The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 24, 2008, 12:28 AM   #1
20nickels

Okay don't laugh yet, suppressed shotgun

So I saw the movie "No Country for Old Men" and a main character uses an autoloading shotgun with a enormous can on it shooting buckshot throughout the movie. Now I know it's been tried, but please remind me that there is no friggin' way this works, or works well at least.
Old March 24, 2008, 12:45 AM   #2
rkba_net

It can and is being done... and they are quite common in Europe.
Old March 24, 2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Rant Casey

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8j5P0LXemAA
Old March 24, 2008, 02:23 PM   #4
YukonKid

I think it would be really cool to do it, but i don't know if it is possible or not.

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old March 24, 2008, 03:57 PM   #5
SDC

Yes, definitely possible, and available; I've fired a Hushpower single-shot, and it was an interesting experience; the expansion chamber ran basically the whole length of the barrel, so there were 1/4" ports the whole way, with threaded discs for mounting the outer tube welded onto the barrel (you could unscrew the outer tube for cleaning/maintenance). There were a couple of odd things about this set-up; one, it had a weird sort of "thump-riiiinnnnng" sound when it was fired, because the outer tube acted like a bell when the pressure hit it. Two, there was enough residual pressure inside the expansion chamber that it tried to fold the pie-crimp on the shells back in, at least 3/4s of the way.
Old March 24, 2008, 04:41 PM   #6
20nickels

I stand corrected. The one in the movie was short and stubby, like a Family size can of soup or a coffee mug only taller. The barrel was cut off at the magazine. He didn't mention if he had the proper permits........
Old March 24, 2008, 08:22 PM   #7
douglasschuckert

It Is Possible.

How the shotgun suppressors work is by extending/porting or porting the existing barrel, and attaching a reflex-type suppressor to the end. Basically the baffels are placed OVER the ports as to keep the buck/bird shot out of them and to allow the use of chokes. They work, but they are not the most effective out there. Most people dont even bother. No Country For Old Men, the fact he's using is suppressor is a reality, the sound it made is BOGUS.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old March 25, 2008, 12:59 PM   #8
20nickels

Just a thought, maybe they would be more effective with a slug? or is it the suppressor design itself?
Old March 25, 2008, 02:31 PM   #9
SDC

They tend to be fairly effective "as-is", as a shotgun is a lower-pressure firearm to begin with, and the wad does a good job of eliminating any "blow-by". They could be more effective with a multi-chamber design, but they're already fairly large and heavy as it is.
Old March 28, 2008, 09:47 PM   #10
.351winchester

Cool, never thought it was possible other than that single giant flechette in a sabot load I read about somewhere.
All I could think about while watching that movie.
Old March 29, 2008, 02:11 AM   #11
Maser

Umm wasn't the shotgun used in the movie really a "bolt gun" that's used to kill cattle for slaughter?
Old March 29, 2008, 07:14 AM   #12
SDC

No, the "bolt gun" was operated by compressed air; he also used a pump-action shotgun (looked like a Mossberg to me, but you never get a really good look at it) fitted with a large-diameter suppressor that has too little volume to be really effective, as well as a Tec-9.
Old March 30, 2008, 06:57 PM   #13
Maser

http://imdb.com/title/tt0477348/trivia

Quote:
The weapon used by Anton Chigurh is a captive bolt pistol. It is most widely used in the slaughter of cattle to stun the animals before they are butchered.
Old March 30, 2008, 07:33 PM   #14
SDC

Quote:
The weapon used by Anton Chigurh is a captive bolt pistol. It is most widely used in the slaughter of cattle to stun the animals before they are butchered.
It's a "pistol" only in the sense that it uses an expanding gas to propel a projectile; however, that "projectile" is permanently attached to the firing device, as it only has to throw the bolt 3/4" forward to do what it has to do (stun an animal or fracture its skull, so it can be slaughtered). The version shown in NCFOM operates off of compressed gas (which is why whenever you see Chigurh using it, he's also carrying a tank of compressed gas), but other versions of these sorts of "bolt guns" have been made that work using gunpowder cartridges, like ramsets or power hammers. Some have also been made that fired ordinary small arms ammunition, but these will usually have a muzzle attachment that allows the user to press the gun against the animal's head without it slipping off. Chigurh also uses this device several times to knock locks through doors

The silenced shotgun he uses is a completely different item, as seen below:

Old April 3, 2008, 10:06 PM   #15
20nickels

Who cuts his hair, Prince Valiant? He looks like an Oompa Loompa!
Old April 3, 2008, 10:10 PM   #16
oneSoneK

Quote:
Who cuts his hair, Prince Valiant? He looks like an Oompa Loompa!
I saw the movie.... bet you wont tell him that!
Old April 3, 2008, 10:28 PM   #17
20nickels

I think he has a little "Chigurh" in his gas tank.
Old April 3, 2008, 10:32 PM   #18
oneSoneK

Just remember when he asks where you live....DONT TELL!! And please call the coin!
Old April 19, 2008, 08:16 AM   #19
lon371

I am curious, how he shot any shotgun rounds thru that little hole? Oh yeah its a MOVIE.
Old April 19, 2008, 09:13 AM   #20
Nortonics

Ever actually seen & listened to one of these:

The Quiet Shotgun

Some guys shoot these things in Sporting Clays at my local club. The first time I witnessed this I thought they were joking around - not. The sound is so light it's incredible - as stated, it sounds more like a pellet gun...
Old April 19, 2008, 10:27 AM   #21
douglasschuckert

Good GOD!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING??? A Martian Anal Probe??? A "Quiet Shotun".. and the guy's wasted the few grand it takes and applied for a Patent? WOW!!!

I would be afraid to take that thing hunting... I'd get a laughed at.. How in bloody hell does he transport it? It wont fit in a truck cab nor in most cars.. the friggin think is too long... I hope it breaks down...

pointless...just pointless.....

BTW The air-ram device used in the movie, is not considered a pistol nor is it regulated by any other authority than possibly the Food and Drug Administration or the Department of Agriculture... maybe...

Its a pneumatic hammer... thats it... nothing more to it than that.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old April 19, 2008, 03:28 PM   #22
SDC

Quote:
I am curious, how he shot any shotgun rounds thru that little hole? Oh yeah its a MOVIE.
It works exactly the same way that shotgun shells are fired through that "little hole" at the muzzle of a shotgun; the pellets are pushed and contained by a wad or shot-cup, and they don't start to spread out until after they leave the muzzle (or, in this case, the suppressor). If you look at the picture, you'll notice that the "little hole" in the centre of the suppressor is about the same size as the end of his thumb, the same way it is when you look at an ordinary shotgun.
Hastings shotgun barrels also makes or made an extension similar to that Diller fellow's barrel; with these, the entire barrel acts as an expansion chamber, so that by the time the wad gets to the end of the barrel, you don't have any more high-pressure gas to cool down or route through a suppressor.
Old May 2, 2008, 01:55 PM   #23
20nickels

I've seen these extensions. Cabela's carries them, or used to. $100 from memory.
Old May 4, 2008, 12:39 PM   #24
Bogie

Not all shotguns are 12 gauges...

A 20 or 28 cut down could be highly effective, without beating the shooter to pieces at the same time.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old May 6, 2008, 07:58 PM   #25
jackel

Suppressed shotgun

Here is some pictures you might enjoy
-Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SuppressorX2.jpg (45.7 KB, 1213 views)
File Type: jpg image_preview.jpg (42.6 KB, 1052 views)
File Type: jpg i.jpg (45.0 KB, 944 views)