The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 13, 2018, 12:46 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Zastava M85 "Mini Mauser"

Several years ago they were being sold by J&G Sales in Arizona. Unfortunately for me, I hesitated too long, and missed out. Are they still being manufactured? Are they still being imported? If so, by whom?

I'm mostly interested in 7.62x39, but I'd consider 5.56x45.
Old May 13, 2018, 01:26 PM   #2
fourbore

I have seen the in that last year at cabelas. I dont know if they were a catalog item. These were out on the floor where the low end used guns are racked. It might be worth calling a few in your predetermined max radius of travel. I dont now where CONUS is, but; cabelas are pretty well spread out.

That does not mean you will find one today. The importation seems like a on/off again situation for the bolt actions, rimfire, mini-bolt and std length bolt.
Old May 13, 2018, 03:11 PM   #3
HiBC

I can't give you a leade on finding them.Remington bought the rights to the Zastava and offered the 798 full size Mauser and the 799 mini for a while.They were discontinued.
While I never saw one for sale, they (Zastave/J+G) cataloged a 22-250 version. It seemed to me to be ideal for the Remington Bench Rest series,I was thinking 6.5 Benchrest. Nice thought,but no action.
What I can suggest is that Howa offers a fairly reasonably priced mini-bolt barreled action and Brownell's often has them for sale.
Someone,maybe Bell and Carlson? offers a composite stock.

And,of course,you can spend a bit more for the CZ. They offer some nice,accurate rifles.

FWIW,the Howa is available in 6.5 Grendel,also

Last edited by HiBC; May 13, 2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old May 14, 2018, 06:52 AM   #4
stevelyn

I bought a couple left-handers from K-VAR some years back. It doesn't look like they are carrying the M-85 these days. But it may not hurt to ask.

http://k-var.com/zastava

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old May 14, 2018, 07:03 AM   #5
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
I bought a couple left-handers from K-VAR some years back. It doesn't look like they are carrying the M-85 these days. But it may not hurt to ask.

http://k-var.com/zastava

Good post. I did not know anyone had this complete an inventory for Zastava
Old May 14, 2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Scorch

Century Arms is the current importer for Zastava firearms. Try calling them.
Old May 14, 2018, 03:31 PM   #7
fourbore

I called K-Var, the link with all the Zastava posted by Steve. I asked about my needs (not the 85). I was told that at this time, no one is importing zestava rifles. It does not sound promising. I guess, for the short term or not so short term, we are limited to what is out there.

I did see some new M85 in 223 on the web. I recommend the cz in that space. it is a true Mauser, not a push feed like the M85. And the stocks do not need to be refinished.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:40 PM   #8
101guns

Ruger American can be had in this round now....realize off topic but all my Americans shoot lights out.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:13 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

You had 2 options. Century or somebody called Fime Group Llc in Vegas. No mention of Zastava on either site though. Lots of Zastava stuff on the assorted auction sites.
Old May 21, 2018, 06:39 AM   #10
bobn

I would want the exact specimen in my hands before I proceeded. I have had three different versions of the mini mausers. I do not learn things very well, lol.
...two had crappy wood and did not feed in 223. the 222 fed well but the top of the receiver needed a stack of shims to level the scope mounts.
.....bottom line> after shooting two different RAPs with no grief, that's my choice. bob.
Old May 23, 2018, 08:47 PM   #11
agtman

Just get a CZ 527 'mini'/short Mauser-action in whatever chambering, ... and be done with it.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:14 AM   #12
Scorch

Quote:
No mention of Zastava on either site though

On Century Arms' web site
https://www.centuryarms.com/ri1974-n.html
Old May 24, 2018, 02:12 AM   #13
HiBC

Right now ,in stock,on sale you can get a mini-Howa bolt barreled action for $259
A 6.5 Grendel is offered at higher cost.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...vers/index.htm
I've never used a Zastava Mini Mauser.Over the years,some buyers have had complaints I recall guard screws not accurately drilled

That may all be fixed and fine now,it was years ago.
Old May 24, 2018, 04:41 AM   #14
Mobuck

I bought a "Mini-Mauser" in 7.62x39 years ago because it was "cute" and basically one of very few choices for a low recoil kid's deer rifle. Function is hitchy and accuracy with the ammo available at that time was mediocre.
This may have improved (or maybe not) over the last 8-10 years. My "cute" little carbine hasn't seen daylight for nearly that long.
Old May 24, 2018, 03:06 PM   #15
Scorch

Quote:
Right now ,in stock,on sale you can get a mini-Howa bolt barreled action for $259
That is a barreled action. No stock. Although that is a good alternative, many people are not looking to assemble a rifle from parts. Also note that the Mini-Mauser is a lot easier to field carry due to the flush magazine floor plate, the other rifles mentioned have protruding magazines.

And if your Mini-Mauser is just sitting and you want to get rid of it, PM me.
Old May 24, 2018, 05:22 PM   #16
fourbore

Something I feel is worth a repeat. The zestava M70 is a true mauser action and at the cableas clearance price of $300, worth the price for the action alone.

The M85 so called "mini mauser" is a push feed with a FAKE cosmetic extractor. The gun, IMHO, has little parts value and certainly none of the traditional Mauser appeal.

That variation in fit and finish when perusing a rack of M70 was amazing. Some looked pretty good and only need a good strip and refinsh while others had gaps and blemishes in what I consider a total POS junk stock. The metal work appeared good with a real blue. Try and find a gun that is polished and blued today.

Blind buying one of these, sight unseen, any model, is a big gamble. I might, but; just be aware and dont be a cry baby later.