The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 1, 2021, 07:22 PM   #51
Geezerbiker

Here's a close up of the chamber as it is now. I'm going to polish the edge a bit more and I might post another pic.

It feeds now but it still catches once in a while. The way it banged up the cases when the smith forced the bolt hard is unacceptable. This isn't a military rifle, it's a varmint/target rifle and I shouldn't have to fire form my brass back to true after every firing...

Hopefully next week I can start a new thread about how well it shoots...

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chamfered1.jpg (78.0 KB, 22 views)
Old May 1, 2021, 10:36 PM   #52
Colorado Redneck

Hope it shoots great! Always fun to get acquainted with a new sweetheart. Guns are like women, they are all unique.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:41 PM   #53
Geezerbiker

I spent a a few minutes with polishing compound and a ball end shaped felt wheel on my dremel tool and for sure I made the chamfer ring more visible but other than getting polishing compound all over inside the rifle in spite of my best efforts not to, that's all I achieved. It's not worthy of more pix. I spent about a half hour flushing and mopping it out with Ed's Red and cotton patches and it sure looks clean now.

There's not much more to say until I can get out and shoot it.

About the TCM, that round was made with the M1911 in mind and I think there are better choices for a rifle. If I were to get another varmint rifle, I'd be looking at something in .221 Fireball or the .223 Short wildcat round...

Tony
Old May 2, 2021, 03:34 PM   #54
jetinteriorguy

Yeah I hear ya, the .221 or .17 fireball are also on my radar, but I’m mostly curious which would have the lower recoil and be a quieter report.
Old May 2, 2021, 09:43 PM   #55
Geezerbiker

Of the calibers mentioned, I think the Hornet would be the lowest report simply because it's the lowerest pressure round. For years I heard people say the Hornet wasn't very loud. I thought they were a bubble off level until I had a chance to shoot my Hornet next to a .223 Rem. The Rem sounded at least twice as loud. The Fireball rounds run about the same pressure as the .223 so I'm not going to guess they're any quieter...

Tony
Old May 3, 2021, 05:03 AM   #56
jetinteriorguy

That’s pretty much what I’ve been thinking, and I’d guess recoil on the Hornet to be very small. I’ve been thinking.17, but maybe the .22 would be better for wind. I’ll have plenty of time to think about it since it will be a while until components start being available again. Although the only thing holding me back right now would be dies and brass.
Old May 3, 2021, 01:05 PM   #57
Geezerbiker

If you go with the .17 Hornet, the loaded ammo is still available. Loaded rounds aren't that much more expensive than new empty brass or at least it was when I got mine. My .17 Hornet is a custom H&R single shot.

They used to be easy to do before H&R closed down. You'd take a .17 rim-fire barrel fit it to a center-fire frame and have the chamber cut to .17 Hornet. The gunsmith that did this .22k-Hornet did the work for me and is the reason I sent this rifle to him. I was happy with the work he did on the .17.... Who knows, maybe next week I'll be happy again after shooting the Ruger with the new barrel.

My .22 K-Hornet had a sporter weight barrel on it the last time I shot it and the recoil was more than 0 but still hardly noticeable but maybe tiny be more than a .22 rim-fire magnum. Now with a varmint weight barrel it'll be even less...

The Hornet rounds give a lot of reloads for a pound of powder but then again so does the .221 Fireball. At my age, I don't know if I'd shoot one more rifle more than all the others I have that don't get enough attention already or a Fireball would be on my get list...

Tony