The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 14, 2018, 06:42 PM   #1
Gobsmack

Wilkinson Linda is a Blast!

So when RI decided to try for another AWB, I started buying. I have a large collection but it's pretty specific to certain items and I did not want to be left out-in-the-cold if things got banned that I might want some day.

I started checking the ban list. The Wilkinson Linda was mentioned twice (my legislators stole the Feinsten list and re-purposed it). I looked it up, it looked fun. I purchased the limited edition with folding stock. I bought an extra small and large mag. And holy cow, this thing is really fun and really accurate.

My wife, my son and my father-in-law and I all love it. I have not gotten to shoot it much because they always put 200-300 rounds in it while I stand around. I have a CX4 with stock trigger (yeah, I know I need it replaced) and don't like it nearly as much as the Wilkinson. They let me shoot the CX4.

A few things to note in comparing the two:

1. The Wilkinson is steel. All steel and it therefore eats recoil. But with a folding stock, it's not that heavy and it is easy to get the peep sight lined up. I have had problems with the CX4 stock. Cheek rest is too big, makes it hard for me to sight in. And you notice the recoil. Even when I run my light 9mm pistol rounds through it.

2. The Wilkinson trigger is pretty good. I have not pulled the weight on it but it's WAY better than the stock CX4. No one complains about it. My guess is in the 5-8 lb range but I have to confirm.

3. It is very accurate. With iron sights my wife and son were putting rounds into quarters at 25 yards. I expect an optic will help. Is this better an an AR15 in 9mm? Probably not. But everyone at the range comes up to admire your awesomeness.

4. It looks cool. Did I mention all your admirers?

5. You want an SBR? You unscrew the barrel and install the SBR barrel! Although, the barrel did start to unscrew on it's own last time we took it out so keep your eye on that.... A little blue loctite might be in order.

6. Negative: The mags are proprietary. Apparently some Hi-Powers might work? I have not followed up on it but the other issue with the mags is that they are very tight. UNBELIEVABLY tight. Tight to the point at which you are forcing a square peg into a round hole. No one in the family can insert them but me and it requires a lot of wiggling. That could be fixed.

I asked my 14 year-old, why do you like Linda? He said, "It's light, accurate and I don't feel much recoil." Wisdom out of the mouth of babes.

What I really want is a grease gun. I'm not going to get a grease gun and while the Linda is decidedly not a grease gun, it is a very fun firearm which fills that niche for me.

It has been utterly reliable, without a single failure, but the mag thing is an issue. And I do not mean the cost, I mean the fit. If you were to use this for home defense, load it with the 31 rounds mags. If you can't defend a home invasion with 31 rounds, I have no advice for you. You are clearly an international spy and should be using an MP5 and a bag of mags.