The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 21, 2018, 03:07 PM   #1
DPris
Member Emeritus

Big Snake Hunting

If you were going on the hunt for a 40-foot anaconda in the Everglades, which long gun would you take?
Denis
Old October 21, 2018, 06:00 PM   #2
oldscot3

Does a stainless 12 gauge pump count as a long gun?

Extended mag and 3" shells.
Old October 21, 2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

I'm with Oldscot. A snake that long (40 ft.) would be pretty thick, so penetration would be important. A head shot from a 12 gauge loaded with 000 buckshot would likely be effective. Evidently gator hunters use 22 lr to put down gators.
Old October 21, 2018, 06:55 PM   #4
2damnold4this

is your objective to exterminate the anaconda or are you hunting it for food or the skin?
Old October 21, 2018, 07:35 PM   #5
Dufus

IF I ever saw an anaconda in the Everglades, I would think the world has turned upside down.

Being so, 12 ga 2 3/4" full of #4 or maybe #2.
Old October 21, 2018, 08:16 PM   #6
bamaranger

snakes

Pump shotgun for sure, short barrel, slug or riot type, just for ease of carry and storeage. Ranges would be close I'm thinking. Also thinking I'd go with a 12ga, and simple 1-1/4 oz shot loads. I dunno how thick the skull on a giant anaconda could be? Does one really need buckshot? Beats me.

But at 30 ft or so, a load of relatively heavy bird shot to the noggin would kill a lot of stuff. BB's or #2 lead? Don't think I'd go smaller than that, or larger than #4 buck. I dunno.........never handled a snake that big.
Old October 21, 2018, 08:21 PM   #7
Dano4734

Snakes scare the snot out of me, I would want a flame thrower
Old October 21, 2018, 08:23 PM   #8
big al hunter

Snakes aren't bullet proof ...but the target is small ...so .....my Rem 700 in .243 win. It's accurate and with light varmint bullets would make an awesome mess of a 40' anacondas head
Old October 21, 2018, 08:38 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

A 40-foot anaconda in Florida?
I'd rope it, break it, ride it home, and name it "Muffin".
Old October 21, 2018, 09:15 PM   #10
Roadkill2228

To date there has never been a reliably confirmed snake of any species that long (longest is the reticulated python, heaviest is anaconda). But if there was, i think everyone has the right idea with shotguns making sense. Most real world option being a 12 gauge 3.5” buck round, ideal choice being a 4 bore or something along those lines, with a lot more buckshot. Snakes are super muscular and apart from the spine/brain don’t really have any massive bone structures or joints that can be destroyed for an instant stop/anchoring effect. Shotguns increase the likelihood of striking the CNS, a very small and moving target within a misleadingly large and hard to kill creature. If not a shotgun then a powerful rifle using lightly constructed bullets going really fast so as to destroy as much soft tissue as possible as again there’s not much benefit to deep penetration and joint busting ability on a long skinny critter with no joints. The only exception is if you want to shoot it lengthways. Do you think the 600 overkill with solids could make a Texas heart shot through 30 feet of snake with straight line penetration?
Old October 21, 2018, 09:29 PM   #11
BarryLee

I would ask my fishing companion Marco Rubio to have one of his body guards kill it. Then we'd all travel to South Beach for a big party and some new snake skin boots.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 21, 2018, 11:26 PM   #12
big al hunter

Quote:
The only exception is if you want to shoot it lengthways. Do you think the 600 overkill with solids could make a Texas heart shot through 30 feet of snake with straight line penetration?
If you can get a rifle to shoot a bullet that corkscrews through the air, then someone should be able to make a bullet up to the task of shooting through 30 feet of snake.
Old October 22, 2018, 01:27 AM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
If you were going on the hunt for a 40-foot anaconda in the Everglades, which long gun would you take?
A .50 BMG and I'd start looking for it in Amarillo.
Old October 22, 2018, 07:41 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The longest snake of which I recall from the news was an 18-foot python. It was found beneath a house in a subdivision around (IIRC) Fort Lauderdale. I've not read of an anaconda down in the Glades.

Monitor lizards in the area around Ft. Myers, if you want a more active target.
Old October 22, 2018, 07:53 AM   #15
dahermit

Quote:
I've not read of an anaconda down in the Glades.
Neither had I. I thought the poster must have it confused with a Burmese Python, then I googled and found this:
https://slate.com/technology/2013/11...ed-states.html
Old October 22, 2018, 09:44 AM   #16
FITASC

Quote:
Evidently gator hunters use 22 lr to put down gators.
No, they use bang sticks in either 357 or 44mag

Quote:
Quote:
I've not read of an anaconda down in the Glades.
Neither had I. I thought the poster must have it confused with a Burmese Python, then I googled and found this:
https://slate.com/technology/2013/11...ed-states.html
Don't forget we have gators and crocs down there too.......and the snakes are winning; then there's the lion fish but for those you need a spear gun
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 22, 2018, 11:13 AM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

Focus on the artillery, not the specific foot-length.
We COULD go with a 39-footer....
Denis
Old October 22, 2018, 11:14 AM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
No, they use bang sticks in either 357 or 44mag
That depends upon who you are, and where.
I believe the reply was referring to gator hunters in general, not those in the everglades, specifically.
Florida doesn't allow the use of firearms, but other places do.
Old October 22, 2018, 11:44 AM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

A good long sword and Conan the Barbarian to wield it vs. Giant snake.
Conan the talk show host would be fun to watch, but I'd put money on the snake..

why bother with a long gun?? Desert Eagle .44 Mag, and FMJ!!! There's no point to shooting a giant snake anywhere but in the brain (unless you're using 40mm + explosive rounds)

Ok, new choice, long gun, 90mm recoilless rifle!! With Flechette(beehive) round!

Old October 22, 2018, 11:48 AM   #20
T. O'Heir

"...the world has turned upside down..." It has. There are Burmese pythons and anacondas in Florida. The snakes and gators are fighting over who will be the top predator.
Oh and a 10 foot pole will kill a snake. Except those pythons and anacondas grow a lot bigger than that. Might be the only time buckshot would be the best choice. Just remember that to a 40 foot anaconda, you are food.
The Slate.com page is dead. Lots of pictures(6,730,000 results) from an "anaconda in Florida" net search. Including pictures of gators and snakes eating each other. One where a snake burst after eating a big gator.
Old October 22, 2018, 02:09 PM   #21
FITASC

Quote:
That depends upon who you are, and where.
I believe the reply was referring to gator hunters in general, not those in the everglades, specifically.
Florida doesn't allow the use of firearms, but other places do.
Florida does most certainly allow the use of bang sticks in 357 or 44; they are sold at the airboats makers and others who cater to supplying the gear for gator hunters

https://www.krugerfarms.com/blog/fiv...ng-in-florida/
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 22, 2018, 05:27 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Florida does most certainly allow the use of bang sticks in 357 or 44; they are sold at the airboats makers and others who cater to supplying the gear for gator hunters
Flip your perspective.
I was referring to the use of things OTHER than bang sticks - such as those you protested against in the originally quoted retort.
Old October 22, 2018, 05:33 PM   #23
Sevens

So we are talking a constrictor and nothing venomous?

I'd take something small and Hi-cap, let's say my S&W 469 or a 6906. I'd let him swallow me... then I'd shoot my way out! That would be a great story for the Grandkids!
Old October 22, 2018, 05:52 PM   #24
pwc

Not a snake but.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Croc.jpg (85.2 KB, 46 views)
Old October 22, 2018, 08:58 PM   #25
Colorado Redneck

Gator hunters

I watched a few episodes of Swamp People, and they were using 22 long rifle to dispatch their quarry. Here is a short article about that subject:
https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...lligator-ammo/