The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 12, 2018, 09:50 PM   #1
condor bravo

Trigger group for M-1 Garand

Looking for an armory or other source for a complete trigger group for the M-1 Garand. Tried Fulton Armory but could not find any listed on their parts list. Any recommendations for finding one?
Old February 13, 2018, 11:29 AM   #2
RickB

I searched "garand trigger" on ebay, and four or five complete units were on the first page of results, mostly priced in the $50-$100 range.
Old February 13, 2018, 01:02 PM   #3
condor bravo

Yes, quite a few hits myself. The lower prices seem to be for just the trigger rather than the entire group.
Old February 13, 2018, 02:33 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

I suspect it's the "complete" part that's causing the grief. Trigger groups are usually sold by the individual part. Pricey way to do it too. Especially as everybody seems to think it should match the manufacturer of the receiver.
Old February 13, 2018, 10:14 PM   #5
condor bravo

Right on. My gunsmith is evaluating an unusual problem and recommends a replacement trigger group. Outpost armory has them listed around $200 and Fulton armory, as would be expected, has the complete groups. Trigger groups for AK and AR types run twice as much.
Old February 13, 2018, 10:49 PM   #6
HiBC

You might try CMP,if you are set up to buy from them.
I'm pretty sure there are some trigger groups on e-bay
Old February 14, 2018, 12:05 AM   #7
sprouticus

Dupage Trading tends to have good deals on M1 parts.

I have done business with them quite often.
They are a very reputable company.

Here ya go.
A full SA trigger group for $75.00.
(the safety tip is snapped off, but it still functions fine)

https://www.dupagetrading.com/produc...ger-mechanism/
Old February 14, 2018, 12:25 AM   #8
tangolima

There are indeed complete trigger groups on eBay. They are also available from numrich.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old February 15, 2018, 01:00 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Try CMP
Old February 15, 2018, 09:40 AM   #10
Nodak1858

What is the problem you are having? Instead of replacing the entire trigger group maybe you can swap out a piece or two.
Old February 15, 2018, 10:47 AM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
What is the problem you are having? Instead of replacing the entire trigger group maybe you can swap out a piece or two.
Exactly! Just because your gunsmith cannot figure it out, he wants to just swap-out the trigger group. FYI, years ago my Garand began to double when I was shooting it in meets. Having a machining background and a compulsive "fixer", I determined that the likely cause was the "hooks" on the hammer had become worn. Bought a new hammer, installed it...problem fixed, did not need an entire new trigger group.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:29 AM   #12
tangolima

Most M1 problems are not very difficult to fix, and seldom require replacing more than a few parts. However, buying parts individually are rather expensive. You could get better value to buy the whole assembly, if say you will need 3 parts out of that.

-TL

Old February 15, 2018, 01:36 PM   #13
condor bravo

The problem is this. Pressing the trigger does not fire the rifle, no trigger movement whatsoever. Then release trigger pressure and the round fires. Possibly trigger sear problem but not sure. Accordingly, replacing the trigger group might be preferable. Was happening about 20% of the time making it harder to diagnose.
Old February 15, 2018, 04:00 PM   #14
tangolima

Wait. Let's start from the beginning.

Rifle empty. Pull back op handle. Bolt locks back.

Load the clip. Bolt forward.

Pull trigger. No trigger movement. Rifle doesn't fire. Release trigger pressure. Rifle fires.

The last step makes no sense at all. Do I understand it correctly?

-TL

Old February 15, 2018, 05:53 PM   #15
condor bravo

Yes you understand it correctly. Doesn't make much sense at all. Sort of like a release trigger on a shotgun. No objection to paying for a complete trigger group if that will cure the situation.

I only fired two clips when it was doing that but not on every shot, some 6 or 7 times out of the 16.

Last edited by condor bravo; February 15, 2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:16 PM   #16
Nodak1858

Did anyone do a trigger job on it?
Old February 15, 2018, 11:54 PM   #17
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor bravo View Post
Yes you understand it correctly. Doesn't make much sense at all. Sort of like a release trigger on a shotgun. No objection to paying for a complete trigger group if that will cure the situation.

I only fired two clips when it was doing that but not on every shot, some 6 or 7 times out of the 16.
So absolutely no trigger movement when it is pulled. Not even trigger take-up? If so quite likely someone has monkeyed with the trigger, possibly trying to make a single-stage trigger out of it. But I still can imagine how it is possible.

Perhaps the hammer and the trigger will need to be replaced. But since the smith has no clue, replacing the whole assembly may be the way.

-TL

Old February 16, 2018, 12:20 AM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd find a competent smith.
Old February 16, 2018, 01:28 AM   #19
condor bravo

No a trigger job had not been done on it. I have three M-1s and this one had been sitting around for a couple months waiting for its turn to be used. Then the next time out the malfunction started on the first shot. The Smith does gun work for the P.D. which takes priority and also manufacturers guns for various departments so I haven't been pressing him much on this. He apparently was having some difficulty finding a proper trigger group so I reminded him we had previously used Fulton Armory on another M-1 with good results, and at the same time time asked around for possible other sources (see above posts).

No take up on the trigger whatsoever when it would go into the trigger release mode. I'm all for replacing the entire trigger group.

Last edited by condor bravo; February 16, 2018 at 01:34 AM.
Old February 16, 2018, 01:32 AM   #20
sprouticus

It defiantly sounds like a serious issue.
I would guess it's most likely a combination of worn hammer & trigger hooks plus maybe a bent trigger pin.

A book I highly recommend for all Garand owners is Walt Kuleck's M1 Garand complete assembly guide.

He gives very detailed instructions on a complete disassembly & reassembly.
But best of all he shows how to inspect for worn out parts (with lots of pics).

https://www.amazon.com/M1-Garand-Com...assembly+guide
Old February 16, 2018, 03:15 AM   #21
tangolima

Ok, I think I know what you have. The problem never happens for the first round of a fresh clip, correct? One round fired. You let go the trigger. The trigger is stuck in the pulled position, never resets. You pull the trigger again. There is no trigger movement as it is already in the far most backward position. When you let go the trigger again, the hammer drops. Sounds right?

The secondary sear engagement is not negative enough to reset the trigger consistently. The primary sear engagement may be marginal too. A smith who is familiar to M1 fire control should be able to correct that. A new trigger group will correct that too, if it doesn't have problems of its own.

It may be due to wear. But it is more likely someone was trying his hands on do a trigger job perhaps.

-TL

Old February 18, 2018, 10:51 PM   #22
1MoreFord

Try Roland Beaver (aka Old Corps Weaponry) in Batesville, AR.