The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 31, 2013, 09:17 AM   #1
WadCutter1

Which Savage to "Build" Off Of?

Starting a new job and will be living in an apartment, so I'll have some time at night to tinker with some toys. I'm looking at getting a 7mmRM for pretty much just target shooting under 500yds till I get better. Practiced a lot with my 22-250 out to 350 yards, and feel that to keep things interesting I'd like to get a 7mm. I hunt with a 7mm BAR and love the cartridge.

I'm looking at the Savage line up only. Have 2 of them already, and really enjoy them. If I could get a cheap rifle like the 111 and upgrade the stock to a boyds, better glass, and a bipod I think I'd be set. OR...can I get a cheap Stevens in 7mm and put an accutrigger and boyds stock on it for less money? Some day I would also like to put on a longer barrel as well with a brake as well.

All comments/snide remarks welcome
Old May 31, 2013, 09:29 AM   #2
tobnpr

Hit up your local LGS or pawn shop, even GB if you can find a "deal" for any long action Savage or Stevens.

As long as the action and bolt are in good shape, the worst the rest (stock, barrel) looks, the better...price wise for you.

Even if the ones you see are good condition, sell off the barrel, maybe even the stock for a few bucks.

Then pick up the aftermarket barrel and stock of your choice.

I bought a 7-08 used for $300, sold the barrel for $60... (and kept it 7-08).

You can also buy new actions from Northland Shooters Supply.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 31, 2013, 02:46 PM   #3
WadCutter1

So any long action Savage or Stevens with the barrel nut would work? The stock would for sure go, and a nice barrel would be great. How much would a prefit one usually cost?

Any of you have experience with Savageshooters.com? Thinking of joining up there and asking them as well.

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
taylorce1

First off if you want an Accutrigger buy a Savage, ASFAIK it can't be adapted to the Stevens 200. However there are many fine aftermarket triggers to be had that will work with the Stevens 200. My favorite trigger for the Stevens 200 is the Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) Competition trigger. It is a little light IMO for hunting applications but works fine for the target/varmint applications.

Savage Shooters is a great forum for the Savage rifle. There are a lot of guys with knowledge over there. They do require a paid membership to use the classifieds, but the knowledge is free. I paid for a three year membership, but rarely use the classifieds unless I'm selling something off of one of my Savage builds.

Last edited by taylorce1; June 1, 2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old June 1, 2013, 09:01 AM   #5
hooligan1

Find yourself an old "flat-top" style 110, 24" 1/9.25" twist, thats all that's needed for the 7mm rem mag and the best bullet offerings... those are accurate and easy to make superbly accurate with triggers like Tayloce1 mentioned or a Timney, a decent synthetic stock with some generous floating and pillar bedding,,,,, oh nevermind I'm thinking out loud again, this is what I'm looking to build next winter..
Old June 2, 2013, 11:17 PM   #6
WadCutter1

Thanks for all the opinions and thoughts!

I've called and looked around all the local gun shops, and NONE have a used 110-111-116 savage 7mm RM for sale. How is buying used guns online? I've bought and sold thousands of dollars of car parts online, but never a firearm.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:34 AM   #7
taylorce1

Buying online is simple and easy. Most online retailers and auction sites require you have an account, so you'll have to set that up first. They usually have as well a list of FFL transfer agents near you and the cost of the fees they charge. Find the transfer agent that you want to use and make contact with them and either get a copy of their FFL or see if the will fax it to the person you are buying from. Some online gunshops like Bud's might have a copy on file already so you won't have to go through that step.

Once you get your accounts set up and choose your FFL transfer agent you go shopping. This guy happens to have five 7mm RM in stock, if you chose to do so you would use the "buy it now" button to purchase it. Once you purchase it, you contact the seller and finalze the purchase details. Then you contact your FFL who will receive the rifle and handle the transfer, you let him know what is being shipped and from whom. If necessary this is when they'll fax the copy of their FFL to the seller.

Once the seller receives payment and a copy of the receiving FFL, they should provide you with a tracking number on the shipment. Then when your agent receives the rifle you go in and fill out the paperwork, pay the FFL fees, and hopefully walk out the door in less than an hour with your new rifle (unless you have a waiting period). Just like buying and selling anything else online except you have to use a third party if the rifle crosses state lines.

Just make sure to only buy from people who have a good track record. If the seller is unknown make sure the offer an three day or more inspection period and a full refund minus shipping at a minimum when buying used. Check closely the shipping costs which should never exceed $35 IMO, as I've shipped several and even with packaging materials and insurance I rarely exceed $30.
Old June 3, 2013, 04:19 PM   #8
tobnpr

In your case, buying online is simple- you don't care about the barrel or the stock, you just need a LA...

Look for one that's, well, not "beat up", but one that's well used perhaps. Even if the barrel is in great condition, you're only going to get around fifty bills for it.

Might consider just buying a new one if you can't find a "deal". Northland has new LA's for $300, complete.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...Stevens-Models

I don't know where you live, but here in FL, face-to-face sales are done all the time, there are statewide classified websites for firearms, free listings, and you can look for items for sale in your area, as well as sell them...without fees.

I buy/sell more FTF than I do on Gunbroker.
www.biggorillagunworks.com