The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 24, 2010, 02:40 PM   #1
cbhester

Distance of .220 Swift??

Alright, my thread regarding the .220 Swift still being the king caught lots of replys so now.... I've shot a little of a 22-250 and quite a bit .220 Swift. It seems to me that the .220 definatly has more range than the 22-250. Is this so? Also, as far as varmint guns go, is the .220 right up there or on top in the distance category?
Old January 24, 2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Chuck Dye

Poking around in the ammunition library of the Oehler Ballistic Explorer for top factory loads, the Hornady V-Max 55gr .22-250 is ±1" to 228.8 yards with a 1.5" sight height, the Federal .220 Swift 55 gr load to 235.4 yards. Those are software calculations. In the real world there are certain to be individual .22-250 rifles that will out perform individual .220 Swift rifles for muzzle vvelocity. There are other .22 caliber centerfire cartridges that will out run both, for instance the .223 Winchester Super Short Magnum and all manner of wildcats.
Old January 24, 2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Scorch

While the Swift proponents claim the Swift is superior to the 22-250 because of the added velocity, they are usually comparing a Swift with 40 gr bullets out of a 26" barrel to a 22-250 with 55 gr bullets out of a 24" barrel.

I went through the whole mental gymnastics about 30 years ago. Two friends of mine argued non-stop about which was better. Finally, they took their rifles to be chronographed (this was before skyscreens, chronographs used relatively expensive shoot-through screens), one a Ruger 77V 220 Swift with a 26" tube, the other a Ruger 77V 22-250 with a 24" tube, both loading the same bullet to the highest velocity they could get. Although the Swift was faster, the velocity difference was only about 100 fps. That started the whole thing over, because then they argued about the extra 2" of barrel the Swift has. So I decided to settle the matter. Since I was building a 22-250, I used a full-length uncut barrel blank, which gave me a 27 7/8" barrel. Results: my 22-250 was faster than the Swift with the same bullet weight. The only problem was that I couldn't use the loads my friend had loaded up, the bullets disintegrated in flight, so I had to go to heavier bullets in order to take advantage of the longer tube. I ended up with 53 gr bullets at about 3,950 fps. Later, I switched to 55 gr SPBT at 3,870 fps, still a screamer load. Since then, I have rebarreled the rifle 4 times, I have switched powders from IMR4320 to H380 to W760, and I have shot Sierra, Hornady, and Nosler bullets. No matter what, I just love the cartridge. Performance is outstanding.

So, my experience shows that all things being equal, there is little if any practical difference between the 220 Swift and 22-250. Both are fantastic varminting cartridges. Pick your favorite and shoot it.
Old January 29, 2010, 05:54 PM   #4
cbhester

Alright, thanks for the posts, but one question. I'm not one of these extremely knowledgable gun people all though I do shoot often, I just don't know much about the technical side of things. So.... how can the 22-250 practically keep up in distance and speed with the 220 swift when the cartridge is considerably smaller, so the 22-250 can't have as much charge behind it. I don't know maybe I sound really ignarnt asking that but I just gotta know.
Old January 29, 2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
how can the 22-250 practically keep up in distance and speed with the 220 swift when the cartridge is considerably smaller, so the 22-250 can't have as much charge behind it
* The 220 Swift case is not that much larger than a 22-250 case, it has 47.6 gr of water capacity vs 44.75 for the 22-250 (6% additional capacity).

* The 220 Swift case is longer, but smaller in diameter than the 22-250 case. Shorter, fatter cases are supposedly more efficient. This is how a 300 WSM can match velocities of the 300 Win Mag with a smaller case.

* While the Swift does have more capacity, whether or not it is usable is the question. Larger cases only translate into higher velocity if you can exploit the advantage, and a case with 50% more capacity does not translate into 50% more velocity, more like 20%. Compare a 30-06 to a 300 Win Mag, keeping in mind that the Win Mag has 28% more case capacity than the 30-06 yet only generates about 10% higher velocities. And as the bore size gets smaller, the difference becomes harder to exploit.
Old January 29, 2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For the same bullet, let's assume the Swift gets 200 ft/sec more muzzle velocity. So, 3,800 vs. 4,000.

Big (bleep!) deal. I really don't see how there will be any practical difference out in ruined-varmint country. It might make a difference about the bullets dropping back to sub-sonic, but who cares?
Old January 29, 2010, 09:52 PM   #7
crghss

After looking at the ballistics of factory ammo I amazed at how similare they are for these two cartridges. Almost identical.
Old January 30, 2010, 01:20 AM   #8
BuddhaSnipe

Hornady says that they are exactly the same when using the same bullet and same barrel length.

http://www.hornady.com/store/220-Swift-55-gr-V-MAX/

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-250-Rem-55-gr-V-MAX/
Old January 30, 2010, 12:34 PM   #9
WIN71

Yeah.......yeah..........yeah

Quote:
Big (bleep!) deal. I really don't see how there will be any practical difference out in ruined-varmint country. It might make a difference about the bullets dropping back to sub-sonic, but who cares?
I'd probably feel the same way if the only two calibers I had were a 219 Zipper and a 30 gov't 03.

Actually, without burning up 3 barrels, I too settled on a 22-250 with similar results as Scorch. It's a single shot Mauser with a 26 inch Donnelly barrel. I stay with 50 gr. bullets and always with WW 760.

Incidentally Art, I wish I did have a 219 Zipper. I did upgrade to a 30 gov't 06 though.
Old January 30, 2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
For the same bullet, let's assume the Swift gets 200 ft/sec more muzzle velocity. So, 3,800 vs. 4,000
Folks can assume all they want, but if it ain't so, it ain't so. Real life, same weight bullet, same length barrel, same powder, they are about the same. But some folks like redheads, some blondes, some brunettes. Pick one or the other, they're both good.
Old January 30, 2010, 02:46 PM   #11
spitpatch

I have owend both for many years. Shot I don't know how many prairie dogs over the years with both. Also play around on the bench testing loads. I have to say that after much shooting and varmit hunting over the years that the 22-250 is inherently more accurate than the swift, also much easier to reload. If your not a veteran reloader you would want to go with the 22-250. I also like to keep my loads so they are not erosive.
Old January 30, 2010, 03:12 PM   #12
12-34hom

The 220 Swift is a good varmint round, out to 400 yards. After that the crosswinds play a big factor.

I shoot a 6mm AI - with a 55 grain Nosler B.T. i worked a load that exceeds 4000fps. It's deadly at 300 yards, in fact it's one of my favorite crow loads when the winds are light.

Many claimed the swift to be a barrel burner, with proper shooting techniques, and cleaning + stainless steel barrel, that will last for 2000 plus rounds.

Each to his own when choosing caliber for hunting, I've shot the swift and 22-250, both have merits.

I just bought a Remington XP-100 - Caliber 223. That's part of the fun, finding out each round suits your particular weapon and shooting its habits.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

Tags
220 , swift , varmint