbs and you rush home to get 500 reps at 230 grs !