The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old October 1, 2009, 11:55 PM   #26
.300 Weatherby Mag

.243 with a 95 or 100 gr bullet is my min...
Old October 2, 2009, 12:02 AM   #27
Fat White Boy

For most big game in the US? Plasma rifle in the 30 Watt range. For brown bears- something in the 40 Watt range...
Old October 2, 2009, 01:24 AM   #28
uncledewey

Ohio Hunter

Unfortunately we aren't allowed cemterfired rifles in Ohio to hunt deer. We can use a bow, a muzzle loader, center fire or flintlock, and shot gun. I use a Savage Slug Rifle. it shoots 300 gr. Hornady in a shot group at 3/4" at 100 yds. Therefore, I don't even need a rifle. This round puts them down right now! "Cemetary Dead"!
Old October 2, 2009, 08:44 AM   #29
A_Gamehog

Some good answers

Crankylove, I grew up on a cattle ranch. My stepdad/hunter I learned to hunt deer with used a Hornet, and he took many large Blacktails with it 150lbs+ however the most frustrated I have ever seen him is when we lost a large 5 pt. he "lung shot" at 150+ yards, and this is a man who could literally "track a swarm of bees in a snowstorm". Too many times I have seen deer get away from well placed shots with poor bullets. You don't want my opinion on hunting Elk with that rifle at any load. However sitting in a tree stand performing head shots under 100 yards would work. Most hunters don't think of every possible senario before the shot and get caught unprepared, eg. running broadside, 3 at once lined up. I would agree with prior posts that bullet selection is key, I used Nosler partitions and remington bronze points for years. I now use Barnes TTSX 180's and I have one load and one gun I use only for deer and elk. It goes back in the cabinet for the rest of the year. Confidence in the gun and knowing it's limits are to me most important.

So I guess to take a poll,any deer under 100lbs. anything goes..
Old October 2, 2009, 04:41 PM   #30
Jack O'Conner

Years ago in the 1960's, we knew a man who lived in the mountains above Whitewood, South Dakta. He was what you'd call a "violator". That is, he took big game out of season. Dad told us kids that we didn't need to turn him; he'd get himself caught eventually. It was not our business if this older guy violated or not. I'll call him Karl for this post.

Karl hunted whitetails, mulies, and even occasional elk with his 38-40 carbine. How do I know this to be true? We found his empty cases often.

Karl placed his under-powered bullets in the right spot and fed his extended family. Yet 38-40 is a pip squeak on modern ballistic charts. In contrast, young men from the east show up with magnum rifles for antelope. A trophy antelope buck rarely weighs in more than 130 lbs. So it goes.

My 22 magnum rifle will shoot clover leafs at 75 yards. Will it topple a big muley with a brain shot at this distance? Truthfully, I don't know. But in theory, it would get the job done.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; October 2, 2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: text and photo added
Old October 2, 2009, 09:22 PM   #31
SavageSniper

I have taken deer with an assortment of firearms from .22 up to 12 guage. Knock on wood, I have never lost one. I have taken some with my .223 and they either dropped right there or made it about 50 yards. Same as with a 270 etc. Here in the South it is plenty and I will believe that until I prove myself wrong. I have seen more deer lost or had to be tracked a long way due to being shot with Buckshot than anything else. IMHO the .223 is far superior to buckshot.
Old October 2, 2009, 09:26 PM   #32
DiscoRacing

i fancy at least .308 myself
Old October 3, 2009, 11:20 AM   #33
Deerhunter264

i believe anything will kill a deer as long as you hit it in the right spot. I know a guy who hunts deer with and 22 magnum and they have all droped in there tracks. He is taking about 25 yard shots to 50 yard shot and he shoots them in the brain. He has taken at least 20 or more this way. He has said he has taken them even with a 22 winchester, but he has only taken like 2 and they were out squirell hunting. i personally like the .243 has not failed me yet.
Old October 3, 2009, 11:54 AM   #34
Hawg

A .22 short will kill a deer if you hit it right. I use a 30-06 or .54 Hawken. I've seen the results of too many bad hits with 243's, etc. Not saying you can't lose a deer with the bigger calibers but it's less likely.
Old October 3, 2009, 12:01 PM   #35
rickyjames

i am a big big fan of the 243
Old October 3, 2009, 12:13 PM   #36
oldone

Personally I use the 7.62x39fmj with an SKS. With a well placed shot as used by a bow hunter, I have harvested white tail deer, wild hogs (350lb+ range) and elk. Some just fall right down and some I have to follow a blood trail for a dozen yards or so.
I've used a 22mag once and it worked fine for a deer.
I have a .177 air gun (1390fps) that I have shot small pigs with and it works just fine.
The skill of the hunter is the most important item here. If a 324fps arrow will harvest most game in the US, then just about most calibers will work.
Old October 3, 2009, 12:18 PM   #37
fisherman66

Quote:
If a 324fps arrow will harvest most game in the US, then just about most calibers will work.
While I don't disagree with your basic premise, the arrow works in a very different manner. Aside from mechanics, the skill of a bowhunter is usually more refined than the typical once a year deer hunter.

I wouldn't be comfortable with a newbie reading some of these posts that say a rimfire is adequate. Absolutely it can be done (quite easily), but shot selection is critical and timing of deer movement is paramount.
Old October 3, 2009, 02:24 PM   #38
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I wouldn't be comfortable with a newbie reading some of these posts that say a rimfire is adequate. Absolutely it can be done (quite easily), but shot selection is critical and timing of deer movement is paramount.
...Aside from the fact that rimfires are illegal for most game animals, and almost all big game.

That's one theme that hasn't shown up much in this thread: the legality of many of the cartridges being discussed.

Would I feel comfortable using my Buckmark pistol, .22 WMR, or my brother's .22 Hornet for a brain shot on most big game? Yes. (Given the right range and bullet.)
Would it be legal in any of the states where I hunt? Absolutely not.
Old October 3, 2009, 02:37 PM   #39
gun nut

243 is really the minimum in my area. We have large deer(whitetail mainly).
Old October 3, 2009, 03:28 PM   #40
James R. Burke

Just myself a .243 and up. I know you can kill deer with .223 if you are skilled, and wait for the correct shot placement like any rifle. You need to know the shoots to pass on, and be able to leave them walk if needed. It will work, but just myself it would be a .243 or up.
Old October 3, 2009, 09:58 PM   #41
plainsman456

I have a 250 sav AI and a 7x57 so i guess they will do.Good Luck
Old October 9, 2009, 09:22 PM   #42
kron

These have been used on doe only, and for head/neck shots exclusively, but all have worked perfectly with immediate drops/kills during some of our hunts on Texas whitetails this year:

204 Ruger
22 Hornet
223 Rem

Most were shot at 50-100yds.

For anything like body/vitals shots the calibers used have been larger like a 308, 6.5x55, or similar.

Like many others, I prefer more power for anything bigger than the 80-120lb doe. Usually a 6.5x55 or 308.
Old October 9, 2009, 09:46 PM   #43
Daryl

Quote:
I've seen the results of too many bad hits with 243's,
Most folks I know who can't shoot well don't shoot better as the recoil increases. If they can't place a bullet with a .243, they need to spend more time shooting and learning their own limitations as well as the limitations of the cartridge. A bigger gun to compansate for poor shooting is generally a bad idea.

A more powerful cartridge CAN give a shooter more effective range, but it can't be utilized very well if the shooter can't hit where they need to.

Daryl
Old October 9, 2009, 09:54 PM   #44
orionengnr

Well, I am not The Great White Hunter, but I will share these observations:

1. Florida deer are different than Michigan deer. The size of the animal dictates the minimum acceptable caliber. Ergo, general statements such as ".223 is inadequte/unethical for deer" are useless unless quoted in a certain context.

2. Shot placement is everything. Do a search and you will find plenty of examples of people who buy a .300 WinMag and cannot shoot it accurately.
I remember talking to a guy behind the counter at Sportsman's Warehouse who claimed to have harvested a deer with a Ruger .22LR MkIII Hunter and a 100 yard head shot. (FWIW, I think he was full of it, and told him as much but I could be wrong.)
Old October 9, 2009, 10:12 PM   #45
Ricky

Minimum round for deer

I think .243 is the smallest round that is ethical. Sure a .22 cal. will work but stuff happens. The animal deserves at least a quick and painless as possible death.
Old October 9, 2009, 11:23 PM   #46
Christchild

.243/6mm is dead minimum in ANY Cartridge, IMHO.

Sure, headshots with 22 Rimfire (or even Centerfire) have killed thousands upon thousands of deer, but 1... it's illegal. 2... Unless You're extremely Proficient, You're taking an UNnecessary chance of wounding that Game Animal. Like Fisherman66 stated, an animals movements present an even greater "challenge" and increase the risk if/when using not-well-suited cartridges. I'd turn to that if/when it's the only option and ENTIRELY necessary. I'm not that hungry yet.

.243" is dead minimum. .257" is much better. But even with .243" Cartridges, shot placement and bullet selection are critical, and You've definitely GOT to know what You're doing. Shot Placement is #1 in Killing Power using any cartridge, but smaller calibers increase that demand.

I'll stick with My .270 Winchester.
Old October 10, 2009, 06:01 AM   #47
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Some won't admit their own inabilities, and blame it on their gun, but it's the shooter that's responsible for the failure by failing to recognize the limitations of their own inabilities and those of their firearm/weapon of choice.
Well said Daryl.

In Kentucky, any .22 centerfire is legal for deer. While I've never hunted with either a .223 or a 22-250, I'd stick with a min .243. Not that a .223 or a 22-250 can't take a deer, but I owe it to the deer to make as clean a kill as possible. A larger round allows for me to recover if I make a mistake and don't hit the deer with a perfect shot.

As Daryl said, know yourself and know your gun. Make your shots within the limits of both.
Old October 10, 2009, 02:55 PM   #48
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

243 if I had to but would prefer a 257 Roberts or larger.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 10, 2009, 03:03 PM   #49
ZeroJunk

I don't see why you wouldn't use a larger cartridge than something in 22 caliber. A more powerful round will be a quicker killer sometimes. And, if you can't miss the meat you sure don't need to be using something where shot placement is paramount.
Old October 10, 2009, 05:37 PM   #50
L_Killkenny

Quote:
The 5.65 round was developed to take out a man (about the same size as your average deer) @ 200 yds. during a firefight where accuracy is secondary.
Deer about 10 times tougher than humans.

I would use my 22-250 with the right bullet IF I HAD TO. But then I'm used to much smaller targets. A deer would be a chip shot compared to a 250 yard bedded fox. I know my capabilities and that of the gun. Would I ever recommend it? Not on your life. If I was planning on a lifetime of deer hunting I'd buy a bigger gun. If it was a one time deal, I'd borrow a bigger gun.

I have no idea why someone going deer hunting would not choose a bigger caliber. It's not like they didn't know they were going. "IF" a hunter can only afford 1 rifle and needs it to be dual role (varmint/deer) than a .243 would be my minimum. But most hunters have multiple guns, no reason not to own a better caliber, .25 cal min. As a matter of fact, there are many .25's that would make a great dual role gun too.

LK
Closed Thread