The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 20, 2019, 06:35 AM   #1
Mobuck

we need a new thread

Darned Silencer Shop keeps baiting me with ads. Maybe it's time to get another can ordered. You can't have too many, right?
Old June 20, 2019, 10:56 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Too many? What is this crazy talk?

Accidentally bought another Harvester a little while back.
Then, I accidentally bought a Maxim 9. (Truly was accidental. Long story involving ignorance, confusion, stupidity, unfamiliarity with NFA items and processes, and new inventory management software being used by incompetent employees.)

Intentionally ordered a Bowers Vers 475 after that.

Three jailbirds haunt my dreams, wondering when the warden will issue their stamps. It'll be a while...
Old June 20, 2019, 02:48 PM   #3
TrueBlue711

I'm in the same thinking process. Still no pistol suppressor, so maybe time to get one. However, I'm moving next June. Not sure if I want to risk putting in the paperwork and potentially not be living in the same state I applied for it in. I'll probably just wait until I get to my next location.
Old June 23, 2019, 07:13 AM   #4
Road_Clam

I'm mulling back and fourth over a .22 rimfire silencer for my perfect host Ruger American bolt. I just can't get myself motivated to go through all the NFA BS again. I attach my Sig SRD762 can to my Ruger and when shooting CCI subs it's super quiet, don't know if I would truly gain less db's with a dedicated .22 rimfire can.
Old June 23, 2019, 01:41 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I just can't get myself motivated to go through all the NFA BS again.
Prints and photos. (Local PD and Costco, respectively, for me.) It takes $24 and about 45 minutes of my time, and then I write a $200 check and start the long wait.
If you have access to a SilencerShop kiosk, you can cut more than 50% of that time out of the process.
You can also take your own passport photos.

Of course, if you are using a complicated trust with a million 'responsible parties', then that's another matter ... and one of the reasons why I choose to only worry about me. (If family/friends want to use a suppressor or SBR, they can get their own. )

That being said...
I've run my Harvester 300 (in extremely limited round counts, exclusively for testing), on a .22 LR pistol and a .22 WMR rifle.
With subs, it is definitely quieter than the Tac-Sol Ascent 22 that was purchased for the rimfires. But the Ascent is still plenty effective.
With supers, it is my opinion that the sonic crack negates any difference in moderation between the two.