The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 22, 2018, 10:42 PM   #1
T_PRO_Z

Tc contender g2 45-70

Hello all.

In the recent years I have gotten into handgun hunting and come across my favorite handgun hunter, the tc contender. I have been using 30-30 reloaded with pointed ammunition :O. I recently picked up a 45-70 barrel and shot it about 20 times and I love it. But I have heard about streatched frames and such and really dont want to mess up any of my contender frames. I have an old contender frame I designated for hunting and it is the one I plan on leaving this beast of a barrel on. Will I be ok to shoot this a lot of not. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you!

P.s. I do not load over factory specs. I will not be shooting any 405gr moving at 2100 fps lol
Old August 23, 2018, 03:07 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I will not be shooting any 405gr moving at 2100 fps lol
probably a good idea! (if you could even get that from a pistol, I wouldn't want to shoot it)

I have shot 400gr @2100fps from a rifle and tis about all the recoil I am willing to endure.

I have a 14" .45-70 barrel on an old Contender frame (not the G2) and I am rather fond of it. I shoot a 400gr cast slug a couple grains of powder below the old Lyman factory duplication load. I'm not concerned with stretching the frame, and so far the cheap ($35) red dot I put on it has survived a couple hundred rounds over a decade. I'm not worried about making the .45-70 a magnum, not in that gun any way, first of all, the Contender is generally classed as the "Tier I" gun, the same strength class as the Trapdoor Springfield. And second, its a PISTOL, with a 14" barrel, so you're not going to get rifle speeds no matter what.

And, a few feet per second either way doesn't matter, the big bullet doesn't turn into a wimp if it goes a little slower, and doesn't shoot laser beam flat if it goes a little faster.

Recoil, is something else. Very individual thing. My gun wears Pachmayr rubber, which has a good grip and feel, for me. I find the recoil on the heavy side of "stout", but not as vicious as the whip with a 10" octagon .44 Mag barrel (really light barrel, compared to the 14" heavy barrel .45-70).

On the other hand, thinking you know what your doing and then doing it can be different things, until some experience teaches you. Friend of mine, not terribly experienced watched me shooting the .45-70, and wanted to try it. He thought he knew, but it wasn't until after we got the bleeding stopped that he really knew.

He said he had locked his wrists, but didn't think to tighten his elbows. The red dot sight wacked him smartly near the bridge of his nose!!! He DID hit the target. And, after we got the bleeding stopped and the laughing under control, he asked for another shot!!! (Thank you sir! May I have another? )

He did much better that time, ringing the steel we were shooting and not letting the gun get away from him.

I really like mine, its a (large) handgun, capable of one precise powerful shot at a time. And probably more accurate than I am.

I would avoid any and all of the "upgraded" factory ammo for the .45-70 Contender. Sticking to the black powder velocity stuff or equivalent handloads still delivers a very useful and useable result.

I avoided the Contender for decades, after all, it was "only a single shot". Then, one day I tried the trigger on one at a show, and later another at a shop, and realized I had been missing out on a "shootin' machine!" Not a combat gun, nor a personal defense gun, but an absolutely wonderful shooting gun, one that tested you to be your best, and delivered handsomely when you did.

I found them to be a ..little bit..addicting. I have barrels for .22LR, .22 Hornet, .222Rem, 9mm Luger, .357, 44Mag, ,45Colt/.410, .45Win Mag .30-30 and .45-70. I hope you get the joy from yours that mine have given me.
Old August 23, 2018, 05:06 AM   #3
T_PRO_Z

I have 3 frames 1 stainless g2 frame and 2 older frames. I picked the frame up that I use for hunting and all around shooting for 200 bucks without a grip and a little wear hear and there but it has served me well throughout the 2 years ive owned it. And its good to hear that others enjoy it as much as I do. I can't wait to take a deer with it this season! I have a 7mm tcu barrel 3030 44mag 730waters 22 hornet and a 223 barrel. Just looking to shoot steel quit often with it lol
Old August 23, 2018, 07:37 AM   #4
GarrettJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post

I found them to be a ..little bit..addicting.
You don't say.

I think I've added a few more barrels since this picture was taken.

Old August 23, 2018, 07:44 AM   #5
GarrettJ

I've loaded a 300 gr. JHP up to around 1500 fps with my 14" Contender, staying with Trapdoor pressure levels. Recoil is not much fun at that point. It's more pleasant at 1100-1200 fps with Trailboss powder.

The thing I struggle with is that I can get those velocities from the same weight bullet with my .45 Colt barrel, but with less felt recoil. So it gets hard to justify taking a pounding from the .45-70 for the same terminal performance.

Maybe the heavier bullets at 1000-1100 fps is where the larger cartridge starts to show more promise.
Old August 23, 2018, 01:36 PM   #6
T_PRO_Z

So you all don't recommend factory ammo for the 45-70? I have been shooting federal trophy bonded bear claws lol. I haunt got any dies for 4570 yet sadly.
Old August 23, 2018, 04:35 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So you all don't recommend factory ammo for the 45-70?
Not at all. I'm just recommending not shooting SOME "factory" ammo. Buffalo Bore and others like them ARE factory ammo, but may not be suitable loads. ASK THEM, FIRST!!!

Anything already marked as "do not use in Trapdoor Springfields" is not good ammo for a Contender. The "standard" Remington/Winchester, etc., 405gr ammo at black powder speeds and pressure is fine. Some other rounds might be as well. But not everything from every factory is guaranteed to be ok in the Contender.

Interestingly, I just checked a Hornady manual, and the max listed loads for the Contender are 2-4grns LESS powder than the max listed loads for the same bullet and powder in the Trapdoor Springfield.
Old August 24, 2018, 06:12 AM   #8
T_PRO_Z

What about 3030? Anything I should stay away from?